U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 08:30 AM

84 posts, read 132,411 times

Advertisements

After almost a year of living in Berkeley, we are considering biting the bullet and moving closer to where my husband works (close to the Dumbarton Bridge). The commute is brutal for him, and it is looking like it will probably only get worse, as any future job opportunities are likely to be closer to San Jose and Santa Clara than San Francisco.

My question is this: where should we be looking? We like the diversity and cultural opportunities found in the East Bay, and I'm concerned about moving into a community where we people are consumed by the rat race of making (and spending) money. Maybe this is just a stereotype and I don't need to worry about it. But I would like to move somewhere reasonably "down to earth" where the neighbors are friendly, our kids can play with other kids on our street, safety isn't a constant concern, and the weather isn't brutally hot.

We have a good friend who is convinced Belmont is a great place for families. Is this true? Any other suggestions? Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 10:27 AM

16,526 posts, read 17,442,721 times
Belmont, Millbrae, Burlingame, San Mateo, San Carlos and Foster City are all nice cities on the Peninsula. The Peninsula maintains cooler weather than the East Bay.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:35 AM

34,139 posts, read 58,781,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Belmont, Millbrae, Burlingame, San Mateo, and Foster City are all nice cities on the Peninsula. The Peninsula maintains cooler weather than the East Bay.
Berkeley, which directly faces the Golden Gate channel where ocean breezes and fog enter the bay, is about the same as the Peninsula, if not cooler actually.

Anyway, I can relate to the OP. I live in Oakland and work in Palo Alto. My commute has gotten noticeably worse since the economy began roaring back. I could live near my job if I wanted but I prefer to live in Oakland, more my taste.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:02 AM

28,095 posts, read 32,269,432 times
San Mateo's weather is pretty similar to Oakland's.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I could live near my job if I wanted but I prefer to live in Oakland, more my taste.
I completely understand. I think that is my main struggle. In many ways, Oakland is more my style too - even more so than Berkeley! It is so hard to find a balanced combination of what we need: non-stratospheric housing costs, reliable public schools, interesting mix of people/things to do, and proximity to the Peninsula. I never EVER imagined moving that far away from an urban atmosphere, but I'm starting to wonder if it's worth it to never see my husband and have his commute cause so much stress.

Sigh.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:27 PM

6,915 posts, read 13,173,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkadoodle View Post
I completely understand. I think that is my main struggle. In many ways, Oakland is more my style too - even more so than Berkeley! It is so hard to find a balanced combination of what we need: non-stratospheric housing costs, reliable public schools, interesting mix of people/things to do, and proximity to the Peninsula. I never EVER imagined moving that far away from an urban atmosphere, but I'm starting to wonder if it's worth it to never see my husband and have his commute cause so much stress.

Sigh.

I'd move to San Mateo then... it feels the most like an actual location on the Peninsula other than Redwood City but RWC has more serious issues with crime and crappy public schools these days. Public schools in San Mateo are fine for the most part.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:32 PM

13,131 posts, read 8,168,663 times
How about Fremont? Good schools, ethnic diversity and probably really near your husband's commute. Only thing is that it doesn't have much of a city center having been incorporated from 5 small towns.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:49 PM

2,783 posts, read 5,238,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
How about Fremont? Good schools, ethnic diversity and probably really near your husband's commute. Only thing is that it doesn't have much of a city center having been incorporated from 5 small towns.
I agree Fremont is a great choice. In addition to good schools and diverse family communities, one will probably save about $1000 per month in rent compared to yuppie towns like Belmont and San Carlos.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
one will probably save about $1000 per month in rent compared to yuppie towns like Belmont and San Carlos.
What exactly is a "yuppie town"? Just curious.

Old 05-06-2013, 04:04 PM

2,783 posts, read 5,238,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkadoodle View Post
What exactly is a "yuppie town"? Just curious.
They have a special school vacation in February for ski week. If you go to downtown San Carlos and look around you will see what I mean. Everything is so perfectly upscale. I used to like that place but recently I cannot stand it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland