Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2013, 06:36 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times

Advertisements

No, not an infill station. That undermines the whole point of BART, which is Rapid Transit, remember? It's named Bay Area Rapid Transit for a reason. You put in too many stations, and it becomes worthless. It'll take people that much longer to get anywhere.

Good grief. Is this the kind of thing people are talking about, now? "Infill" stations? As if you can just wave a magic wand at the site you want, and go "poof!" and a station will appear.

Maybe at some point BART should be declared "complete". If a municipality wants to be served by it, they can pay for the extension themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Don't even get me started again on that BART Geary thing. Muni runs double long buses on the 38/38L line every 3 minutes. They are always packed throughout the day often standing room only. Golden Gate park would be convenient but the 5 does the McAllister/Fulton corridor and it really isn't that busy. Not only will there no San Antonio station but it will continue to fly through that area at 70 mph.
I'd take the 5 Fulton to the park, but there is no Fulton LImited bus. So it's faster to take the 38L, and walk over to the park. I do take the Fulton back from the beach sometimes, though. It's nice to not have a super crowded bus.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:42 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
No, not an infill station. That undermines the whole point of BART, which is Rapid Transit, remember? It's named Bay Area Rapid Transit for a reason. You put in too many stations, and it becomes worthless. It'll take people that much longer to get anywhere.

Good grief. Is this the kind of thing people are talking about, now? "Infill" stations? As if you can just wave a magic wand at the site you want, and go "poof!" and a station will appear.

Maybe at some point BART should be declared "complete". If a municipality wants to be served by it, they can pay for the extension themselves.
Their future plans call for express trains from the suburbs that would skip stops, most likely these infill stations and some existing one's.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Their future plans call for express trains from the suburbs that would skip stops, most likely these infill stations and some existing one's.
Well, that's good, I was just thinking the same thing. But they can dream up anything they want, it'll take a lot of money the system and the taxpayers just don't have to build new tubes so they can run express trains. I was suggesting the same thing on the BART-to-Marin thread. An express tube so people can get from Marin to Berkeley/Oakland and San Fran (for Marin commuters to SF) without having to sit out the milk run. But that idea was canned, due to cost.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:15 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'd take the 5 Fulton to the park, but there is no Fulton LImited bus. So it's faster to take the 38L, and walk over to the park. I do take the Fulton back from the beach sometimes, though. It's nice to not have a super crowded bus.
The 5 does take forever. However I like having room on the bus and the 38/38L packs em in like rats. Seriously.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
The 5 does take forever. However I like having room on the bus and the 38/38L packs em in like rats. Seriously.
I know the 38 well. But I've seen worse. Some of the Muni lines during commute hours skip some of the stops simply because they're too full! They refuse passengers! That's bad! But you know a line is overloaded when even on weekends, the double-buses get full.

So this is one reason to have a BART line that goes from downtown straight out toward the park. It would be a good commute line for locals, and others could use it to go to the park.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:38 AM

2,518 posts, read 4,009,241 times
Get ready for more tax payer theft from BART, scheduled to take effect next year:
BART Fares and Parking Fees Set to Rise | Transportation Nation

Old 03-28-2013, 09:43 AM

6,802 posts, read 6,711,756 times
Which means that people pay an appropriate charge for services delivered. Don't wanna pay those, don't take BART. Easy enough. Sorry more voters like BART than don't, Doc.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:49 AM

2,518 posts, read 4,009,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
Which means that people pay an appropriate charge for services delivered. Don't wanna pay those, don't take BART. Easy enough. Sorry more voters like BART than don't, Doc.
Are you sure about that? I'm not sure how someone from FRESNO who pays ZERO taxes on the system can make that conclusion. Also, noticing as the last parcel tax they tried to pass in 2011 got voted DOWN, it seems your conclusion is wrong, at least when it comes to higher prices/taxes.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:02 AM

6,802 posts, read 6,711,756 times
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that you don't have to pay those fees if you don't take BART or park there, Doc.

Doc, are you silly enough to pay parking fees in a place you don't park at? No wonder you complain so much...

Did you even read your own article? They are talking about fee for use stuff Doc. Not voter approved bonds and such...

I will call you on it everytime you switch the context up, Doc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland