Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 02:24 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times

Advertisements

Oakland has and is changing but there are several things influencing that change. The most noticeable are Rockridge and Temescal which have always been decent areas. In the last 20 years or so they have almost become extensions of Berkeley in a way. The CAL influence has taken over a good part of northern Oakland more so than in the past. I lived briefly on 46st just west of West st. some years back. This area, I believe it's Longfellow, has definitely seen a demographic shift; it was once almost entirely black, mostly older retired blacks and/or families. Today this area is more diverse and younger. Physically, it still looks largely the same so the changes are not obvious.

As you head closer to Jack London Square and in pockets down along 880 there has been some noticeable gentrification with new condos going up. Overall, the city still has a lot of it's original charm but it has also absorbed some of Berkeley's and San Francisco's old charm. People who left those cities and moved to Oakland. It will be interesting to see how things continue to change in Oakland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 03:22 PM

219 posts, read 436,231 times
People, life could be worse. An extension of Berkeley in Oakland can't be a bad thing. Better, imo, than an extension of Oakland into Berkeley. First y'all are complaining about crime in Oakland. Then you rag on non-crime people moving in. Life brings change. Go with the lesser of the evils.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:32 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,278,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
I frequently hear people complain about how judgmental, elitist, and self-absorbed San Francisco is, how it's not "real", and how much better Oakland is. Yet don't these people realize that by constantly knocking on SF and proclaiming their superiority by living in Oakland, they themselves have also become judgmental, elitist, and self-absorbed? The vast majority of people that I meet in SF are either neutral, or have good things to say about Oakland when I tell them that I live across the Bay. Maybe it's just my personal experience, but I experience Oakland residents putting down SF a lot more than the other way around.
Sorry, but I've encountered the opposite. I work in SF and hang out there all the time, but the VAST MAJORITY of SF people can't be bothered to leave their little bubble and head over to "crime infested" Oakland. Some of my really good SF friends poke fun at me for living in Oakland and take jabs at the city's woes whenever possible, which is pretty irritating. As a result, I have a set of Oakland/East Bay friends who often make the trek with me to the city, or they just pick a place to meet up in Oakland if they don't feel like it, and SF friends who do practically everything in the city. I'm fine hanging out in both cities and bouncing all over the place, but I hardly ever meet Oakland/East Bay people that lead an active/social life like mine that flat out refuse to go to the city.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:42 PM

76 posts, read 243,269 times
Such a self-defeating thread. If everyone hates hipsters why do people - especially people with money - follow them? But I guess stealing, killing for turf or wearing the wrong color or "hey, where you from?", is better. And don't worry, even when hipsters move in, it takes a long time for the smell of **** to wear off from the doorways, just ask downtown LA and the LBC. It's always easy to make fun of people you secretly admire. That's why you love watching "the Soup" right after watching "Keeping Up with Kardashians".

Oakland looks a lot more like Echo Park in LA than SF anyway, which is a good thing - talk about diversity. And don't worry, there's still plenty of crime in Oaktown to satisfy the so-called keeping it real vibe. Whatever.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZorbaTheGeek View Post
People, life could be worse. An extension of Berkeley in Oakland can't be a bad thing.
Who said it was?

Old 05-14-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Sorry, but I've encountered the opposite. I work in SF and hang out there all the time, but the VAST MAJORITY of SF people can't be bothered to leave their little bubble and head over to "crime infested" Oakland. Some of my really good SF friends poke fun at me for living in Oakland and take jabs at the city's woes whenever possible, which is pretty irritating. As a result, I have a set of Oakland/East Bay friends who often make the trek with me to the city, or they just pick a place to meet up in Oakland if they don't feel like it, and SF friends who do practically everything in the city. I'm fine hanging out in both cities and bouncing all over the place, but I hardly ever meet Oakland/East Bay people that lead an active/social life like mine that flat out refuse to go to the city.
^This. SF is one of two cities that irritate the hell out of me with this. They never want to leave and they really do think that they live in the greatest place on earth.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:48 PM

Is it just me or do some who have participated in this thread don't quite grasp what's being said here?

Old 05-14-2013, 03:51 PM

219 posts, read 436,231 times
^^ Read the thread, dude, check out the OP's vibe. Grime and grit are good. Berkeley intellectuals and the hip scene are "self-aggrandizing, self-absorbed and self-serving selling out".

mod cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by the12ronin View Post
Why are all my friends moving to Oakland? - The Bold Italic - San Francisco

Let me know if the vibe is starting to feel different to you around Oak-town, and if you think it's headed down the same dark road of self-aggrandizing, self-absorbed, self-serving selling out that is now SF's dark cloud hovering over it.

Oakland seems to be one of the last cities(the very last in the Bay) in the country that is still keeping it real, and has it's grime and grit along with it's friendliness and genuineness intact.

Unfortunately, that always seems to attract the very element that ultimately stamps it out and destroys it utterly with gentrification, and en masse commercializing for the mainstream(RIP Brooklyn).

Last edited by Sam I Am; 05-15-2013 at 02:31 AM..

Old 05-14-2013, 03:53 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,278,655 times
I really don't think all of Oakland is overrun with yuppies/hipsters either. Yeah there are a few bars/coffee shops that can be that way, but Oakland is pretty eclectic and doesn't have just one scene devoted to annoying groups of people. When I'm not dressed up for work, I'm a t-shirt/flip flops type of guy that hangs out everywhere and so are a lot of Oakland people who are pretty laid back and casual. You can find hipsters/yuppies pretty much anywhere in America and if they bother you, just find spots where they don't tend to congregate.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:55 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
I frequently hear people complain about how judgmental, elitist, and self-absorbed San Francisco is, how it's not "real", and how much better Oakland is. Yet don't these people realize that by constantly knocking on SF and proclaiming their superiority by living in Oakland, they themselves have also become judgmental, elitist, and self-absorbed? The vast majority of people that I meet in SF are either neutral, or have good things to say about Oakland when I tell them that I live across the Bay. Maybe it's just my personal experience, but I experience Oakland residents putting down SF a lot more than the other way around.
I just don't hear this in real life at all. I do hear stuff like:
"I am too lazy to go to SF, so I'll just hang out in <insert Oakland neighborhood here>"
"Argh, hipsters are invading <insert favorite place here>
"Parking in Oakland is way easier than SF."

That is really about it. More commentary on message boards than in real life. Wel OK besides griping about the Marina/Cow Hollow Area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland