Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 10:17 AM

622 posts, read 1,146,184 times

Advertisements

They're going for race car sailing in the very windy SF Bay. I can't imagine the turbulence out there between the waves and the wind. It's got to be crazy. I just saw a report that said in the latest death, he was underwater for 10 minutes. There is no way he could have made it that long.

Until they put in some safe guards probably more will die. However, with this guy being an Olympian, they're probably going to take steps to make it safer out there. We'll see how well it works. I hope it does. We're past the time of gladiator sports, so it would be nice to have all the team members survive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 01:29 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,311,234 times
For those of you who (apparently) know nothing about sailing in general and the Ac specifically, let me give you a few pointers.

The AC 72's (like the one that crashed yesterday) are the big brothers to the AC 45's which have been racing for several years now. The 45's have proven to be very popular around the world, including SF Bay. Watching from the shore is good for the sport of sailing as watching some graphic on the TV is less than entertaining to most people.

The portion of SF Bay reserved for the race course is world renowned for the wind and tides and the challenge to sail it effectively. I've won and lost races by making the wrong call out there.

The 72's are very fast boats and developing them has been a lesson in applied engineering. The Oracle boat that crashed a few months ago ended up with several modifications which seem to tame it down without giving up speed. Yesterday's crash appears to have been caused by a failure of the front cross beam which allowed the two hulls to sort of sail off in different directions and led to the "pitchpole".

Every crewmember has an emergency air bottle as part of their kit. It's hard to say if they will increase the size of them in the future. They already wear crash helmets and flak jackets.

Sailboat racing can be very dangerous, even in smaller vessels. I've got a bum shoulder from a gear failure during a race. Deaths are rare (Thank goodness) but not unknown in the sport. I'm also missing the reference to the 4th accident.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:39 PM

622 posts, read 1,146,184 times
^^^ I know almost nothing about sailing. The only thing I know is that I get seasick fast even on a fancy cruise ship (but they're so much fun that I'll go again anyway).

Thanks for the details. I have a friend who got into sailing for awhile. She learned from a friend and they sailed in the SF Bay, so I know the winds can be rough as are the waves out there. Based on that, it's definitely dangerous at the speeds the America's Cup racers trying to reach.

Here is some info on the fourth accident from the NYTimes: Olympian Dies in America’s Cup Training After Yacht Flips

Old 05-10-2013, 01:51 PM

604 posts, read 1,301,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
For those of you who (apparently) know nothing about sailing in general and the Ac specifically, let me give you a few pointers.

The AC 72's (like the one that crashed yesterday) are the big brothers to the AC 45's which have been racing for several years now. The 45's have proven to be very popular around the world, including SF Bay. Watching from the shore is good for the sport of sailing as watching some graphic on the TV is less than entertaining to most people.

The portion of SF Bay reserved for the race course is world renowned for the wind and tides and the challenge to sail it effectively. I've won and lost races by making the wrong call out there.

The 72's are very fast boats and developing them has been a lesson in applied engineering. The Oracle boat that crashed a few months ago ended up with several modifications which seem to tame it down without giving up speed. Yesterday's crash appears to have been caused by a failure of the front cross beam which allowed the two hulls to sort of sail off in different directions and led to the "pitchpole".

Every crewmember has an emergency air bottle as part of their kit. It's hard to say if they will increase the size of them in the future. They already wear crash helmets and flak jackets.

Sailboat racing can be very dangerous, even in smaller vessels. I've got a bum shoulder from a gear failure during a race. Deaths are rare (Thank goodness) but not unknown in the sport. I'm also missing the reference to the 4th accident.
When has that ever stopped rampant speculation about anything?

Do you get Buffeted around on the bay though during races?

It would seem a little tight quarters to this land lubber as well in the Bay. Is the Bay a challenging course for world class sailors as it doesn't seem to be open water, and what I'd think of as a typical course for the AC. But my experience is cheering on Dennis Connor and Ted Turner during the high water mark of the sport here in the US from a mass media perspective, hehe.

I know of no way to remove all the risk from any activity, even non-gladiatorial sports. 4 injuries doesn't sound especially bad to me, in sheer numbers and what I know of the physical requirements on AC boats. And sadly I am aware that sailors die on rare occasion.

Old 05-10-2013, 02:49 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,785,557 times
the sf bay is known for strong winds and the spring is the most dangerous time of year.
the hot weather in sacremento 90+ sucks in the cool ocean air through the golden gate bridge. i had an unintended gybe south of alcatraz during a small craft warning and my traveller car broke. literally shredded into a mangled piece of junk.

the positive is if you sail the sf bay regularly you are pretty experienced with strong winds.

Old 05-10-2013, 02:52 PM

2,250 posts, read 1,395,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinsdalepirahna View Post
they are trying to turn sailing into nascar.
nascuba

Old 05-10-2013, 04:35 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,311,234 times
Default *

Quote:
Originally Posted by echilibru View Post

Do you get Buffeted around on the bay though during races?
Only when the tide ran against the wind. Which is to say twice a day it can get kinda ugly.

Now if you're talking Jimmy Buffetted, that's a whole 'nother topic!

Old 05-10-2013, 04:43 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
the sf bay is known for strong winds and the spring is the most dangerous time of year.
the hot weather in sacremento 90+ sucks in the cool ocean air through the golden gate bridge. i had an unintended gybe south of alcatraz during a small craft warning and my traveller car broke. literally shredded into a mangled piece of junk.

the positive is if you sail the sf bay regularly you are pretty experienced with strong winds.
Actually, the onshore winds are at their strongest during the Summer.

Old 05-10-2013, 04:48 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post

Thanks for the insight...those of us who are very uneducated on the issue appreciate it.

Old 05-10-2013, 04:51 PM

604 posts, read 1,301,777 times
And those of us that can't tie a knot that's not Boy Scout taught and know so little about sailing that a dinghy would be dangerous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland