Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 03:30 PM

4 posts, read 8,784 times

Advertisements

Dear Friends,

I am planning to move to Redwood City from Indianapolis with 100k salary , we are a married couple with an optimal life style[non luxury] . How ever we enjoy the combination of water, tress, mountains . We would like to live close to water [beach or lake or river] so that we can get in to the water when ever the weather is appropriate.

We will appreciate if you can suggest us a good community with the above combination. We would like to rent a place.

I tried to read most of the threads in this forum but could not find a suitable suggestion . Pardon me if this is a redundant question.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 05:05 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,355,232 times
If the water is that important to you, maybe you can consider Half Moon Bay, which is on the Pacific Coast. I don't know what your budget is, though, which is a very, very important factor in such a high cost area.

Commute might be a little long, as you would go over the 92 highway to the 280/92 interchange, where you would either continue on to 92 Eastbound to 101 South, or to 280 South to Woodside Road (State Route 84), going eastbound towards San Francisco Bay. 92 is a windy road, often 2-lanes from the coast to I-280, and I would imagine it gets congested.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:37 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinesh_advytha View Post
We would like to live close to water [beach or lake or river] so that we can get in to the water when ever the weather is appropriate.
I don't think there are any lakes or rivers near Redwood City at all that would work. The ocean is nearby but it never goes above 55 degrees and the weather is generally cool most of the time and not warm enough for swimming. But some people can seem to handle water that cold or you could swim in a wetsuit. There are pretty strong currents and waves to contend with though. There are places you can live close to the water just not necessarily swim in it.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:52 PM

2,201 posts, read 3,360,232 times
Redwood Shores is by the bay and very nice with hiking trails, etc. Redwood Shores But no mountains.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:43 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,077,874 times
Redwood City is on the wrong side of the Peninsula for that, what you are asking for is Half Moon Bay or Santa Cruz, which are not easy commutes to RWC. You could live in the hills near 280 but you'd still have to go down the hill to the west to get to the beach. Also the beaches in the Bay Area are almost always cold, windy and often foggy, and the water is cold, so most people don't really put a high priority on living near the beach, other than hard-core surfers.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:25 PM

28 posts, read 49,572 times
Only beach life you will get is going to San Francisco or driving over the Santa Cruz mountains to Half Moon Bay. From Redwood City, it would take you maybe ~20-40 minutes to get to Half Moon Bay. You can go kyaking and wind surfing around Redwood City in the bay. I see people paddle boarding in the canals of Foster City which is right next to Redwood City...

Plenty of trails, including urban and nature trails. And if you like mountains, you can hike around the Santa Cruz Mountains, which is just a short drive from Redwood City. OPENSPACE | Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District

Old 04-12-2013, 07:24 AM

4 posts, read 8,784 times
Many Thanks For All the responses :-)

Old 04-12-2013, 08:54 AM

102 posts, read 170,157 times
There is the Crystal Springs Reservoir, which is gorgeous and surrounded by mountains and forest. There are trails along it but the reservoir itself isn't open to the public. There are a couple of small lakes in Emerald Hills but again, not open to the public, though one of them I believe you can get access to and swim in through a membership of some sort. The areas near 280 are hilly and generally have a lot of natural trees, so it seems you might like those areas.

Redwood Shores is on the Bay. You don't want to swim in the Bay but you can boat. It is very flat there (it's on landfill) and it is more of a luxury development type of place, doesn't sound like your thing.

Living on the coast probably isn't what you expect - it is rugged, dramatic, and beautiful, but cool and foggy much of the time. The water is cold for swimming. I'd live in the hills east of 280, and the coast is only 7 miles away, an easy drive when the weather is hot (traffic notwithstanding).

Last edited by wave9x; 04-12-2013 at 09:03 AM..

Old 04-12-2013, 12:11 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,723,432 times
Check out La Honda in the Santa Cruz Mountains. It's surrounded by redwood forests and is halfway between Redwood City and the ocean. There's not much there. You would have to do most of your shopping in Redwood City. It's curvy 2-lane mountain roads to get to anywhere.

This is what passes for nightlife in La Honda: www.flickr.com/photos/33461472@N05/4069471516

Old 04-12-2013, 12:24 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,909,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
Check out La Honda in the Santa Cruz Mountains. It's surrounded by redwood forests and is halfway between Redwood City and the ocean. There's not much there. You would have to do most of your shopping in Redwood City. It's curvy 2-lane mountain roads to get to anywhere.

This is what passes for nightlife in La Honda: Apple Jack's | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
I second the La Honda recommendation. Also, check out houses along Skyline Blvd. These are more cabins than houses, but they could be with the OP is looking for. I've even seen a few advertised on Craigslist before (for very reasonable prices).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland