Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 11:46 AM

2,518 posts, read 3,995,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam8086 View Post
I will be opening a private piano teaching studio. Usually families who care about quality education (and can afford to live in good school districts or pay for private schools) are more likely to take lessons.
Makes sense. Berkeley would be a pretty good choice IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 12:21 PM

102,059 posts, read 106,854,652 times
Quote:
I will be opening a private piano teaching studio. Usually families who care about quality education (and can afford to live in good school districts or pay for private schools) are more likely to take lessons.
Berkeley isn't exactly a "good school district", but a lot of parents send their kids to private schools. Another possibility that might be more fruitful is to look for an apartment in Orinda or Lafayette. Those are very good school districts in high-end communities, and you might get more space for your rental money, if you can find an apt.
edit: I found a listing in Lafayette for a 2 br. for $1225. Most listings at the moment are significantly higher, but your price range is doable there. See Craigslist.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:33 PM

2,518 posts, read 3,995,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Berkeley isn't exactly a "good school district"
You're kidding me right? Berkeley has 14 public schools that have above an 850 API or MORE, and are rated 8 or more on GreatSchools.org.

It's not as good as Cupertino/Palo Alto, or Irvine CA in SoCal, but it's certainly good for the East Bay.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:39 PM

36,628 posts, read 67,140,815 times
Quote:
I would definitely look to work in the East Bay Hills. Its a very large and eclectic affluent area that is a collection of neighborhoods and villages covering Oakland and Berkeley, Piedmont and El Cerrito. There are a lot of strong high school music programs up and down the area and phenomenal public elementary schools and nationally acclaimed private K-12 schools. Educational attainment rates for adults is more than twice the national average.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:56 PM

3,719 posts, read 14,670,100 times
Quote:
Hello everyone,

I will be moving to the Bay Area from the east coast in a few months, and I am looking for this kind of community: quiet, safe, and walkable, with warm and sunny weather, not far from San Francisco (around 30 minutes drive max - I could go up to 45 minutes, but I would prefer not to if possible). It would need to be a community that has a lot of young families interested in quality education for their children, as this is essential to the business that I will be opening. My budget is $1500/month for a 1 bedroom apartment. I'd also be willing to live in San Francisco if there is a neighborhood that fits these criteria, but I'm pretty sure my budget is too low to live in the city, and the demographic is most likely not what I need for my business (probably more singles than families).
Check out San Mateo, Belmont, San Carlos or Redwood City - all family oriented suburbs south of San Francisco. All these places fill your requirements. However, you might have to go $1600 or $1700 for a 1 bed apt.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
You're kidding me right? Berkeley has 14 public schools that have above an 850 API or MORE, and are rated 8 or more on GreatSchools.org.

It's not as good as Cupertino/Palo Alto, or Irvine CA in SoCal, but it's certainly good for the East Bay.
I guess I was thinking of Berkeley High. Berkeley only has one public HS, which is outrageous for a city that size. I'm in a town of 75,000, and it has 2 highschools.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I would definitely look to work in the East Bay Hills. Its a very large and eclectic affluent area that is a collection of neighborhoods and villages covering Oakland and Berkeley, Piedmont and El Cerrito. There are a lot of strong high school music programs up and down the area and phenomenal public elementary schools and nationally acclaimed private K-12 schools. Educational attainment rates for adults is more than twice the national average.
I guess this pretty well sums it up. There's a denser population, too, compared to Lafayette and Orinda.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:09 PM

28,225 posts, read 36,691,595 times
There are plenty of areas in North or Central Oakland that would fit the bill (Piedmont Ave, Temescal, Grand Lake, Rockridge) but North Oakland is pretty well served by the Piedmont Piano School.

They had a storefront for many years on Piedmont Ave, and then moved over to Uptown about 3 years ago.

You might have a lot of branding work etc to compete. Piedmont Piano Company | 1728 San Pablo Ave., Oakland, CA 94612 | (510) 547-8188 | Open 7 days a week
Their former space also has a new music school in its place.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:09 PM

36,628 posts, read 67,140,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I guess this pretty well sums it up. There's a denser population, too, compared to Lafayette and Orinda.
And Lamorinda is very close.

Basically you cant go wrong with the East Bay Hills, Piedmont, Orinda, Moraga and Lafayette.

Those parents eat, sleep and breathe education. LOL

Old 03-28-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
There are plenty of areas in North or Central Oakland that would fit the bill (Piedmont Ave, Temescal, Grand Lake, Rockridge) but North Oakland is pretty well served by the Piedmont Piano School.

They had a storefront for many years on Piedmont Ave, and then moved over to Uptown about 3 years ago.

You might have a lot of branding work etc to compete. Piedmont Piano Company | 1728 San Pablo Ave., Oakland, CA 94612 | (510) 547-8188 | Open 7 days a week
Their former space also has a new music school in its place.
Now THIS is a helpful post! Bravo, Jade!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland