U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2013, 02:03 AM

9,183 posts, read 11,217,415 times

Advertisements

What are the dangerous areas of the city?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 03:52 AM

29 posts, read 72,728 times
Use Neighborhood Scout ---> Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

For example: For Oakland--->Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Also check out The OPD website: Crime Statistics ~ City of Oakland, California

And check out the OPD's virtual crime mapping (for crime within the last 90 days) for more details about what type of crimes occure in specific areas. You can also put in an address and see what crimes happened recently around there: CrimeView Community Incident Map

Crime in Oakland can be a problem unless you're in "the Oakland Hills"...

Last edited by Yac; 02-27-2013 at 07:34 AM..

Old 02-18-2013, 09:15 AM

28,234 posts, read 34,689,982 times
The post above isn't super accurate.

Downtown Oakland is pretty safe. Definitely safer than most urban downtowns. That doesn't mean it is incident free of course. There is some crime there. It isn't as safe as let's say, a suburban strip mall in Danville. But it is safer than most parts of Downtown SF and SOMA.

There are some general boundaries to be aware of, generally speaking west of the 980 freeway is less safe, that's the official boundary of West Oakland. North of Grand on Telegraph to about Macarthur is also a little sketchy, but not technically downtown I believe.

There are blocks of downtown with limited foot traffic, so they feel less safe after dark, since no one is there.

On the whole, I as a singe female, feel fine walking around most blocks after 10pm alone to give you some perspective. Telegraph between about 15th and 20th feels the busiest with foot traffic. And Old Oakland.

Broadway has pockets of activity after dark, but since it is a transit hub, even though there isn't always a lot of street level activity, there is a lot of traffic from buses/bart/cars.

Jack London Square feels a little bit more isolated, as there isn't much foot traffic, and it is warehouse-y. I like to stay away from the warehouse blocks there once it gets too late.

Chinatown is pretty active, I don't go there all that much, so I don't know what the late night street feel is.

As for the actual Lake? I don't like to walk on the path too late since it isn't well lit.

I have covered the bulk of the areas of downtown, and most are problem free as long as you use basic street smarts.

There are a handful of homeless people, and the occasional "character" but I have been strolling around downtown Oakland since the 90s, and felt reasonable safe then, and it has improved quite a bit year over year. It keeps getting safer.

There are also lots of safe areas of Oakland that are not in the "Hills" this is a misconception.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:19 AM

16,584 posts, read 25,579,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
The post above isn't super accurate.

Downtown Oakland is pretty safe. Definitely safer than most urban downtowns. That doesn't mean it is incident free of course. There is some crime there. It isn't as safe as let's say, a suburban strip mall in Danville. But it is safer than most parts of Downtown SF and SOMA.

There are some general boundaries to be aware of, generally speaking west of the 980 freeway is less safe, that's the official boundary of West Oakland. North of Grand on Telegraph to about Macarthur is also a little sketchy, but not technically downtown I believe.

There are blocks of downtown with limited foot traffic, so they feel less safe after dark, since no one is there.

On the whole, I as a singe female, feel fine walking around most blocks after 10pm alone to give you some perspective. Telegraph between about 15th and 20th feels the busiest with foot traffic. And Old Oakland.

Broadway has pockets of activity after dark, but since it is a transit hub, even though there isn't always a lot of street level activity, there is a lot of traffic from buses/bart/cars.

Jack London Square feels a little bit more isolated, as there isn't much foot traffic, and it is warehouse-y. I like to stay away from the warehouse blocks there once it gets too late.

Chinatown is pretty active, I don't go there all that much, so I don't know what the late night street feel is.

As for the actual Lake? I don't like to walk on the path too late since it isn't well lit.

I have covered the bulk of the areas of downtown, and most are problem free as long as you use basic street smarts.

There are a handful of homeless people, and the occasional "character" but I have been strolling around downtown Oakland since the 90s, and felt reasonable safe then, and it has improved quite a bit year over year. It keeps getting safer.

There are also lots of safe areas of Oakland that are not in the "Hills" this is a misconception.
^This pretty much. Downtown Oakland definitely feels safer than most downtowns of most large cities I've been to. Certainly much more so than DT San Francisco as jade said. And yes plenty of areas outside of the hills are safe. Comments like this are how one can tell who lives in and/or knows the city or not.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:37 AM

2,518 posts, read 3,832,898 times
According to Oakland Crime Spotting: Oakland Crimespotting

The downtown area has had over 240 violent crimes committed in the past 5 weeks. Since the beginning of the year, that accounts for nearly 20% of the violent crime in the city. Not sure I'd call it safe based on those stats.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:38 AM

3,771 posts, read 6,671,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelerD View Post
Crime in Oakland can be a problem unless you're in "the Oakland Hills"...
I don't agree with this in the least bit. And statements like this are a little irritating to me, no offense. The hills are cool and all - I'd certainly love to live in custom homes with unbeatable views, but you certainly don't have to be this insular to be safe in Oakland. Truthfully, I'd much rather live down from the hills than up in the hills if I had my druthers. I'd much rather live in a more diverse, exciting neighborhood with a better sense of community, so yeah, I don't agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post

The downtown area has had over 240 violent crimes committed in the past 5 weeks. Since the beginning of the year, that accounts for nearly 20% of the violent crime in the city. Not sure I'd call it safe based on those stats.

I no doubt appreciate your research, but there's no context to your numbers. Can you compare that to what we might consider "downtown San Francisco"? How do you accurately give someone an idea of what those numbers mean in comparison to other cities? Maybe that'd strengthen your argument that downtown Oakland, in particular, is unsafe... or maybe it wouldn't, but at least people would have a semblance of an idea of what those numbers really mean.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:39 AM

35,652 posts, read 62,937,459 times
FThere are plenty of non hills neighborhoods along 580 that I consider fine as far as crime-not to say that there is no crime but they are still pleasant.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:44 AM

3,771 posts, read 6,671,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post

In addition to my concerns about these numbers consisting of zero context, I also didn't count 240 violent crimes for downtown Oakland. I gave a very liberal reading of what "downtown" - including the entire Lakeside Drive area as well to give a basic swath, and only counted roughly 40 violent crimes for all of January, and what Crimespotting had of February.

Were you also counting West Oakland as downtown because the numbers don't add up?

Old 02-18-2013, 10:10 AM

6,135 posts, read 7,647,668 times
Downtown is actually pretty small. If you add Uptown/North Gate/Chinatown/Merrit/JLS/parts of West Oakland to the mix, then yeah there's going to be more crime.

240 incidents is a wild number though. Not sure what that came from

Old 02-18-2013, 10:15 AM

24,060 posts, read 24,221,144 times
Downtown Oakland is safer than Downtown San Francisco?

LOL ...that's like saying San Francisco doesn't have homeless people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland