Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 11:27 AM

5 posts, read 24,914 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I'm originally from Falls Church, VA (NoVA). I just accepted a job with Applied Biosystems in Foster City and I'm planning on relocating to the Bay Area in Januaray. I want to live in the city because I love the hubbub and activity that's always going on. I was wondering if you guys could give me advice on which part of San Francisco would be a good choice - keeping in mind my commute and all. Can anyone give me a brief low-down of the districts? Misison? Castro? Western Addition? Any help would be MUCH appreciated!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 01:49 PM

3,719 posts, read 14,669,108 times
Check out Glen Park, the Sunset district, West Portal and Balboa Park. All these places are resonably close to I-280 which should be an easy commute down to Foster City. Traffic from SF to Foster City on Hwy 101 will usually be worse especially near SFO airport.
BTW, rents might be cheaper around the Foster City area than in SF. Also the weather is warmer in Foster City. Usually wind and fog in SF - less so the further inland you go.

Old 10-27-2007, 02:24 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,048,141 times
Foster City is definitely cheaper than San Francisco, though it's on the upper end for the peninsula. It's a planned city on the bayfront, and very, very lovely. And I disagree that it would be an easy commute - 92 is a *****.

Old 10-29-2007, 05:22 PM

19 posts, read 106,002 times
South of Market (SOMA) is one of the warmest (if not the warmest) parts of SF with direct access to both 101S and 280S. People in this neighborhood either walk to work in the Financial District or other parts of SOMA, drive down the Peninsula (incl Foster City), drive to the East Bay or take BART or Caltrain to their destinations. It is probably the most convenient neighborhood in the city to get out of the city. I have lived there and in other neighborhoods in SF. It is not for everyone but those that live there tend to love it. Generally, people in their mid 20s through late 30s live in the area. People may start moving out once they have children to get to different school districts etc. SOMA has been up and coming for many years. Parts, like South Beach, are already all the way there with very expensive places to live and high end restaurants. Places west of 3rd Street through 6th Street are still transitioning - but still have pricey accomodations and restaurants - just more homeless, empty parking lots etc. Regarding those empty parking lots, most have already been purchased for significant development so if you want your place to increase in value (if buying) this is probably a good investment area. Renting - many people rent out their new lofts in the area for, depending on size, $2200-$3000/mo with parking.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:19 PM

Thanks for the input everyone! I'll keep in mind the places mentioned. I've heard mixed things about SOMA - what's the district like character-wise? I'm a 20-something gal who's chill and into weird arts-y stuff - don't know if that helps any .

Old 10-29-2007, 11:15 PM

Haight-Ashbury or Noe Valley might be more to your taste in that case, those are the regions I would point to as the equivalent of Tribeca in NYC.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:47 PM

SOMA has a large number of artists - we had an artists group (not famous - just doing their own thing) at the end of our block there. The block over from us had a large Burning Man contingent. East of 3rd is definitely less artsy and more nouveau riche. I lived near the Haight and found the area to be more crystal/pot/street kid thing than career artists. Either that or families. Noe definitely always feels like families - one of the few parts of town where one will actually see parents and children eating out in the evenings. That said, there are artists everywhere in this creative city (as long as they have rent control or are being shown in the galleries). Great weather in SOMA and NOE. The Haight can get some of the fog and is less convenient for your commute down to the peninsula. Just realize that if you want to live near the artists who aren't in it for profit and may not have a high paying (or any) day job, you will likely be living in a sketchier area. That's just the way it works. SF is an expensive city and a lot of people make a lot of money.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:20 AM

Been looking at areas in Noe Valley and SOMA. Thanks again sonarrat and lllegalien for your input. What about Richmond?

Old 10-31-2007, 01:04 PM

The Richmond district of SF? Very nice area. Kinda boring.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:40 PM

bad commute to Foster City from the Richmond District - means you are likely taking 19th Ave out which you don't want to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland