Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 01:37 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I know. I didn't want to mention that, because we have a vocal poster who lives in one of those "nowhere" places, lol!

But yeah, more rational (and less political) planning would have really helped that train. Plus, they have it making so many stops in the SD and LA areas, that it won't be high speed, it'll just be more of a local train. It's as if they want it to do two jobs at once: be local in certain areas, but also be high speed. It just goes to show how far behind the US is with investment in rail travel in general.
The problem is, so many transit projects pick crappy routes (and are very expensive) and then they have no chance for success. The failure is blamed on transit, and not crappy planning.

I'd rather see cheaper, and successful projects get funding, prove their worth, and expand.

The B Shuttle in Oakland is an excellent example of this:
Despite cuts, operators of the Free B shuttle hope to keep the free rides coming | Oakland North

They spent $500k, and it was a huge success so they exmapnded the days of operation. I hope the funding will keep coming, it is a drop in the bucket compared to other useless projects.

So the question is (and this should go in the BART thread), why can't we find what $1M to make this work 7 days a week from 8a-11p?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 01:41 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
The OP and I both abhor so called HSR.

It is a tragedy of the commons. Money is best spent on existing intra and inter city systems. Not the train to nowhere.
I cant rep you but this is exactly how I feel about the HSR plan in its current form.

Its a boondoggle as far as Im concerned and I cant believe the governor has rammed it through just to appease the Obama administration(who I voted for btw).

Old 03-28-2013, 01:02 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,343,273 times
If HSR is a boondoggle, what is the new bay bridge?

Old 03-28-2013, 01:06 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,711,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
http://www.brookings.edu/~/media/Res...es%20tomer.pdf

Percentage Change in Amtrak Ridership, 2007-2011
Sacramento-Arden Arcade-Roseville +197.2%
San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara +140.2%
San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont +113.2%
Fresno +84.0%
Modesto +74.7%
Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario +74.2%
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana +71.5%
Stockton +67.4%
Bakersfield +65.4%
Oxnard-Thousand Oaks-Ventura +52.0%
San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos +26.5%
Well, I guess rising gas prices are amongst the causes of increased ridership.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:00 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
If HSR is a boondoggle, what is the new bay bridge?
The cost of the new bay bridge was also a boondoggle. It should have costed $1-$2 Billion tops.

But the bridge itself is needed because it is the terminus of a cross-continental interstate(80), is the primary connector between 2 major cities and their suburbs, is used by 300,000 cars a day and moves trade and commerce.

Comparing the high speed rail to the bay bridge is like comparing a boob job to heart replacement surgery. One is elective, the other is life saving.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:01 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Um, well...LA and SF technically aren't quite "nowhere", but your point is taken.
I was referring to the fact that funding only exists for a short stretch in the San Joaquin Valley. The rest of it is more like wishful thinking at this juncture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland