U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 08:45 PM

16,584 posts, read 25,593,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Yeah, I'm not sure I'd consider Stockton to be a part of the Bay Area, but the Census Bureau does.
^This
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 01:57 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,520,917 times
Logan and LaGuardia airports are on the line, they want to know what you have against the name Minetta.

Old 05-08-2013, 02:04 PM

9,965 posts, read 16,550,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Yeah, I'm not sure I'd consider Stockton to be a part of the Bay Area, but the Census Bureau does.
I wouldn't consider Santa Cruz part of the Bay Area either--and growing up in Santa Cruz if anyone made the claim that they were from the Bay Area or Santa Cruz was part of the Bay Area in the presence of someone from "over-the-hill" they'd be shouted down and laughed at.

The definitions of the Census Bureau aside--I think we all know what the Bay Area actually consists of. Someday maybe even Salinas will be considered part of the Bay Area CMSA by the Census Bureau, but it'll never be part of the Bay Area as defined in the common vernacular. I mean I've never really considered Santa Rosa part of the Bay Area either, but the metro area includes Sonoma County basically which does actually touch San Pablo Bay...

Old 05-09-2013, 10:24 AM

2,357 posts, read 5,646,070 times
^^This.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:15 PM

96,681 posts, read 94,520,938 times
These "Stockton = 'Bay Area'?" and "Is Santa Cruz 'Bay Area'?" questions have already been adjudicated and resolved. Any place that's on the Central Valley map is by definition Not Bay Area. Any place located on the other side of hills/mountains from the Bay is by definition "Outer Bay Area", as settled by the Senno Court. (Which has adjourned indefinitely, but the rulings are still on the books.)

Old 05-10-2013, 04:52 PM

12,823 posts, read 22,911,209 times
As people who used to live in the inner Bay move further out due to housing costs, yet continue to commute to the same job (or a series of jobs near where they used to live) the definition of both CSAs and MSAs broaden. Common vernacular of home boys and home girls aside, real life has a way of instituting change whether we like it or not.

Old 05-10-2013, 06:50 PM

767 posts, read 1,646,159 times
san jose appx 60 miles away from sf
have any of its detractors even seen it on a map?
san jose and more broadly the silicon valley which it is part of constitutes its own region with a population of appx 2M in where one can both live and work
its a region part of but distinguishable from the larger sf bay area

Old 05-10-2013, 07:23 PM

10,925 posts, read 6,404,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
san jose appx 60 miles away from sf
have any of its detractors even seen it on a map?
san jose and more broadly the silicon valley which it is part of constitutes its own region with a population of appx 2M in where one can both live and work
its a region part of but distinguishable from the larger sf bay area
More like ~30 miles as the bird flies to the respective city limit borders (~35 miles driving). Or about ~40 miles as the bird flies CBD to CBD (~45 miles driving).

These distances may seem far, but when the development between the two places along the peninsula is only a couple miles wide at certain points, it becomes clear that these distances are really more of a reflection of the geographic constrictions this region faces.

San Jose's downtown and SF's downtown may be completely different places (they are in a technical sense), but there's certainly a TON of grey area between them. You tell me where the "SF area" begins/ends and the "SJ area" begins/ends. Living in the "SF area" and working in the "SJ area" (so I travel between these two "areas" daily), I certainly can't find it.

By the way, the 2 million figure is determined by the arbitrary cutoffs the census uses to split the areas into 2. It's really more of a split by county and really doesn't reflect once city's power over the other in a regional sense. Saying SJ's influence is over this many million people and SF's influence is over this many million people is really a useless debate as it's all arbitrary.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
I wouldn't consider Santa Cruz part of the Bay Area either--and growing up in Santa Cruz if anyone made the claim that they were from the Bay Area or Santa Cruz was part of the Bay Area in the presence of someone from "over-the-hill" they'd be shouted down and laughed at.

The definitions of the Census Bureau aside--I think we all know what the Bay Area actually consists of. Someday maybe even Salinas will be considered part of the Bay Area CMSA by the Census Bureau, but it'll never be part of the Bay Area as defined in the common vernacular. I mean I've never really considered Santa Rosa part of the Bay Area either, but the metro area includes Sonoma County basically which does actually touch San Pablo Bay...
You're right about Santa Cruz but Santa Rosa has always been part of the Bay Area. Sonoma County has always been included.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
These "Stockton = 'Bay Area'?" and "Is Santa Cruz 'Bay Area'?" questions have already been adjudicated and resolved. Any place that's on the Central Valley map is by definition Not Bay Area. Any place located on the other side of hills/mountains from the Bay is by definition "Outer Bay Area", as settled by the Senno Court. (Which has adjourned indefinitely, but the rulings are still on the books.)
^That
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland