Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 12:44 PM

460 posts, read 981,824 times

Advertisements

The Bay Area has the second highest cost of living in the nation, second to the New York City metro area. A relatively high percentage of people are in the top 5% income bracket (105K and up). Look at the gas prices, at the overpaid public sector. Look at the bidding frenzy for shacks in the city.

How materialistic is the Bay Area compared to other areas of the nation? How does this affect our daily lives? Please discuss respectfully and intelligently.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:49 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,040,062 times
It's expensive but folks want to live here for a reason. It's not about materialism, it's about quality of life. I can easily afford the Ozark mountains in Missouri but why the hell would I want to live there?

Old 03-29-2013, 12:53 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,809,412 times
I agree w/dragon. I see no more materialism than anywhere else. There are plenty of people in the area who are into the non-material benefits, like nature, good entertainment, laid-back atmosphere.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:06 PM

702 posts, read 953,669 times
Honestly, I would argue that the bay area is second only to Portland in anti-materialism. People pay a premium to live here because of the non-material benefits: the perfect weather, the spectacular access to nature, and the open-minded culture.

Materialists choose to live in places like Texas, where they can afford to buy better cars, bigger homes, and more consumer products...

Old 03-29-2013, 01:08 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,145,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I agree w/dragon. I see no more materialism than anywhere else. There are plenty of people in the area who are into the non-material benefits, like nature, good entertainment, laid-back atmosphere.
On the other hand, take a drive on any freeway and count the number of Basic Marin Wheels or MB's or Porsche Cayennes/Panameras you see on the road. These are all cars that could be replaced with a Toyota, Hyundai or Ford for tens of thousands less, and the engineering gap between the cheaper cars and the more expensive ones is closing by the year.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:10 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
On the other hand, take a drive on any freeway and count the number of Basic Marin Wheels or MB's or Porsche Cayennes/Panameras you see on the road. These are all cars that could be replaced with a Toyota, Hyundai or Ford for tens of thousands less, and the engineering gap between the cheaper cars and the more expensive ones is closing by the year.
Maybe. I don't notice that sort of thing, because a) I take public transportation, I don't drive on the freeways, and b) I don't know anyone with cars like that. I wouldn't know a Porsche Cayenne/Panameras if it bit me. Maybe those belong to newcomers. People who were raised here generally don't buy cars like that. That includes the people I know in Marin.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:30 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,631,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusHsu View Post
The Bay Area has the second highest cost of living in the nation, second to the New York City metro area. A relatively high percentage of people are in the top 5% income bracket (105K and up). Look at the gas prices, at the overpaid public sector. Look at the bidding frenzy for shacks in the city.

How materialistic is the Bay Area compared to other areas of the nation? How does this affect our daily lives? Please discuss respectfully and intelligently.
Well it's a wealthy area so people will buy expensive things generally. But it's not flashy nor does it appear many people try to live beyond their means. People I know who make really good money don't flaunt it at all.

So in a way it's materialistic by the virtue it's a wealthy area but that's better than being flashy and buying stuff you really shouldn't or can't afford.

That's has been my experience with people at least. I know people say San Diego is materialistic too but I never experienced it with people I interacted with there either. Everyone I know drives/buys used cars even though some of them make in excess of $150-200K a year.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:36 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,992,257 times
Quote:
I think most of those people actually live on the peninsula in rich suburbs like Woodside or Atherton or in Marin County. Heck, I visited downtown Los Gatos and saw parked on the main street, a Maserati and Lambourghini within 100 feet of each other- never saw two cars of that caliber parked so close to each other in SF. Not to say that there aren't luxury car owners in SF (we do have neighborhoods like Pacific Heights, Seacliff, and St Francis Wood), just that there are greater numbers of them on the peninsula. It's on the peninsula you will find the real mansions. The ones with a large acreage and secluded location. You never see them the way you do in SF (the mansions in SF are pretty visible anytime you pass through a rich neighborhood), but there are a great many of them on the peninsula, hidden out of plain view- just the way those rich folks like them.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:36 PM

10,345 posts, read 8,559,492 times
Quote:
It's even worse here in the trivalley. In pleasanton there are 4-5 hi end cars at every intersection. I went real estate hunting in Boise and Raleigh and saw 2 corvettes and maybe 6 eurosedans over a 7 day period. I will see that in my first 30 seconds of leaving the house. I don't even look twice they are so common. What I do look at is older cars like VW bugs, 70's and older cars of any sort, just because they are so rare. I drove 1/2 mile to lunch and went by 1 aston martin db9, a few porsches, and a buttload of MB and bmw's, plus a few lexus's.
Being a car fan it doesn't bother me spending more on a car as I have bought many sports and performance cars. But I am pretty sure most of the people didn't buy the high end cars for their performance od qualities, but more for the status quo.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:39 PM

2,518 posts, read 4,009,679 times
Bay Area is over heated. It was over heated in 2000 as well and we all know how that ended up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland