Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2013, 10:24 AM

312 posts, read 831,345 times

Advertisements

Hi, we started sending out bid sets for the remodel of our new house. Would like to turn to the forum and see if anyone has a contractor to refer. Our project is a room addition and bathroom and kitchen remodel. We are looking for a good contractor with a fair price. Please let me know if you have any tips.

I really appreciate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 10:48 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,988,712 times
Don't have any personal recommendations but I often find very helpful information and knowledge on the Berkeley Parents Network...

Berkeley Parents Network:

I've also had good experiences using Angie's list (there's a fee, but it's worth it, imo). We've found some great electricians, plumbers etc here.

Or I came across this place...not personally familiar with it but it's apparently free. HomeAdvisor vs Angie's List

Old 03-27-2013, 11:18 AM

1,374 posts, read 2,435,214 times
I find it frustrating to find a good contractor in SF. I have several projects in the house, called and met a few contractors. Mostly of them play games with you.
One gave me a verbal estimate of not exceeding xyz dollars and promised to send me written estimate in 2 days, but 3 days later I called him and was told the estimate is higher now(about 20% more). So what happens to "not exceeding xyz dollars"? well, he probably thinks I am interested in hiring him, so he wants more money.
Another contractor also gave me a verbal estimate, but after I discussed more details and emailed him the information I found on the internet, he would not respond. He probably thinks I know more about the work needed to be done than he does, and he is not interested in dealing with "smart" customers.
Years ago, I hired someone to refinish my hardwood floor. The guy got very good reviews in San Francisco Chronicles (back in the old days). He charged double the prices of others since he is supposed to be "excellent". At the end, he did a lousy job.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:12 PM

434 posts, read 1,019,036 times
A subscription to Bay Area Checkbook costs $34 for two years, and includes online access to their ratings for everything from exterminators to window washers ... and for general contractors/remodelers, too. I can't compare it to HomeAdvisor or Angie's List, but have thought the $34 was well spent, all told. You'll be spending significant money on the remodel, so the research costs could be worthwhile.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:24 PM

312 posts, read 831,345 times
Thanks all for the feedback. I had a subscription to Angie's list but found it weak. Yelp also has tons of reviews. But from reviews it's hard to know if the contractors is on the high-price end of the spectrum, or mid range, etc... So I was hoping people here who have gone through the bidding process would be able to refer from their own experience.

Thanks

Old 03-27-2013, 01:04 PM

1,374 posts, read 2,435,214 times
you can pick the lower bidder, but the bid is only an estimate. At any time during the project, the contractor will find something and make additional work and charge you anything he wants.
So, as a customer, you should do the research and figure out all the details in your project, and list them on the contract. But I suspect no contractor will deal with you if you try to show him you are a smart shopper.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:39 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,231,974 times
Bo Hong or Rod L. Jones. They are general contractors who are also instructors at CCSF, they are the ones who teach the aspiring general contractors or even some already licensed contractors the right way to do things.

They're not the cheapest guys you'll find. You can lookup their profile on CCSF and send them an email. Or you can probably drop in to one of their classes (the Interior/Exterior class should be a good one) and get a feel for them. Construction classes at CCSF are free (but registration is needed) so dropping in should not be a problem if they have enough space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland