Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2013, 08:15 PM

10 posts, read 59,763 times

Advertisements

I've lived in So Cal my entire life and go to school down here, but I got accepted to San Fran state and decided to move up to Nor Cal! My boyfriend and I are looking for places right now online and plan to move in June. I don't want to live in San Fran, but we would LOVE to live in an area surrounded by nature and trees or just a town that's beautiful. If anyone has ever been to Oakhurst, we love it there because of all the trees! I'm 21 & he's 24, and although it's nice to have a younger crowd when we go out, we really don't mind. I've been researching areas like Half Moon Bay and Woodside where it seems like they're smaller towns surrounded by a nice area, but EVERYTHING is too pricey. Brisbane looks like a wonderful town, but I can't find pricing for apartments anywhere online. I know we're just going to have to visit, but to save time and money, I would like to do some research first. Anyone know anything about apartments in Brisbane? Or a nice small town with good views kinda by San Fran? I just need it to be close enough to catch BART. Also, we would like to find an apt under $900...is that realistic? Where we live, we got a 1 bedroom for $650.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 08:44 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,943,651 times
Brisbane doesn't have many trees and doesn't have much of a town. The area around SFSU is full of nice big trees and the park around Lake Merced is nice for jogging or walking. Fort Funston is also right there and one of the most beautiful parks out there. The only con about this area is the fog, but you'll get that in many parts of San Francisco.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:10 PM

127 posts, read 435,598 times
Like bmw says--there are not many trees or a town in Brisbane. Just live in San Francisco if you are going to SFSU. I went there and lived in San Francisco for 15 years--and it was perfect for that time of my life. Now I am married with 3 kids and surrounded by trees......which you will find in the East Bay. We live in Moraga, outside of Orinda and Lafayette.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:15 PM

10 posts, read 59,763 times
I heard that about SFSU - that it's surrounded by nature - I just figured that San Fran is ridiculously expensive. Any advice on areas to look at that are semi nice and cheap?

Old 04-17-2013, 10:45 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,297,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlesfan1 View Post
Also, we would like to find an apt under $900...is that realistic? Where we live, we got a 1 bedroom for $650.
For $900 you can get an apartment in a far away suburb like Fairfield or Antioch, or an apartment in a semi-ghetto area. Even in the foggiest parts of Pacifica they are asking $1900 for a 1br.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:25 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,943,651 times
Quote:
I heard that about SFSU - that it's surrounded by nature - I just figured that San Fran is ridiculously expensive. Any advice on areas to look at that are semi nice and cheap?
That's actually one of the cheapest areas in San Francisco, but you won't find anything private for $900. You'd have more luck finding a shared apartment that will allow two people to live in one room.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:07 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,229,968 times
Quote:
Also, we would like to find an apt under $900...is that realistic? Where we live, we got a 1 bedroom for $650.
If you see something for that price, I guarantee you it's a scam unless it's in Oakland.

Quote:
Anyone know anything about apartments in Brisbane? Or a nice small town with good views kinda by San Fran?
Brisbane has mostly single family homes or townhomes. I'd suggest you look in Daly City (Westlake), Outer Parkside, Park Merced or Oceanview Village. But expect to pay at least $1,500.

Also, I should warn you that the area around SFSU is kinda dull and cold. It's not the most exciting part of SF. I know too many SFSU students who arrive thinking they're going to be in SF only to find out they're basically in Daly City adjacent. On the bright side, rent is much more affordable there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland