U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 12:27 PM

159 posts, read 422,995 times

Advertisements

Do people outside of California know about the city of Oakland and the "Bay Area?"

Of course everybody knows San Francisco and the Golden Gate Bridge, but a lot of people I know who live in the US have never heard of Oakland or the Bay Area. When I was talking with people online from Washington state and Massachusetts or Florida and I said I wanted to go to an event in Oakland, they said that they have never heard of Oakland. They thought it was probably a small town out in the countryside.

Also, I said I lived in the Bay Area to this guy I have talked to a lot online, and he is from Washington state. He said he wanted to move to San Francisco, but he did not know what the Bay Area is. He said, "what is the Bay Area?" I had to explain to him, and apparently many other people outside of California don't know what the Bay Area is.

So I guess I should be more specific when I talk about the Bay Area, saying it's the San Francisco Bay Area, lol.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 06:17 PM

671 posts, read 761,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyanideThistles View Post
Do people outside of California know about the city of Oakland and the "Bay Area?"
When I first started traveling abroad, I always used to tell people I was from San Francisco, even though I grew up in Hayward and live in the south bay now. In my experience, 9 times out of 10 a college educated European will know all about the bay area (including Oakland) and half the time they've visited San Francisco, too.

Americans are a different story... I'm sure someone else will elaborate.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:53 PM

2,305 posts, read 5,216,673 times
From my experiences, most people seem to know where the Bay Area is. They've probably never heard of 90% of the cities or towns in the region, but they know it's a region that surrounds the San Francisco Bay and San Francisco is the most prominent city in the area.

Most people I've met who aren't from the area don't really know anything else about any of the other parts of the Bay Area though and mostly just know SF.

As far as knowing Oakland specifically, Oakland seems to be somewhat well known nationally as a city with high crime and no redeeming qualities that needs to be avoided at all costs. Fortunately, there are plenty of knowledgeable people on this board to help dispel those myths.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:24 PM

16,537 posts, read 17,448,808 times
I have traveled quite extensively both in the US and internationally, mostly for work. Most people in the US do know "the Bay Area" and Oakland and associate it (not surprisingly) with San Francisco.

Most people that I have met in international locations do not know "the Bay Area" or Oakland, but most know San Francisco.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:38 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
34,062 posts, read 61,975,311 times
I agree, internationally it's best to say "San Francisco Bay Area", but here in WA I can say I'm from the Bay Area and everyone thinks east bay. Many don't know there are actually 9 bay area counties and a lot of cities, but they do know Oakland because of the crime stories, A's and Raiders. Most of the time they think the people moving here from CA are from the Walnut Creek/San Ramon area. When I say I came from Castro Valley they think it's where the artichokes come from!

Old 06-03-2013, 11:29 AM

87,832 posts, read 81,589,805 times
Nowadays people in the US at least have heard of Berkeley, so it's easier to explain where Oakland is. There was a time, as noted above, when Bay Area residents kept it simple and said they were from SF. That was a long time ago, though. That's still necessary internationally, though.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:36 AM

675 posts, read 1,057,602 times
I must admit, I was globally challenged prior to my first visit to the Bay Area in 1989. Prior to that, I thought Oakland was near LA, due to all the rappers wearing Oakland Raider hats. Then again, the Raiders did play in LA for a while, hence my confusion. When I hear Raiders, I always think Oakland, not LA.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:40 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,481,954 times
Whenever I travel internationally I would say I was from San Francisco (I grew up in Piedmont and Oakland until I was 27). I would see friends say Oakland, and people just look at confused. As soon as I'd butt in with "San Francisco" the person would nod their head and grin, and know exactly where we were talking about. My friends quickly learned to just tell people they were from San Francisco.

In the US, I'd say the Bay Area of California, and if they looked confused, then I added, "across from San Francisco."

People should also keep in mind that there are multiple cities and towns in the US named Oakland, and there are also multiple bays. So if you're going to say Oakland or the Bay Area, at least add California to the end, so they know what state you're talking about.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:45 AM

12,824 posts, read 21,541,839 times
(Amurcan wearing shorts, Stanford hoodie, and Nikes with calf high socks) Hiiiiiiiii therrrrrrre! I'm Harvey! Where am I from? Oh, I'm from Mountain View! (/Amurcan wearing shorts, Stanford hoodie, and Nikes with calf high socks)

Old 06-03-2013, 11:55 AM

3,775 posts, read 6,320,445 times
I was born in the Tampa Bay area and live in the San Francisco Bay Area now.

I think I'm more Bay Area than most. =P

Re: the OP's question. I think people in the U.S. know that Oakland is a relatively large city, and usually have knowledge of its crime stigma, but I would generally assume that they don't know exactly where it's located. I have smart, college-educated friends from around the country who plan on visiting assume that the drive from Oakland to LA, Anaheim, or San Diego is much shorter than it actually is. I do think people tend to know 'Bay Area' as San Francisco-ish more-so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland