Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 12:18 PM

339 posts, read 515,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obamadon1 View Post
Oakland has everything going for it other than the crime issue. Fix that and the city sells itself. I agree with whoever above who said the city should concentrate on attracting residents as opposed to tourists. It's never going to be a tourist destination 10 minutes across the bay from SF. Which is fine. The city should welcome more residents to support more restaurants, bars, businesses and other attractions that would then attract tourists.
While I generally agree with your assertions, Oakland could be a minor tourist destination. Brooklyn pales in comparison to Manhattan in tourism, but a lot of younger visitors, myself included, skip the city in favor of the borough when we visit New York. I already know a number of east coasters who've visited Oakland specifically because of the write-ups in the Times and Globe. It'll never be a destination for the fanny-pack crowd, but if it promotes itself a bit better in a few ways, it could do some good business from the more sophisticated set seeking the new restaurant/bar/arts scene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 12:19 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,599,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CirclingLogan View Post
While I generally agree with your assertions, Oakland could be a minor tourist destination. Brooklyn pales in comparison to Manhattan in tourism, but a lot of younger visitors, myself included, skip the city in favor of the borough when we visit New York. I already know a number of east coasters who've visited Oakland specifically because of the write-ups in the Times and Globe. It'll never be a destination for the fanny-pack crowd, but if it promotes itself a bit better in a few ways, it could do some good business from the more sophisticated set seeking the new restaurant/bar/arts scene.
Exactly, no one here is saying or expecting Oakland to be the next San Francisco or Gold Angeles. The OP made this very clear.

Last edited by Stephen1110; 03-26-2013 at 12:28 PM..

Old 03-26-2013, 12:23 PM

2,518 posts, read 4,010,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1110 View Post
The Warriors are co-owned by guys who live in Atherton, and Seattle respectively, and have no interest, ties, or connections to staying in Oakland. They're not staying.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:29 PM

339 posts, read 515,921 times
Quote:
Exactly, no one here is saying or expecting Oakland to be the next San Francisco or Gold Angeles. The OP made this very clear.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:29 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
This is what I was thinking pretty much. It could be similar to how Brooklyn and Manhattan interact as far as tourism. I spent a little time in Brooklyn when I visited NYC before and next time I go I hope to spend more time there. I really want to see that NYC Transit Museum they have but haven't had time the last two trips I've made there.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:36 PM

8 posts, read 8,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
One of the few realistic views posted in this thread. Oakland will NEVER ever compete with Los Angeles or S.F, or other world destinations like that. But it can become a better city for local visitors by simply fixing the crime issue.
Why do you insist on comparing Oakland with every city? First camden and Detroit, now La and Sf? It's like comparing Long Beach with LA. Nobody does that. Next thing you're going to tell us is you canoe down the LA river to avoid traffic.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:41 PM

2,518 posts, read 4,010,184 times
S.F is the closest major city to Oakland, and has better attractions across the board.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:46 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,230,680 times
From my experience, tourists are drawn to shopping, scenic, food, crowds, and people-watching and they want all these things at once. They want to walk around in open space, browse shops, maybe mingle and flirt, and then sit down for a meal before walking about again and take lots of pictures. A place for them to hang out. Tourists are cheap by nature (except when it comes to food and shopping) and they don't want to waste time, so any standalone place (like a zoo in the middle of nowhere) where they have to travel some distance plus pay admission fees, they naturally resist unless it's something that really draw their attention.

I found myself and a few out of towner in Oakland a short while ago. We had lunch and walked around Grand Lake. They really like the experience but found the shopping a bit limited. I took them to Lake Merritt and they loved how beautiful it is and took lots of pictures but probably end up spending no more than 30 mins there. Then we went to JLS and they thought it was kind of lame (I guess not enough hoopla). And then I was out of options. How about the zoo? Nah, we have zoos back home. How about the science museum? Nah, it's for kids. And so on...

I guess the problem is that Oakland doesn't really have a place that make people go, "Wow, let's go there!" People plan their vacation around the Broadwalk in Santa Cruz (don't ask me why, I thought that place is lame), people from outside of Sac would go hang out in Old Sac, Visitors must go to Melrose Ave, etc. I think tourists generally just want to hang out in a crowded place filled with entertainment. Oakland's places are too spread out, I think, and it's too small and compacted to draw the large crowd.

Now, with that said, I'd love for Oakland to be a tourist destination. And if I've missed some places that my guests would have liked (shopping + crowds + food + big), let me know. I'll take future guests there. And even if such a place doesn't exist now, doesn't mean it can't exist in the future. Say, I'd love for Oakland to have an area filled with sports bar/restaurant close to the stadiums (think Chicago).

Last edited by beb0p; 03-26-2013 at 12:54 PM..

Old 03-26-2013, 12:49 PM

343 posts, read 444,830 times
Quote:
Yes and we need a resident population base to support the kinds of institutions and neighborhoods that get written up in those publications. We're on the way there and need to keep going down that path to become a minor tourist destination along the lines of Brooklyn.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:59 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
A few great attractions in Oakland:

Gondola Servizio
Crucible
Cathedral of Christ the Light
USS Potomac
Chabot Space and Science Center
Claremont Hotel and Spa
Oakland Mormon Temple
Dunsmuir-Hellsman Historic Estate
Jack London's Cabin
Preservation Park
Oakland Museum of California
Morcom Rose Garden
Mountain View Cemetery
Lake Temescal

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland