Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 11:58 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times

Advertisements

Some people have their heart set on living in SF, which I assumed was the OP's situation, since he didn't say "San Jose" or "the SF region" or whatever. People live in SF and commute to tech jobs, you know. Maybe the OP can clarify for us the parameters of his housing search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 02:27 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,152,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontayan View Post
Greetings Everyone,

I am a IT systems admin moving from Honolulu, due to lack of any real employment here. (long story on how I ended) However I see my career grown stagnating in Hawaii, so I'd like to come to Mecca so to speak as I have all types of tech Ideas I'd like to turn into a real business.

So my home town is Detroit, Michigan. I by all means would like to AVOID AT ALL COST anything that reminds me of Detroit. Can anyone tell me what areas to avoid looking for a room share in?

And also how hard is it to find work as a Sys Admin or tech support with 12 years of experience in IT support, and Windows Server, as well as cloud computing. (if you happen to know any of it.)

Thank You!

Aloha!
I don't think you'll find much that's similar to Detroit's blocks of abandoned buildings and decay in the Bay Area. I remember flying to Las Vegas and seeing miles and miles of half-built subdivisions that were abandoned by the developers.. never saw much of that here either. There's just so much demand for housing.. even the marginal areas command obscene prices.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:15 PM

23 posts, read 73,672 times
Default Mayor Haggar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Well the real estate prices will definitely not remind you of Detroit.
As in Mike Haggar? Funny I just finished playing Final Fight a few moments ago.

Yes Detroit as a city to live in...Not in the next 10 years as far as i can foresee. However Detroit as a quick way to buy real estate to gain equity and modest cash flow. That is a win. The city is 80% renters and you can buy a solid house in a solid area for under 40K.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
mod cut
If it's ONLY S.F, and not surrounding communities, I'd say stay away from the tenderloin and some areas of HP/Bayview, and you should be fine. S.F is pretty safe for a major city if you're used to urban living.
I'm very used to urban living, and in some cases Urban warfare. ^_^ Thanks for the insight though. Basically I know economically disadvantaged areas have a mindset that I truly wish to avid. I'm never afraid of crime or violence, I figure anything that isn't as bad as North West Detroit is easy living tome.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkwalton View Post
Depends on your budget. There are no Detroit-like area in San Francisco. It's San Francisco! Most areas of San Francisco are livable. Without knowing your preferences it's completely random for me to suggest areas as I'd just be kicking out a list of my favorites.
Good luck.

I see thank you for the insight. For preferences I like areas near parks anything green, I enjoy a mix of Urban and natural surroundings. My Budget is weak right now as I have been on an adventure for the past 2 years. I was living in Sydney, Australia with my ex-GF. I planned on staying there and getting married until I found out she had a few mental problems that we couldn't overcome.

So I came to Hawaii to give it a shot. Nepotism rains supreme in Honolulu and if you work in I.T. and you are NOT a local forget about it. I have been shunned for jobs because I made the mistake of wearing a suit to an interview, and not being Hawaiian. So at this point I need to go somewhere I can be "loved"

Old 03-27-2013, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
The OP is looking for an IT job and maybe he meant to say the "San Francisco area" or maybe the Bay Area. Limiting yourself to IT jobs ONLY in San Francisco and no where else might make job hunting a little difficult. There are IT jobs elsewhere in The Bay Area. Ever hear of Silicon Valley?
Correct I mean the Bay Area, I by no means want to limit myself in such an expansive area of opertunity.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:14 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,077,874 times
Quote:
I see thank you for the insight. For preferences I like areas near parks anything green, I enjoy a mix of Urban and natural surroundings. My Budget is weak right now as I have been on an adventure for the past 2 years. I was living in Sydney, Australia with my ex-GF. I planned on staying there and getting married until I found out she had a few mental problems that we couldn't overcome.

So I came to Hawaii to give it a shot. Nepotism rains supreme in Honolulu and if you work in I.T. and you are NOT a local forget about it. I have been shunned for jobs because I made the mistake of wearing a suit to an interview, and not being Hawaiian. So at this point I need to go somewhere I can be "loved"
Figure out your budget first, what kind of area you want to live in, figure out your commute, etc. Otherwise we're just guessing what you like. If your budget isn't Frisco quality then honestly the East Bay might be a great fit for you, Oakland is a great city if you live in the nice parts and it's generally about 30% cheaper than SF. Other East Bay burbs like Walnut Creek are more suburban but also pretty modestly priced compared to SF or towns in San Mateo or Santa Clara counties.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:38 AM

104 posts, read 190,318 times
My top pick is Noe Valley, my favorite part of SF.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:04 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,723,432 times
Quote:
Correct I mean the Bay Area, I by no means want to limit myself in such an expansive area of opertunity.
Go with San Francisco if you want urban. There are a lot of techies who insist on living in SF for the nightlife but commute 40 miles to jobs in Mountain View, Cupertino and elsewhere in Silicon Valley.

You will pay about $2800 for a 1 bedroom apt in SF - about $750 to $1000 more than what you would pay for living in a 1 bedroom apt in the suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland