Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2013, 07:59 PM

40 posts, read 84,393 times

Advertisements

I have a choice to make - right now I make 50k residing in Davis, going to the office in San Francisco about 1x / month and working at home the rest of the time. I've been here a year. I have been offered increased salary of 58k if I move to Alameda or somewhere near SF and go to the office 2-3x per week.

This is $666 per month, after tax take home increase of about $444/month. That would cover a rent increase of $300 to $1550 total, and commute costs (ferry/bus/bart/tolls/parking) of $145 monthly. There are a whole 4 apartments to choose from on CL now in that price range.

What throws a wrench in the works is I have an 11 year old child, full time. I'm looking at childcare costs that could go way up, especially in summer, to $500 per month or more if childcare really costs 15-20/hour in the bay area.

I also hate to lose 4-6 hours a week of personal time to a commute. It wouldn't seem like much time if I didn't have a child or he had any other family to be with when I wasn't around, but he really only has me. Dad has no time for him and grandparents are far away. No siblings or cousins. We have moved a lot post-divorce, which is kind of another reason to stay where we are.

I think I could have a better social life in the bay area, and it would be nice to be in the office a few days a week just for human interaction, I really miss being by the ocean, and it would probably be better for my career to be there in person more... I'm just not sure this is enough to live in the bay area and not be stressed out, especially as a single mother.

Anyone living in the east bay have thoughts of the ease of commute and childcare issues? Or that salary in SFBA in general? Too low?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 08:08 PM

330 posts, read 749,668 times
Kind of sounds like you already know the answer. Stay in Davis. $58k a year with a child in the East Bay will stick you in a very undesirable area. I wouldn't even try it.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:21 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,076,984 times
Stay in Davis especially if you are comfortable on that income and enjoy living there. Family is important. Tell them rents are too high in the Bay Area to get by on 58k--tell them that 90k or more (or something like that) is what you'd need to consider it. They can take it or leave it, and they have to pay to play if they want to attract workers to a horribly expensive real estate market.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:36 AM

578 posts, read 1,294,705 times
Are you going to be splitting a 1bed or trying to go for a 2bed? It's a really busy time in Alameda right now, and you're going to need to look off of Craigslist in order to find anything. There are realty places like Gallagher & Lindsey, Padmapper in general or just getting out here and looking ... pretty kid friendly place here.

If you want to get back into the ocean, I would suggest taking a look at public transit around your work. Alameda has some great lines directly into San Francisco to the Transbay which take about 30 minutes and leave you without the hassle of trying to get onto the Bay Bridge. There's also the ferry for a public commute. You can then catch the next line to work.

For your child, have you considered summer camps?

Old 06-04-2013, 10:24 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,987,173 times
I honestly don't think the slight increase in pay justifies moving. You'll need to add up all additional hidden costs..for instance, auto insurance rates will be higher, transportation costs will be more, and as you've already mentioned...after school child care.

Davis is a very nice town...I wouldn't chance the quality of life you already seem to have. Few people end up at the ocean here (too cold, can't go in the water) and there's no guarantee that you'd be socializing any more with colleagues at work.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:43 AM

40 posts, read 84,393 times
Thanks to all of you for the input.

My office is in the Mission - right where there have been 2 shootings in the last 2 months, one was 1 block away and another 2 blocks from the office, both in daytime. That goes in the 'against' column. To be fair though, normally it's a nice enough area.

I thought I would take the ferry to Embarcadero (30 min) then bike or muni up Market to Laguna (25 min.) so it would take about an hour total.

The camps idea is good, but it looks like they average $400/week… definitely can't afford that for the whole summer.

Davis is pretty nice - we can bike everywhere here, and I like the international flavor - I've met people from about a dozen countries already among my neighbors and other parents. Lots of good swimming pools.

Overall I'm thinking I might not have time to enjoy Alameda or the area with the extra time spent commuting and the reduced money. I love to sail, surf, and paddle outrigger canoe, but time and money are needed for those too.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:31 AM

578 posts, read 1,294,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manzanita2012 View Post
Overall I'm thinking I might not have time to enjoy Alameda or the area with the extra time spent commuting and the reduced money. I love to sail, surf, and paddle outrigger canoe, but time and money are needed for those too.
Then perhaps you have your answer ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland