Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 04:21 PM

167 posts, read 454,273 times

Advertisements

Thai,

I have a dear friend who lives in Ukiah. If you live in town, a modest 3 bedroom, 2 bath costs $350,000.00. If you live outside of town with acreage, you will pay close to $600,000.00. The town of Ukiah, is small and nice. Not to much to the town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 11:06 AM

18,983 posts, read 32,776,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbasinguide View Post
North Cal is where you want to be, think of Healdsburg, Calistoga, Philo, Occidental.. You can get that piece of land with a little cabin... Grow some black berries

San Diego is power, money and republicans.... Sweeping generalization there.

It's not a sweeping generalization but more of a completely wrong generalization. What "power" does SD exactly have over the much more powerful regions of the SF Bay Area and LA/Orange County? What money? People in SD make less than people in LA, Orange County, and the entire Bay Area (the wealthiest region in the country). Republicans? While it is more conservative than Northern CA, the city of SD has more democrats than republicans and is fairly moderate overall but by no means is the region entirely about republicans.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:19 AM

18,983 posts, read 32,776,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
My long term plan (2-3 years) is to move to CA - still debating between the SD burbs (Poway, Santee, La Mesa, etc.) or north of SF - Santa Rosa to Ukiah. Any comments on the various communities along that corridor? I'm leaning towards Santa Rosa because of its proximity to SF when I need a dose of "civilization" but I want to live in a quiet, rural/suburban area with a dog & a boyfriend (still shopping for both) and see domesticated animals once in a while. I like the progressive counter culture of NOCAL - alternative energy, gay culture, broad minded people. I understand 101 is the main drag and the traffic is a real drag. Is it true there's no rail service??? That's really surprising given CA's environmentally progressive reputation. I love outdoor activities - hiking, swimming, tennis, biking. Thanks for your comments.
The inland parts of Northern CA are nicer than Southern CA. While Poway is nice, Santee is not so great and kind of redneck. La Mesa is nice but kind of in the middle of the area and surrounded by other cities and is not that rural. Poway has very little public transit too, but Santee and La Mesa both have trolley stations.

I think Northern CA fits you a little better, Southern CA is more urbanized. Northern CA is more liberal so if that is important to you then go with that.

There is no rail service in that area mainly b/c of Marin County to the south always opposing it, so there might not ever be any in that area. CA has lots of environmentally progressive people but also a lot of hypocrites who say support public transit and affordable housing until it comes to there neighborhood.

Ukiah might be a little far out there but it's a nice small town. I used to live there for a few years and have family there still. Very beautiful area with lakes, a river, and lots of forests.

Cloverdale, Healdsburg, and Windsor are all pretty nice and not too far from Santa Rosa. I would check out those towns, Cloverdale might be the cheapest since its the furthest (30 min) from SR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland