Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 12:16 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times

Advertisements

Some friends are renting a house in Bolinas and have invited me to join them. None of us have ever spent time there, but it looks like a beautiful place.

1. I'd rather not rent a car if I can help it. Any suggestions on a shuttle or bus that I can take from SFO to there? I found a limo service, but I really don't need anything that fancy. I also found a city bus service, which would be ok except that I'd have to make a connection and I wonder if I'd have to wait a long time at some bus stop. Any thoughts?

2. Interested in any suggestions for things to do, favorite coffee shops or restaurants, etc. We love hiking, kayaking, and other outdoors activities, also museums, photography, going to hear a local singer in a coffee shop, and things like that. Not into partying or drinking--we're more the bird watching & beach strolling type.

3. Any other things we should know. Someone has warned us that driving is difficult because the residents hide all the street signs. Anything else we should know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 12:29 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,719,328 times
Marin Transit West Marin Stage Route 61

Old 02-20-2013, 02:17 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Golden Gate Transit from San Francisco. You'll find plenty of hangouts when you get there. Also take a look at the coffeehouses and funky shops in Stinson Beach, nearby. If you have a kayak, you could kayak in the Bolinas Lagoon. There's a hiking trail that goes up to Mt. Tamalpais. Google hiking trails in the area. Back when I used to visit Stinson, bars/drinking weren't even an option, I don't know about now. These are family-oriented beach communities.

As for directions, your friends should be able to give you workable directions that don't depend on street signs.

If you're taking the bus, it runs once/hr. You can get off at Muir Woods, and take an hour to stroll through the redwood park, before reboarding the bus, if you want. It's a great bus ride, I've done it many times. It's worth the trip. I hope you enjoy your stay.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:24 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,074,702 times
Bolinas is groovy but really small, you'll want to branch out. I'd really consider getting a rental car for you and your friends if they don't have anything, Marin is not really a public transit kind of place and it's a really cool place to drive, though the mountainous hairpin turns are pretty crazy. There's lots of places to go in Marin and having a car would really help you get to them. A rental car split between several people would be pretty affordable. Marin's just not San Francisco or Berkeley.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:42 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,457,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
As for directions, your friends should be able to give you workable directions that don't depend on street signs.
Presumably the bus drivers know where Bolinas is.

The problem with street signs is not so much within Bolinas itself, but on the road there. Whenever a sign is erected on Highway 1 pointing the way to Bolinas, local residents tear it down, thinking that will deter visitors to their rustic paradise. But judging from the amount of riffraff and graffiti I saw on the beach there when I visited, it's not working.

(For the record, the turnoff to Bolinas is 4.7 miles north of the intersection of CA 1 and Panoramic Highway.)

Old 02-21-2013, 10:19 AM

OK, got my initial ride from airport to Bolinas covered. Next question: day trip to SF. Sounds like taking the bus could be amusing (although time consuming). If I take the bus to the Sausolito Ferry, then take the ferry into SF, will I be within walking distance of anything worth seeing? We can walk a mile or two, as long as it's a relatively safe area.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
OK, got my initial ride from airport to Bolinas covered. Next question: day trip to SF. Sounds like taking the bus could be amusing (although time consuming). If I take the bus to the Sausolito Ferry, then take the ferry into SF, will I be within walking distance of anything worth seeing? We can walk a mile or two, as long as it's a relatively safe area.
Take the Blue & Gold Fleet ferry Bay Cruise San Francisco | Best of the Bay Cruises with Blue & Gold Fleet from Sausalito to Pier 41 at Fishermans Wharf in SF. Walk around the wharf and visit Pier 39 PIER 39, San Francisco. From Fisherman's Wharf you can take the "F" line of old antique street cars to the downtown area. You can walk to the far west end of Fisherman's Wharf to Ghirardelli Square Ghirardelli Square | and catch a cable car (at Beach & Hyde) to the downtown.

You'll find Fisherman's Wharf to be a total tourist trap! Have fun! The area is safe - it'll be just you and a million other tourists

Last edited by humboldtrat; 02-21-2013 at 01:42 PM..

Old 02-21-2013, 01:13 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,457,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
You'll Fisherman's Wharf to be a total tourist trap! Have fun! The area is safe - it'll be just you and a million other tourists
And several thousand aggressive panhandlers. Take a page from Nancy Reagan and just say no.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
And several thousand aggressive panhandlers. Take a page from Nancy Reagan and just say no.
Yikes, that many? So, sounds like a good day to "dress poor" and not carry a camera.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Yikes, that many? So, sounds like a good day to "dress poor" and not carry a camera.
Haven't been to Fisherman's Wharf in a LONG time but I wouldn't worry about the panhandlers. Just keep walking and they'll go after the next tourist right behind you. Many collect spare change by "entertaining" the tourists. Some are mimes and musicians and except for a few who bang away on bongo drums, some are good.

Last edited by humboldtrat; 02-23-2013 at 12:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland