Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 04:57 PM

88 posts, read 132,101 times

Advertisements

Is Texas much different than Fresno?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 05:29 PM

3,243 posts, read 6,295,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neinei876 View Post
Texas is a very large state with many different cities and regions with a very strong economy. Fresno is a medium sized city with a depression level economy. Fresno unemployment = 14.4%. Austin unemployment = 5.0%. Houston unemployment = 6.4%.

One of the main advantages of Texas is that it has no income tax. However if you have a low income that is not an advantage to you. You might be better of looking in a high tax,high service,low cost state with a good economy. Example:Minneapolis-St. Paul with an unemployment rate of 5.3% and lots of social resources.

Ramsey County HS

Old 05-17-2013, 05:36 PM

Capoeira, are you recommending a high tax areas because of more services? I know California has high taxes and services are just being cut. I'm not sure how well other states are doing.

I wouldn't think I'd be qualified for government assistance at $30k but I would rather not have any assistance (unless my savings is almost depleted and I'm at the verge of being homeless). No income tax does sound nice though

I guess a Texas question should go into the Texas forum.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:34 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Texas would be cheap but would be very different than Cali. Low cost metro areas are easy to find, but cultural fit is much harder. Also harder to find well paying jobs but your money goes further.

I would imagine in suburban Texas or Atlanta you could find a great two bedroom apartment for about $750.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:50 PM

Jade408, the cultural fit and lifestyle are things I'm questioning and wanting to learn more about as well. I was born in Oakland, lived in Fremont till I was 5. Then lived most of my life in Fresno and went to college in Santa Cruz. I've only been to Oregon and Nevada in terms of domestic travel and neither of those appeal as much.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:03 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Quote:
The cities I mentioned (Austin, Houston, Dallas) are completely different than Fresno. Houston and Dallas are huge cities and known throughout the world as is San Francisco. There are many districts that have their own character. There is a lot of infastructure, restaurants, culture, events and even In N Out lol. Austin is probably the friendliest city. You can actually go to a bar there and just start talking with people around you. People are really down to Earth and politically speaking it is about 50/50, actually they lean a bit left in all three cities. Houston is more tropical and you'll be able to drive to the beach and back on the same day. Dallas feels like it has more seasons. A lot of homes are made out of really beautiful brick. Austin has rolling hills and a really thriving downtown area that has a great music and art scene. I have family in Houston, near Dallas and friends from Austin. I never really thought much of Texas before visiting them, but I am always pleasantly surprised. They have all the amenities San Francisco besides the beautiful views. However, in return you have beautiful neighborhoods that are incredibly affordable.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:20 PM

jade408, no problem! I've used my phone a couple times too

Such good info, bmw335xi! Weren't you originally from Texas? I thought I read your name somewhere but I may be wrong.
Are there In N Outs in the midwest and east coast? I never thought of them not being "there," well, since they're a chain, lol.
I have been in tropical weather before and do enjoy it. Also, I don't really choose a side when it comes to politics because I agree and disagree on both ends and I do get along with all kinds of people. Does Houston get hurricanes since it's close to the beach?
Any pros and cons on Dallas? Is it on the path of tornadoes?

Old 05-17-2013, 10:44 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Quote:
jade408, no problem! I've used my phone a couple times too

Such good info, bmw335xi! Weren't you originally from Texas? I thought I read your name somewhere but I may be wrong.
Are there In N Outs in the midwest and east coast? I never thought of them not being "there," well, since they're a chain, lol.
I have been in tropical weather before and do enjoy it. Also, I don't really choose a side when it comes to politics because I agree and disagree on both ends and I do get along with all kinds of people. Does Houston get hurricanes since it's close to the beach?
Any pros and cons on Dallas? Is it on the path of tornadoes?
I'm originally from Alaska, but I have lived in many cities. In N Out for a long time was only in California, but then they opened locations in Nevada, Arizona, Utah and recently Texas. This was more of a joke though lol. People in other states dream about In N Out. That is why the line in Las Vegas is so long. I used to hire a taxi to eat there before I lived in California. Houston doesn't really get hurricanes, they get the refugees and damaging tornadoes are very rare in Dallas. I would recommend posting on the Texas sub forums if you are seriously considering it. I am just impressed every time I visit my relatives with the neighborhoods, the homes, the districts, the architecture and especially the affordability. It's a nice mix of old and new. This goes for both Dallas and Houston. The economy is also very strong there. My cousin is an officer in the Coast Guard and a lot of officers are leaving because they are getting better offers from private companies. This is in Houston. I just think living in the Bay Area with a child on $30k-$40k will be pushing it, not impossible for sure, but pushing it. You could live in a much nicer area, feel less stressed and not have to drive an hour just to get big city amenities. Schools are well funded and the economy is very robust.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:47 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,517,875 times
Quote:
It's far far better than Fresno in every way. Fresno is horrible!

Old 05-17-2013, 10:50 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,517,875 times
I think 30-35k income is good in the city because you will easily qualify for almost free BMR housing program and probably also qualify for whole bunch of welfare programs. You will be better off than a lower middle class family earning 90k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland