Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 11:42 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times

Advertisements

I would not support this as written.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 12:12 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,896,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Because it is an issue where I work. We've had to go from checking the public restrooms from once or twice a day to every hour or two. In case you didn't realize that costs a lot more money to do.

Oh my heart really bleeds for you Robin Hood....

And what are those exact cost comparisons?
You're the janitor? Checking restrooms and understanding the cost of cleaning them doesn't make you any more aware than anyone else. It is an obvious problem to everyone. And so are the public safety costs. No advanced college degree required.

Here are resources for you to study to learn about costs ... exponentially higher to leave it as it is than to serve the disadvantaged population:

Quote:
The cost of homelessness can be quite high. Hospitalization, medical treatment, incarceration, police intervention, and emergency shelter expenses can add up quickly, making homelessness surprisingly expensive for municipalities and taxpayers."
National Alliance to End Homelessness: Cost of Homelessness
Quote:
"The thing we finally figured out is that it’s actually, not only better for people, but cheaper to solve homelessness than it is to put a band-aid on it," Donovan said in the March 5, 2012, appearance. "Because, at the end of the day, it costs, between shelters and emergency rooms and jails, it costs about $40,000 a year for a homeless person to be on the streets."
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...sts-taxpayers/
If you are still interested after reading the above, here is a compendium list for further study:
Dennis P. Culhane | "The Cost of Homelessness: A Perspective from the " and other papers

Old 04-24-2013, 12:39 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
You're the janitor? Checking restrooms and understanding the cost of cleaning them doesn't make you any more aware than anyone else. It is an obvious problem to everyone. And so are the public safety costs. No advanced college degree required.

Here are resources for you to study to learn about costs ... exponentially higher to leave it as it is than to serve the disadvantaged population:

If you are still interested after reading the above, here is a compendium list for further study:
Dennis P. Culhane | "The Cost of Homelessness: A Perspective from the " and other papers
Umm NO genius. I guess you don't get that there are people that deal with budgets and facilities management that do require a degree. I'm clearly more aware than you if think that it's only "janitors" that deal with this issue. But you live in a van and sail around on a boat so I don't expect you to understand much about reality

Old 04-24-2013, 01:07 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,946,756 times
Prior to living in San Francisco, I was much more of a bleeding heart when it came to the homeless. However, after living here for many years, my views completely changed. I'm sick of them using our sidewalks as bathrooms, throwing their trash everywhere, screaming profanity around children, and being allowed to be on drugs and liquor in public with no penalty. I'm not being cold hearted, they need to get off the street for their own good too. They would be much better off in prison. They could make them clean the parks and highways for money. It might actually save their lives. If I'm getting fast food and I see a homeless, I'll usually order a double cheeseburger and a cup of water to give to him or her. If I see one outside Starbucks, I'll get them a cup of water. If I have leftover food and I come across one, I'll give it to them. I'm not cold hearted, I'm just completely honest with the issue and not covering it up with political correctness or naivitivity.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:15 PM

536 posts, read 573,517 times
You're cool. Just the thing is you can't force the homeless to work. That's unconstitutional.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:28 PM

326 posts, read 529,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
if the government really wants to help, they should hire all sane homeless people to clean our parks and highways and in return get paid minimum wage. It would probably end up saving money instead of paying these giant union and their pension plans.
+1

Old 04-24-2013, 01:31 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,946,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafkaesque View Post
You're cool. Just the thing is you can't force the homeless to work. That's unconstitutional.
Okay, so you can either let them die or give them half your pay check

I'm sure you think you are special because you believe homeless should be given free everything and be allowed to do whatever they want wherever they want, but what have you actually done for them? Maybe you should ask yourself that before acting all mighty. Oh and supporting legislation to give tax payers money to homeless isn't exactly YOU helping them lol.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:43 PM

536 posts, read 573,517 times
I don't believe that at all. I don't believe they should be given everything. We just have constitutional rights
enshrined as a foundation of our country. I think helping homeless by paying taxes is helping them though
as is helping at the Salvation Army occasionally. YMMV. I don't think a place to use a bathroom and sleep in
public is everything. Bathrooms are important to help with the health risks, for instance.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:46 PM

326 posts, read 529,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafkaesque View Post
I don't believe that at all. I don't believe they should be given everything. We just have constitutional rights
enshrined as a foundation of our country. I think helping homeless by paying taxes is helping them though
as is helping at the Salvation Army occasionally. YMMV. I don't think a place to use a bathroom and sleep in
public is everything. Bathrooms are important to help with the health risks, for instance.
Everything you just wrote is already happening. There is no need to pass another ridiculous law in the name of compassion when there is already infrastructure that does this very task.

Homeless people do have constitutional rights like everyone else btw, its called The Bill of Rights.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:52 PM

622 posts, read 1,146,019 times
Homelessness is rarely a choice. Yes, there are some, especially in San Francisco, that make it a lifestyle. However, most end up there because life hit them really hard and the social safety net has failed.

From what I've seen and heard a lot are vets. Many, as you can see just walking past them on the street, are mentally unstable.

They don't have anywhere to go and sometimes shelters are more dangerous than opting to sleep on the streets. There just isn't any money anymore to help.

There is a tension. I don't want to say "okay" to giving the homeless the right to camp out on my doorstep, but I also want them to not be treated as subhuman. This law, as it's written, seems to merely slap a band aid on the issue of homelessness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland