U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 07:54 PM

24,076 posts, read 24,259,831 times

Advertisements

Report: Why Oakland barely investigates burglaries - SFGate

Oakland hired consultants to tackle their crime problem and they found Oakland police assigned only one part-time investigator to handle 10,000 reported burglaries last year, a stunning deficiency discovered by police consultants who were hired by the city to find solutions to the crime problem.

A full crime plan to address burglaries, shootings, robberies and homicides will be released on Friday. I'm curious to see what steps they will take to change things.

If you don't want to have a constructive discussion, please do not comment... no one worded *yawn* comments etc or you will be reported.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 08:14 PM

28,234 posts, read 34,717,740 times
I will quote myself:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Oakland needs to add the 200+ voter mandated officers ASAP. OPD is significantly under resourced, as long as that is the case, crimes of opportunity will remain high.
To explain, in 2004 Oakland residents approved Measure Y. Which basically said Oakland will keep an 800 officer minimum. That mandate was only met for a few months in 2008, and police kept decreasing because the city leaders raided the budget. As a result, Oakland residents are unwilling to find another ballot measure since the initial finding was misused. And the city hasn't provided an explanation or plan on how it will meet this mandate.

Here is some background: Oakland's Measure Y Is a Bad Law | Politics & Government | Oakland, Berkeley, Bay Area & California | Robert Gammon
http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...ed-3247131.php
https://www.baycitizen.org/news/elec...h-times-ahead/

In recent years no proposals have offered concrete plans on how to increase police numbers, and the city hasn't even made good faith attempts at increasing the numbers, canceling police academies and losing officers to attrition and retirement.

The City keeps saying "show me the money" and the voters are saying "show me the plan and the proof you will be accountable to the plan."

Old 05-09-2013, 08:49 PM

Thanks for the insight, it's really helpful and I wasn't aware of this measure. I didn't know mandates were able to be broken without consequence.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:16 PM

Oakland's budget needs restructuring. And police salaries and pensions are way too expensive. Police and fire is eating up most of the city's budget (75% of the general fund). That's a problem. I don't want to give the city extra money until $$ is used more efficiently.

Not saying police and fire isn't a worthwhile job, but the average salary (including OT) for OPD or OFD is ~$200k. We aren't going to get very far when each new officer costs $150-200k.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Oakland's budget needs restructuring. And police salaries and pensions are way too expensive. Police and fire is eating up most of the city's budget (75% of the general fund). That's a problem. I don't want to give the city extra money until $$ is used more efficiently.

Not saying police and fire isn't a worthwhile job, but the average salary (including OT) for OPD or OFD is ~$200k. We aren't going to get very far when each new officer costs $150-200k.
That is very understandable. I always thought SFPD got paid the most, I didn't realize OPD paid so well. I can imagine the pensions must be eating up available resources. Thanks for the explanation.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:47 PM

604 posts, read 1,242,464 times
Quote:

Does that figure include all benies Jade? Or just salary plus OT?

Old 05-09-2013, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echilibru View Post
Does that figure include all benies Jade? Or just salary plus OT?
Salary and OT make up the bulk. People are doubling their salaries with OT. I think the average salary is about $75-85k. The average person makes another $60k-80k via OT. I will have to dig up the estimate average. If I recall, the rest of the benefits (pension etc) make up about $30-40k of the annual salary.

Oakland Cop Out (compares OPD costs vs other cities)
Oakland police, firefighter pay devouring budget - SFGate (pay expose, 440 of the top 500 paid people in City of Oakland are police and fire)

And another happy factoid: 86% of OPD doesn't live in Oakland:
The High Costs of Outsourcing Police | Feature | Oakland, Berkeley & Bay Area News & Arts Coverage

Found: this article has an average salary+benefits for OPD at $188k.
Oakland police layoff talks go down to the wire - SFGate

Quote:
The council voted last month to lay off more than 10 percent of the police force to cope with what officials describe as an unprecedented financial crisis. The $407 million general fund budget for the fiscal year that began July 1 represents a decline of $69 million since 2005, and public safety now accounts for three-fourths of discretionary spending.
With the average officer's salary and benefits totaling $188,000 a year, City Councilman Ignacio De La Fuente, a union leader himself, has described the situation as "unsustainable."

Old 05-09-2013, 10:50 PM

604 posts, read 1,242,464 times
Hmm, you'd think they'd be able to hire cheaper younger officers at a lesser rate than the old timers and have more people on staff for less cashola.

What's the deal with the overtime actually? Why so much? When it approaches doubling salary it's clearly time to look at hiring more people and reducing the OT some, and you have additional coverage with fresher officers, that aren't at the end of 12 hour shifts when they respond to calls.

I'm not understanding their calculus.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:45 AM

14,206 posts, read 13,098,952 times
Well, they are supposed to be pushing through a few groups of new recruits within the next two years, the first graduating class was in March:
Oakland Police Graduates Its First Academy Class Since 2008 « CBS San Francisco

mod cut

Last edited by Sam I Am; 05-13-2013 at 04:52 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 05-10-2013, 01:23 PM

9,031 posts, read 9,924,819 times
And in other OPD news... the temporary police chief who was appointed to replace the previous police chief who stepped down on Wednesday, has stepped down.

Oakland's newest top cop steps down - SFGate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland