Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 02:36 PM

62 posts, read 152,003 times

Advertisements

My husband is applying for a job at Stanford. I don't know if we'll get it or not, but if we do, we'll probably take it, which leaves us with some large practical concerns. We have five kids, ranging from kindergarten into high school, and um, wow, the housing costs are astronomical. We understand that buying a house (or even renting a house the size we live in now) is probably out of the question. We value seeing each other (ie shorter commute) over a luxurious house, but safety and price are large issues, too. How far away from Stanford do we have to look? It seems that nearly everyone posting on here who is looking for housing advice is childless or has one teeny tiny tot. We really can't fit into a one bedroom apartment! Are there family friendly areas where normal people can afford? Or are we looking at an hours-long commute every day? Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 02:54 PM

370 posts, read 863,077 times
What is your budget? What size and type of place are you looking for and what are your expectations for the place?

Stanford offers subsidized housing to some, but not all, employees (ie some professors, graduate students, and other highly sought after employees) but I am guessing Stanford isnt offering you that since you posted this question.

You really need to give your budget or no one will be able to help you. The area around Stanford can be uber expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlcg37 View Post
My husband is applying for a job at Stanford. I don't know if we'll get it or not, but if we do, we'll probably take it, which leaves us with some large practical concerns. We have five kids, ranging from kindergarten into high school, and um, wow, the housing costs are astronomical. We understand that buying a house (or even renting a house the size we live in now) is probably out of the question. We value seeing each other (ie shorter commute) over a luxurious house, but safety and price are large issues, too. How far away from Stanford do we have to look? It seems that nearly everyone posting on here who is looking for housing advice is childless or has one teeny tiny tot. We really can't fit into a one bedroom apartment! Are there family friendly areas where normal people can afford? Or are we looking at an hours-long commute every day? Suggestions?

Old 04-11-2013, 03:11 PM

492 posts, read 638,274 times
There are certainly houses near Stanford with 4 to 6 bedrooms. The schools in Palo Alto are very, very good. There are many family friendly neighborhoods with parks and traffic calming so kids can play in the front yards. They have a bike route system that means most kids can bike to school. It's just a matter of budget.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:53 PM

We would qualify for the subsidized housing (I only just found out about it, which is why I didn't include that in my initial post). So far there isn't a salary listed in the official job post ("commensurate with experience," blah blah blah... Glassdoor estimates 55-75K for that kind of position, but the advertised position is pretty specialized, so I'm hoping it's on the higher end (else they will not get many applications!). Will do more research on that. That would be a nice salary for some areas in the US. It seems kind of miserable given the housing costs I'm seeing for that area.

We know we probably wouldn't be able to afford something like what we're in now (5 bed/2200 square feet), although it would be better for us (and the neighbors) if we were in a house situation and not an apartment. Besides, I haven't seen too many 4-bedroom apartments listed...but if there was one and that's what we could afford, well, we'd do it. Three bedrooms would be challenging. They would have to be large enough bedrooms to fit older kids. Our general expectations are to be NOT in a high crime area, NOT in a house that's falling down, NOT with slumlord landlords. We've lived all around the US and even abroad, and we are used to adapting to new environments, but at some point you hit a standard of, the house has to actually work and the neighborhood needs to be a safe one.

I'm assuming the schools are pretty good academically, given the kind of industry and university environment. What about music in schools? Do any of them offer orchestra? (We have a couple string players.)

I see a lot of people on these forums who are dying to move to some place and then hope they find a job there. We are looking for a job in a specific and competitive field, and will be left to work out the details depending on the job we get. So I guess I'm gathering information about the area and if it's even possible to live there, should we get an offer. I'm sure someone reading this is probably laughing at what they see as unrealistic questions/ideas, but truly, I appreciate any and all answers!

Old 04-11-2013, 04:00 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,462,326 times
Whatever you do, do NOT, repeat NOT, look at East Palo Alto.

You might find better housing deals on the other side of the Dumbarton Bridge, in Fremont. I don't know how the schools are, though.

Old 04-11-2013, 04:22 PM

Thanks, pch1013--you're the second person to say that about East Palo Alto. We will definitely stay away from that area! I'll have a look at the Fremont area.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:04 PM

Qualifying and getting the subsidized housing are two different things, as i am sure you know.

Given the salary, i think you would be hard pressed to find anything reasonable that would fit your needs given your family size. Also given the salary, i can assume it isnt the type of job that would put you on the priority list for subsidized housing. Again this an assumption - if you can provide more detail on the job and the position that would help.

I would make getting a subsidized housing a requirement for you taking the job and moving your family out there. When I was there, I had friends with kids who lived in Escondido Village, but they were students and they didnt have more than 2 kids. Also, they only got to live there for two years while in school.

otherwise, it would be tough even with an $80K salary to find something decent that was a reasonable commute with decent schools.

If it means anything, the people who lived in Escondido Village really enjoyed it. The area around Stanford is a very nice place to live but as many nice places in CA its very expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlcg37 View Post
We would qualify for the subsidized housing (I only just found out about it, which is why I didn't include that in my initial post). So far there isn't a salary listed in the official job post ("commensurate with experience," blah blah blah... Glassdoor estimates 55-75K for that kind of position, but the advertised position is pretty specialized, so I'm hoping it's on the higher end (else they will not get many applications!). Will do more research on that. That would be a nice salary for some areas in the US. It seems kind of miserable given the housing costs I'm seeing for that area.

We know we probably wouldn't be able to afford something like what we're in now (5 bed/2200 square feet), although it would be better for us (and the neighbors) if we were in a house situation and not an apartment. Besides, I haven't seen too many 4-bedroom apartments listed...but if there was one and that's what we could afford, well, we'd do it. Three bedrooms would be challenging. They would have to be large enough bedrooms to fit older kids. Our general expectations are to be NOT in a high crime area, NOT in a house that's falling down, NOT with slumlord landlords. We've lived all around the US and even abroad, and we are used to adapting to new environments, but at some point you hit a standard of, the house has to actually work and the neighborhood needs to be a safe one.

I'm assuming the schools are pretty good academically, given the kind of industry and university environment. What about music in schools? Do any of them offer orchestra? (We have a couple string players.)

I see a lot of people on these forums who are dying to move to some place and then hope they find a job there. We are looking for a job in a specific and competitive field, and will be left to work out the details depending on the job we get. So I guess I'm gathering information about the area and if it's even possible to live there, should we get an offer. I'm sure someone reading this is probably laughing at what they see as unrealistic questions/ideas, but truly, I appreciate any and all answers!

Old 04-11-2013, 05:08 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyao View Post
I would make getting a subsidized housing a requirement for you taking the job and moving your family out there. When I was there, I had friends with kids who lived in Escondido Village, but they were students and they didnt have more than 2 kids. Also, they only got to live there for two years while in school.

otherwise, it would be tough even with an $80K salary to find something decent that was a reasonable commute with decent schools.

If it means anything, the people who lived in Escondido Village really enjoyed it. The area around Stanford is a very nice place to live but as many nice places in CA its very expensive.
Yep, I lived in Escondido Village as a kid when my dad was studying at Stanford. Enjoyed it but eligibility may be limited to graduate students with children.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:10 PM

Here is the link to Escondido Village...as the previous poster mentioned it seems limited to students...

however, you may as well ask if you qualify for it...cant hurt to ask..

Escondido Village Lowrise Apartments | Student Housing

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Yep, I lived in Escondido Village as a kid when my dad was studying at Stanford. Enjoyed it but eligibility may be limited to graduate students with children.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:01 PM

It's not Escondido Village, but there is some university-owned, subsidized housing that is strictly for faculty/staff. When I look at all the requirements, we would fit in the first priority for all categories. However, it would also depend on if they had any available units. So I'm thinking that yes, that might be a requirement to accepting the job--that, or the salary turns out to be a whole lot more than it looks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland