U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 11:46 PM

8 posts, read 28,026 times

Advertisements

I have a really attractive offer from a tech firm in Redwood City. The office is about a mile and a half away from the Cal Train station. We live in Oakland, and have a baby who goes to a daycare in Berkeley. My husband works in San Francisco.
I realize that moving to a place like San Mateo would have been ideal but at this point we do not want to uproot our son from a place that he is happy and comfortable in (it look a lot for us to get to this stage).
My office hours would be from 8-5 (I haven't negotiated that yet) and I'm not sure if working from home every now and then would be an option at all.
The pluses are - good company, good work, good pay. I work in San Francisco at the moment and do a 40 min commute (drive to BART, park and BART to Embarcadero).

Is the commute from oakland-redwood city still nightmarish? It took me about 50 min to get to the office (I left at 9 AM) for the interview and a horrible 1.5 hours on the way back (2:50 PM) - 101,Bay Bridge, 24.
I've read stories about people spending 3 hours driving everyday - is this true? Are there other modes that would reduce this time?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 11:17 AM

28,234 posts, read 33,898,058 times
It is not fun, but I imagine that the San Mateo Bridge is always faster. I would take that route over the Bay Bridge.

When I have been going to San Mateo, leaving Oakland at 7, it takes about 40 minutes: 880 > 92

The drive home is the worst part.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:23 AM

8 posts, read 28,026 times
Thank you!

When you say drive home, is it anytime between 4-6 or is there a good window there as well?

Old 04-05-2013, 11:39 AM

Somewhere between 430-615 is pretty crappy. It probably takes 60-90 minutes.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:53 PM

10,926 posts, read 6,193,006 times
I can't comment directly on the commute to from Redwood City, but I can comment on the commute from that area (Alameda and southern parts of Oakland, specifically) to Palo Alto (Stanford).

Alameda to/from Stanford
Transit options
I used to commute to/from Alameda to/from Stanford daily. I usually drove, but I also did try various public transit options, and they were all pretty bad...

the train options were the best from a schedule perspective (many trains leaving all through the day), but that route took the longest because BART takes a very circuitous route through SF and the peninsula to Milbrae (to connect to Caltrain).

The other public transit options were the transbay buses (drive to transbay bus stop, wait, get on bus). This option was ok, but the schedule was really limited (only really run during "commute hours," and if you miss one you'd be waiting around for a long time). And it meant I still had to drive a lot. And if you don't work near one of their bus stops on the other end, getting to work can be a daunting task.

I imagine the public transit options for Oakland to Redwood City will be equally bad.

Driving
Driving to/from Almadeda to/from Palo Alto was ok if I left after 9 in the morning, or after 6 in the evening. I could do the drive in ~45 minutes if there was no traffic. If I tried to leave during the main parts of rush hour, it would easily be 1 hour or more (average was around 1 hour and 15 minutes).

Oakland to/from Stanford, driving
I now live in San Mateo/San Francisco, but I still work at Stanford. And I still drive to Oakland (Coliseum area) at least twice a week to play hockey. If I leave around 6:30, it is about a 40 minute drive. If I drive during the main part of rush hour, it's more like 50 minutes - an hour.

These driving times are using the Dumbarton bridge, by far the easiest bridge in the Bay Area to get across and easier to get onto 880 from.

The San Mateo bridge is fine going west in the morning, but there is a big backup in the evening getting onto 880, especially now with the way they have the on ramps setup where you have to merge over like over a mile away from the actual interchange. I often get off at Clawiter/Industrial roads and take back roads up to 880...it's usually faster; but even if it's not faster, at least I'm moving (I can't stand sitting in traffic for very long). This is actually one main reason I usually drive to Oakland from work, rather than from home (the dumbarton bridge is much easier to get across).

The Bay Bridge is by far the worst option, and honestly there's no reason you should ever go over this bridge during prime commute times (which in SF can last until 8 pm).

Oakland to/from San Mateo
Occasional I do drive from San Mateo to Oakland (southern part). This drive is about 35 minutes in the morning before 9, and about 35 minutes during the worst part of rush hour. After/before these times, it is about 20 minutes.

Getting to Redwood City from the San Mateo area takes about 15-20 minutes when there is no traffic on 101. If there's traffic, it's more like 30. That part of 101 can get pretty bad (about as bad as some parts of 880).

I think anyway you slice it, you're looking at close to 50 minutes to a little over an hour during rush hour times. It really helps to drive before/after rush hour times, so if you could somehow get your hours moved, that would drastically help.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:22 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,111,925 times
i like oakland and understand the desire to stay but i would consider moving to the pennisula.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:47 PM

I think it is annoying, but semi-manageable if you can time things well. If you can avoid leaving to go home between 4-6, the AM is pretty consistent. Even on the San Mateo Bridge, but all of the bridges are clogged. 101 is pretty crappy as well. And that is the great unknown. There is always a slowdown to get on to 101. One of my colleagues who lives in Oakland, did a commute to RWC or similar for a few years, and it was about an hour each way.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:10 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,111,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I think it is annoying, but semi-manageable if you can time things well. If you can avoid leaving to go home between 4-6, the AM is pretty consistent. Even on the San Mateo Bridge, but all of the bridges are clogged. 101 is pretty crappy as well. And that is the great unknown. There is always a slowdown to get on to 101. One of my colleagues who lives in Oakland, did a commute to RWC or similar for a few years, and it was about an hour each way.
it's the not knowing which would make the evening commute unbearable for me on a good day i am home at in 45-50 minutes.
but if it rains or there is an accident or there is a sporting event it could take 90 minutes.
some people do not mind but i need consistancy .(not quite rain man level consistancy )

Old 04-05-2013, 04:21 PM

7,688 posts, read 27,586,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
it's the not knowing which would make the evening commute unbearable for me on a good day i am home at in 45-50 minutes.
but if it rains or there is an accident or there is a sporting event it could take 90 minutes.
some people do not mind but i need consistancy .(not quite rain man level consistancy )
I know what you mean. I commuted from Redwood City to Burlingame for a while, and that was a consistent commute. It was the same pattern every day without fail. When I tried doing it from San Francisco, suddenly there were all these variables and I was never quite sure how long it would take. If you have to cross a bridge, that makes it even worse.

Old 04-07-2013, 12:03 AM

12,287 posts, read 8,980,976 times
I live in San Lorenzo and work in redwood city. I work 8-5. It takes about 40-50 minutes in the morning and 50-65 minutes on the way home. You would probably need to add another 30 minutes onto these times unless you car pool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland