Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2013, 03:55 AM

2 posts, read 4,248 times

Advertisements

Hi guys!

Me and my gf are looking for a safe place to rent an apartment. I work in Pleasanton while she goes to school at downtown SF. I can drive but she must take Bart. Ideally, doesn't take more than 40 minutes to get to sf by Bart. Not longer than 20 miles to drive to Pleasanton. We are looking for a place that is walking distance to Bart station because my gf doesn't drive. Our budget is $1800 max.

Please kindly give some advice thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 08:43 AM

23,551 posts, read 24,057,818 times
Try Castro Valley. Nice area with a BART station, although it may take a bit longer than 40 minutes to SF by BART.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:44 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Try Castro Valley. Nice area with a BART station, although it may take a bit longer than 40 minutes to SF by BART.
Not much in walking distance to C.V. BART. The BART ride itself is less than 40 minutes. More like 35. I'd be surprised it thre was a sidewalk the whole way to BART from the surrounding areas. It is basically a freeway ramp and some older homes next to BART if I recall.

OP we need more specifics about the sort of "lifestyle" you want.

BART stations outside of SF, Berkeley, Oakland and El Cerrito aren't really walkable. They are in mainly suburban areas where no one walks and there isn't frequent or convenient transit service.

If you want suburban, your best bet is near Walnut Creek BART or Pleasant Hill. Pleasant Hill BART has loads of apartments in walking distance, around 1/2 mile or so. But not many people actually walk (as a form of transit) there. Especially in the summer when it is 90.

Walnut Creek has a few apartments in/near downtown. More stuff to do, but you won't find that many pedestrians either.

These 2 bart stations are about 15-20 minutes from Pleasanton by car. Unless there is traffic on 680.

You could also live in Dublin or Pleasanton. There are also a few buildings near the BART stations there. But in the summer, it is pretty hot so the walk to BART might not be too fun. It is a 45 minute BART ride from either station.

Otherwise you should open yourself up to more urban areas. Berkeley and Oakland would work, and it is about a 20-30 minute drive to Pleasanton, but much more transit friendly, albeit less safe compared to Walnut Creek or Pleasanton.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:05 AM

2 posts, read 4,248 times
[quote=jade408;28578436]Not much in walking distance to C.V. BART. The BART ride itself is less than 40 minutes. More like 35. I'd be surprised it thre was a sidewalk the whole way to BART from the surrounding areas. It is basically a freeway ramp and some older homes next to BART if I recall.

OP we need more specifics about the sort of "lifestyle" you want. /QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply
We have work and school on weekdays and will probably be busy, so our concern will be places to eat. We want a place close to some restaurants and supermarket. It would be best if there are some shops around the hood; it does not need to be super close to our home tho.. It could be 10-15 minutes away by car.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:30 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee229 View Post

Thanks for the reply
We have work and school on weekdays and will probably be busy, so our concern will be places to eat. We want a place close to some restaurants and supermarket. It would be best if there are some shops around the hood; it does not need to be super close to our home tho.. It could be 10-15 minutes away by car.
I mean what sort of neighborhood. Do you like new buildings. Suburbs. Denser urban areas. Public transit access (for daily life and errands). Walkability... Chain restaurants. Independent restaurants. Ethnic restaurants.

There isn't a place in the "metro" bay area where you can't find groceries or restaurants within in a 15 minute drive. But not all areas offer nightlife. Or young people. Or "families." Or access to art and culture in the immediate area.....Etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland