Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 01:39 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,237,276 times

Advertisements

My long term plan (2-3 years) is to move to CA - still debating between the SD burbs (Poway, Santee, La Mesa, etc.) or north of SF - Santa Rosa to Ukiah. Any comments on the various communities along that corridor? I'm leaning towards Santa Rosa because of its proximity to SF when I need a dose of "civilization" but I want to live in a quiet, rural/suburban area with a dog & a boyfriend (still shopping for both) and see domesticated animals once in a while. I like the progressive counter culture of NOCAL - alternative energy, gay culture, broad minded people. I understand 101 is the main drag and the traffic is a real drag. Is it true there's no rail service??? That's really surprising given CA's environmentally progressive reputation. I love outdoor activities - hiking, swimming, tennis, biking. Thanks for your comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2006, 02:15 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,436,548 times
North Cal is where you want to be, think of Healdsburg, Calistoga, Philo, Occidental.. You can get that piece of land with a little cabin... Grow some black berries

San Diego is power, money and republicans.... Sweeping generalization there.

Old 10-10-2006, 08:22 PM

Default Money!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbasinguide View Post
North Cal is where you want to be, think of Healdsburg, Calistoga, Philo, Occidental.. You can get that piece of land with a little cabin... Grow some black berries

San Diego is power, money and republicans.... Sweeping generalization there.
MONEY, MONEY, DID SOMEBODY SAY MONEY! That would be the only reason I'd move there. I was there in May for a real estate conference. There are several really sophisticated investor organizations I'm interested in to learn the finer points of being rich. Thanks for the info.

Old 10-10-2006, 08:33 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,436,548 times
Quote:
I like the progressive counter culture of NOCAL - alternative energy, gay culture, broad minded people.
"MONEY, MONEY, DID SOMEBODY SAY MONEY! That would be the only reason I'd move there."
HUH!

Old 10-20-2006, 07:59 AM

[quote=
San Diego is power, money and republicans.... Sweeping generalization there.[/QUOTE]

OOOPS. Wrong quote. I mean money is the only reason I'd go to SD.

Old 10-21-2006, 10:10 AM

20 posts, read 133,280 times
Default Santa Rosa

My sister and her husband (retired) live outside of Santa Rosa-- just finished building a house on a hill in the country. I have yet to visit, but from all accounts I've heard of the area, money would be a very good association to make. (As in having a lot of it, if you want to buy a place in that area). But I think they had the same general objectives for a place to live as it sounds like you do.. and they could afford to go basically anywhere they wanted, so it sounds like you're on the right track w/ Santa Rosa to Ukiah. It can get pretty hot in the summer, she tells me.

Old 10-25-2006, 02:02 AM

7 posts, read 54,620 times
No. Nor Cal is not the place for you. NO MONEY THERE!!! One trip over the bumpy cracked roads will telll you that. Nice scenery, but San Diego is one of the best cities to move to. Waterfront, night life, and MONEY. Grapes, and vineyards end about 10 MILES North of Napa Valley. Too much rain in the winter, Too hot in the summer. San Diego is just perfect year round. And don't worry about the republicans, they won't bite. Remember this is a blue state.

Old 10-26-2006, 04:23 PM

10 posts, read 36,220 times
Default Other possibilities than Santa Rosa/Ukiah

As a life long resident I can say that there are lots of wonderful rural-ish communities here. Sonoma is fabulous, Sebastopol is great.
BUT
Everything costs too **** much here anymore.
Lots of snotty midwesterners really screwed this place up in the 80's and 90's. Moved here then bitched about the weather (boring) but they never went home (grrrrrr)

Too many people, prices too high. It is a sad state of affairs.
We are seriously considering leaving California.

Old 10-27-2006, 12:27 AM

852 posts, read 3,811,520 times
You might find the areas outside Temecula to be a decent compromise. There are horse properties, and while they aren't cheap, the weather is nice and the amenities of Southern California are there. Fallbrook is another nearby option.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:20 PM

60 posts, read 365,000 times
Default Ukiah house prices

How would house prices in Ukiah compare with those in Vacaville? I know what this city-data site says the median house price is, but what is reality today in Ukiah for lower end and middle 3/2 type houses? Could do some fix-up as husband is a contractor.
How's the ambience in Ukiah? Hippie, farm oriented, blue collar or ???
Thanks for any info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland