Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 08:07 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times

Advertisements

It shouldn't be hard to find out what managers at AC Transit and Muni make. And at CalTrain, and train engineers as CalTrain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 08:09 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,292,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
These (bolded) are interesting points. Is "journalism" really defined as unbiased reporting? By whom? Just wondering. That's very intriguing.

I'm not sure anyone "deserves" a middle class wage just because they put in 8 hours/day. Transit driving is unskilled labor. Even more so than AC Transit drivers, who actually drive the transit. In BART's case, they're not actually driving, they're just sitting there. Sure they get trained in safety measures, and all, but drivers aren't what I'd call "hard-working", as Mr.W said. btw, my brother was a BART driver. "Work" hardly enters into their day.

So given the above, it's reasonable that they should get paid commensurately. What do cashiers make in the Bay Area? In Seattle they make around $25/hr., and there's more skill involved. We could say the level of responsibility is about equal, because cashiers have to keep track of the company's money, and BART drivers have various safety issues to be prepared for. I don't think BART drivers deserve to be paid more than unskilled labor, just because we think it would be nice if everyone could buy a house, own a car or two, and have a slew of home appliances, while raising a couple of kids. If workers at the bottom of the pay scale want to make more, they can go to night school, get a degree, and move up, like so many have done before them.

Management should get whatever the pay scale for transit management is in the area or in comparable areas.
Read the Wikipedia page on Journalism!

Also, the Op hasn't defined BART operator wages other than with a biased report that was vague at best.

Funny you bring up a retail clerk: Frank, and I graduated in 1979. He joined retail clerks as a cashier, and I joined the Carpenters, and our wages were within a dollar per hour. 30 years later mine had more than doubled, but his weren't quite $20 per hour thanks to the war against the working class.

I've always upgraded my education throughout the years, and my pay was commensurate as I advanced. With all my education one of the hardest things I remember doing was flagging traffic. I had to take a class, but the pressure of responsibility for my fellow workers up on 60' boom lifts while irritated drivers failed to yield my instruction was intense. My point is that you feel a driver of a computerized vehicle responsible for 100's of lives is unskilled I find comical at best. Would you prefer an illegal alien at the helm?

Old 03-26-2013, 08:10 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,713,845 times
Well, you do that then. I'm still listening to Splish Splash and screwing around with the NY transit figures. Cause I think their COLA is more comparable to bay area than GLAMA is as a whole.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Read the Wikipedia page on Journalism!

Also, the Op hasn't defined BART operator wages other than with a biased report that was vague at best.

Funny you bring up a retail clerk: Frank, and I graduated in 1979. He joined retail clerks as a cashier, and I joined the Carpenters, and our wages were within a dollar per hour. 30 years later mine had more than doubled, but his weren't quite $20 per hour thanks to the war against the working class.

I've always upgraded my education throughout the years, and my pay was commensurate as I advanced. With all my education one of the hardest things I remember doing was flagging traffic. I had to take a class, but the pressure of responsibility for my fellow workers up on 60' boom lifts while irritated drivers failed to yield my instruction was intense. My point is that you feel a driver of a computerized vehicle responsible for 100's of lives is unskilled I find comical at best. Would you prefer an illegal alien at the helm?
Good post. idk, but you only have to have a HS diploma (if that) to drive BART. You get on-the-job training, but your skill level when you apply for the job is the same as those cashiers. Your responsibility level is higher, fair enough.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:15 PM

2,518 posts, read 4,010,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Would you prefer an illegal alien at the helm?
Typical Union argument. "If we can't make $120,000, some illegal alien is going to pilot BART trains for $2 an hour."

So are you going to address the fact that the median household income in Livermore is $30,000 lower than what a train engineer can make, or you going to admit that $120,000 isn't a "working poor" "barely making" it wage?

We could also ignore it too, but that would be tacit agreement that your argument simply wrong.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
So are you going to address the fact that the median household income in Livermore is $30,000 lower than what a train engineer can make,
What's a "train engineer", please? Is that what you're calling drivers?

Old 03-26-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Good post. idk, but you only have to have a HS diploma (if that) to drive BART. You get on-the-job training, but your skill level when you apply for the job is the same as those cashiers. Your responsibility level is higher, fair enough.
Not really. BART, like most modern rail systems, works on computerized signals. All that's required is to know how to read them (3 lights, with a few lighting variations). Then you need to know how to use a lever to make the train go, and stop, and read a speedometer. Not exactly a job that requires "specialized" skills.

Of course what Willy won't admit is that BART engineers only make such extravagant amounts of money because the BART union is pretty much a bunch of criminals who extort the public sector on tax payer backs.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:
What's a "train engineer", please? Is that what you're calling drivers?
That's what BART calls their drivers. Of course, they don't really do any "engineering".

You can have 3 types. Rookie Engineers, journeyman, and principals. All based on seniority.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:23 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,713,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
That's what BART calls their drivers. Of course, they don't really do any "engineering".

You can have 3 types. Rookie Engineers, journeyman, and principals. All based on seniority.
That's like San Francisco calling garbagemen "Sanitation Engineers"

Old 03-26-2013, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
That's like San Francisco calling garbagemen "Sanitation Engineers"
Or housewives "domestic engineers".

To be honest though, "domestic engineers" have a pretty tough job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland