Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 10:22 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Ok, your entire post reads right out of the 1980's. This is exactly what was being said then. They used to camp in that park across from Berkeley High and City Hall. The city of Berkeley has perhaps the best homeless programs around. I say better than San Francisco's because it occupies them. Willard Middle School has free showers for the homeless. Also, many churches around Berkeley offer free meals. There are also shelters that are always open, one is on center street. At the skate park in West Berkeley, homeless with cars are "allowed" to park and sleep there. Berkeley still has a homeless problem as every large (over 100,000 people) city does. I think you are blowing it way out of proportion though.
I think Bezerkeley is making homelessness a viable and almost attractive option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 10:27 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Conservatives were conservationists back then. If the Bay Area was so liberal, how did Nixon and Reagan get elected?
Much of East Berkeley and part of N Berkeley sent their kids to private schools. Or left for the suburbs, as the article says, so their kids wouldn't have to go to Berkeley High.
Alameda county did not vote for Reagan. Nixon was before my time and he certainly wasn't anything like todays conservative and you know that full well. In the 80's the GOP was much more ppealing than it is today and a good portion of the Bay Area did support them. Marin and Contra Costa county had no trouble voting Republican. Today both are democratic strongholds.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:44 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Alameda county did not vote for Reagan. Nixon was before my time and he certainly wasn't anything like todays conservative and you know that full well. In the 80's the GOP was much more ppealing than it is today and a good portion of the Bay Area did support them.
A VERY relative statement! They were by no means the good guys! The Republicans today are split in two: the nut job contingent, and the...um...not-so-nut-job contingent, the more old-style conservatives. The "today's conservatives" your referring to are a relatively recent development. I keep hoping they'll blow over.

Do not underestimate Tricky Dick's nastiness. And I really don't see much difference between Reagan's ability to put a genteel veneer on racism (not to mention his economic policies, well, I could go on and on) and the current nut case tendency in the party.

Contra Costa was full of conservatives in its time. Where there's money, there's conservatism.

But we digress.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:27 AM

Unbelievable!

Old 03-11-2013, 01:39 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I think Bezerkeley is making homelessness a viable and almost attractive option.
So you think it's desirable or fun being homeless?

Old 03-11-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
in the 40's and 50's, the Republicans were the liberal party.
This is what's not only unbelievable, but alarming! lol! I can't believe someone would try to whitewash Republicans of the time.
And many of the lawyers and other mucky-mucks living and voting in Berkeley in the 50's, 60's and 70's were corporate types. Standard Oil/Chevron owned/owns 3 buildings full of lawyers and staff in San Fran, and a chunk of those people lived in Berkeley, just an example.

I think it's good that demographics have shifted, but judging by how some issues have been handled, it seems like it's gone to the opposite extreme...? I'm still not getting the soft-on-crime thing.

Berkeley does have good programs for the homeless, which is why so many are drawn there. But let's not forget one reason there are so many homeless in the US in general: Reagan closed mental institutions, and then failed to provide funding for community mental health centers to treat the people who had been turned loose, and for housing for them, much less some form of employment. Smooth move, Ronnie.

Old 03-11-2013, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is what's not only unbelievable, but alarming! lol! I can't believe someone would try to whitewash Republicans of the time.
And many of the lawyers and other mucky-mucks living and voting in Berkeley in the 50's, 60's and 70's were corporate types. Standard Oil/Chevron owned/owns 3 buildings full of lawyers and staff in San Fran, and a chunk of those people lived in Berkeley, just an example.

I think it's good that demographics have shifted, but judging by how some issues have been handled, it seems like it's gone to the opposite extreme...? I'm still not getting the soft-on-crime thing.

Berkeley does have good programs for the homeless, which is why so many are drawn there. But let's not forget one reason there are so many homeless in the US in general: Reagan closed mental institutions, and then failed to provide funding for community mental health centers to treat the people who had been turned loose, and for housing for them, much less some form of employment. Smooth move, Ronnie.
It's not fair that you had to respond to this. I attempted to tell you that you don't know enough for me to continue to engage with you so our discussion is over. Hopefully, you'll get to read it this time.

Old 03-11-2013, 04:50 PM

Quote:
It's not fair that you had to respond to this. I attempted to tell you that you don't know enough for me to continue to engage with you so our discussion is over. Hopefully, you'll get to read it this time.
I don't know what this means. If you'd read up on the Berkeley's history (as per article linked), you'd have a better understanding of how things have changed. But I didn't post this topic just for you. I guess we don't have other Berkeley residents here, to discuss? Oh well.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:08 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,645,402 times
I don't think it's a secret the town was conservative before the 1960s, but it wasn't exactly Orange County either. It does seem things aren't quite as crazy with the town these days, perhaps because of gentrification and the campus itself becoming less radically liberal. Other than the bill against Marine recruitment, I haven't heard many of their trademark radical proposals in the past 10 years; those seem to mostly be coming out of San Francisco.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:42 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,311,234 times
The premise that the city council is in charge of law enforcement is flawed. Elected government officials everywhere are the legislative branch of government, not the executive branch. The police department is a part of the executive branch, they enforce existing law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland