Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2013, 10:00 PM

6 posts, read 5,946 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My job has offered me a chance to transfer and take a position in the SF area but I have my choice of where.

I can choose Vallejo, San Bruno, Fremont, Milpitas, or San Jose to work and would like to live within a half hour drive (during NON rush hour times) of those cities. I am not wanting to spend a ton of money on an apartment, no more than say 1200 a month. I could also choose to accept this position in Seattle area or Vancouver, WA area. I just chose SF because of weather but if you think that WA would be better, please say so and explain why you think so.

Thank you to all of you who give decent replies and aren't trying to just be a jerk about my budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 01:55 AM

409 posts, read 957,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haydnt View Post
Hi,

My job has offered me a chance to transfer and take a position in the SF area but I have my choice of where.

I can choose Vallejo, San Bruno, Fremont, Milpitas, or San Jose to work and would like to live within a half hour drive (during NON rush hour times) of those cities. I am not wanting to spend a ton of money on an apartment, no more than say 1200 a month. I could also choose to accept this position in Seattle area or Vancouver, WA area. I just chose SF because of weather but if you think that WA would be better, please say so and explain why you think so.

Thank you to all of you who give decent replies and aren't trying to just be a jerk about my budget.
Vallejo-emerging from bankruptcy. Impact on public services particulary police services would be of concern. Crime is a problem. Warmest of the bunch. No BART station so your options for getting from point A to B are more limited. IMHO can't think of any stand out qualities.

San Bruno-Just south of SF. Not a bad choice, Family oriented neighborhoods for the most part. Easy commute to SF ( I view being close to SF as a plus for arts, dining, and entertainment) and has a BART station. Mild temps throughout the year.

Fremont-lowest crime rate among the five choices. Has a BART station which helps avoid the awful bay area traffic. Warmer summer temps. Suburban feel so that may be a good or bad thing depending on what your interested in.

San Jose-My impression from friends who live there is apartments at that price will not be in a good area. However,SJ is a low crime area for a city its size. Warmer summer temps compared to Fremont. Really spread out.

Milpitas-Between Fremont and SJ. Suburban and may not appeal to those who want a bit more excitement. Crime is relatively low. Not connected to BART but near 880 and 680

Vancouver- across from Portland. You can shop in Portland Oregon, Oregon has no sales tax and live in Vancouver WA, Washington has no state income tax. I believe it does have higher crime rate compared to Fremont, Milpitas, San Bruno, and San Jose. Lowest rents of all choices but the salary may be adjusted for living in lower cost areas depending on your occupation and employer.

Seattle- Enjoy the surrounding beauty of the Pacific Northwest and the people are well mannered. However, the weather won't be as sunny as the SF Bay Area and definitely wetter...there's a reason for all that greenery... I think you'll get more bang for your buck as far as housing (assuming your salary doesn't change much depending on locale) and it's cleaner compared to SF. Plenty to do. No state income tax in WA.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:56 AM

6 posts, read 5,946 times
I have my salaries for both locations. If I take the job in Washington, I will make just under $1,000 a month more living in Washington than I will over California. Plus when you add California income tax I will make over $1,000 a month more being in Washington. The only thing pulling me to SF is the weather. My husband and I are from Texas where we get like 300 days a year of sunshine so moving to WA where you get like 130 days a year might be something to get used to.

Of the cities I mention, those are where I would be working, don't necessarily have to live there. I drive 15 minutes in non rush hour traffic to get to work now, so anything within 10 miles of those cities would work for us.

Lastly, we don't care about nightlife, dining, hip atmosphere, anything like that, we just want low crime and as inexpensive rent as we can find. So far it sounds like Fremont is going to be our best option.

What do you know about Oakland, Richmond, or Hayward? What are their crime rates? I have found them to be the cheapest areas so far as far as cost of living comparisons go.

Thank you for your reply it was very helpful!!!

Last edited by Haydnt; 02-23-2013 at 10:15 AM..

Old 02-23-2013, 09:27 PM

25 posts, read 96,052 times
1200 a month is a very cheap apartment in the bay area. You will get a lot more for your money in the Vancouver/Portland area. Cost of living is also cheaper there in other ways (restaurants, etc)

Parts of Oakland are great, but it may be hard to find something in a safe neighborhood at that price. I would look in the Grand Lake area, which also happens to be hip and have a good nightlife.

Outside of the area referred to as Point Richmond, much of Richmond is a very high crime area and hosts a massive refinery.

Hayward is kind of suburban and tacky, but generally safe and I think rents there are cheap. It sounds like it is probably the best bet for you. You might also want to check Newark.

Bay area traffic is worse than traffic anywhere in Texas, so hopefully you can keep a non-rush hour commute.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:29 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,971,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haydnt View Post
Hi,

I won't talk to you about housing, you can easily look up each city on craigslist and decide for yourself.

Vallejo: The city is bankrupt, but it the cheapest city on your list. I'm not sure if you would like it there though. Having previously lived in Seattle, I would live there in a heartbeat over Vallejo. Vallejo is just too far away from everything. It feels like a freeway community.

San Bruno: This city has a nice location close to San Francisco, Daly City, Millbrae, Burlingame and San Mateo. The actual city itself is just okay, but you are surrounded by nice areas. Easy access to hiking trails and quaint downtowns.

Fremont: This is an okay city in the East Bay. Once again, I'd rather live in Seattle or Portland than here. It's just another community that's over priced for what you get. There isn't really anything interesting or unique.

Milpitas/San Jose: I grouped these two cities together because you can't tell where one begins and one ends. San Jose is a much more thriving city economically though. These cities are relatively safe. It's a very suburban city layout, but it's clean, has lots of restaurants, and has access to great hiking area near Santa Cruz.

I would choose between San bruno or San Jose. If these two cities don't work out, I'd choose Seattle or Portland. The East Bay isn't worth the cost to me, I'd rather live in a different state. San Francisco -> San Jose have nice communities that can be worth the high cost of living, but much of the East Bay is a bit too ghetto for my taste, but still has a big price tag because of its proximity to San Francisco and San Jose.

When it comes to crime, this is a touchy issue on this forum. Instead of listening to all the bias opinions, it's better to look it up yourself on city data... I'll provide you the link below:

https://www.city-data.com/city/California.html

(the crime stats are usually half way down)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland