Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 07:15 PM

3 posts, read 5,638 times

Advertisements

We are currently living in Manhattan and moving to SF this summer. We feel like we should do something that we can't do in SF, or eat we won't have in SF... What should we do? What was your check-off list? Also, we want to bring our friends in SF some souvenier from NY... what should we get?

Any comments would be really appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 09:45 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
I'm not from NYC but here are some things I find lacking here vs NYC:
- Easy availability of the following cuisines: Cuban, really great Halal "fast food" Pakistani, NY style Pizza, NY style Kosher deli, several African ones ..
- Late night activity / open restos / etc (sidewalks tend to roll up around midnight ...)
- A reasonably good cab system
- The subway (yeah we have a few lines but let us face the fact it's a joke ...)
- Being the hub of a massive and usable intra city rail network (nothing we can do about this, it is the curse of geography and history)

Old 06-10-2013, 10:55 AM

675 posts, read 1,190,253 times
When I lived in SF from 1999-2006, the only thing I missed were certain foods. I missed pizza big time. Can't get good pizza in California. Passable to decent, but never great. Bagels are hit an miss too. When I would go back to NYC to visit family, I always got pizza (at least a few times). I also missed news stands. Otherwise, I found great Italian, Chinese, Thai, Indian, etc. Now that I'm living in NYC, I'm missing good Mexican food. Can't get good Mexican food in NYC. Or at least California quality.

Overall, I could pretty much find anything I needed while in SF. As far as souvernirs to bring back from NYC for your SF friends, That's a tough one. NY has such an eccentric feel to it, you can bring back anything from a small sculpture or piece of art, to some sports memorabilia, that's a tough call.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:03 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,645,402 times
There is also very little West Indian food in the Bay Area. I don't think there's a single restaurant left in SF proper, and several in the East Bay have closed up shop too.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:16 AM

1,023 posts, read 1,551,908 times
Bagels. There is some new place in SF that supposedly makes bagels as good as in NYC, but they are $3 a pop.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:36 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,645,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentobox34 View Post
Bagels. There is some new place in SF that supposedly makes bagels as good as in NYC, but they are $3 a pop.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:56 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,077,874 times
I've only ever spent about 3 days in NYC but I did grow up in South Florida where there's a ton of guidos from NYC, Long Island and New Jersey, so there's a fair amount of NYC-style food.

Pizza in the Bay Area can definitely be hit or miss. For good NYC style slices check out Arinell's, I prefer the Berkeley location's slices to the one in the Mission. Gioia's in North Berkeley is pretty great too.

As for bagels, I always liked Katz's a lot, they have a location at Mission and New Montgomery in downtown and one in the Mission.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:13 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,355,232 times
I'd say deli sandwiches are to die for in NYC. I went to grad school in NY and whenever I make a return trip to NY I need to get my pastrami sandwich fix.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:18 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,077,874 times
It's true, sandwiches in the Bay Area kinda suck...here and there you can find some good ones but they're usually something frou-frou or California style, not a good true Philly- or NYC-style deli sandwich. I just ended up getting my own stuff at the deli and making my own at home. Market Hall in North Oakland is really good for deli meats.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:15 AM

13 posts, read 26,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttocs99 View Post
When I lived in SF from 1999-2006, the only thing I missed were certain foods. I missed pizza big time. Can't get good pizza in California. Passable to decent, but never great. Bagels are hit an miss too. When I would go back to NYC to visit family, I always got pizza (at least a few times). I also missed news stands. Otherwise, I found great Italian, Chinese, Thai, Indian, etc. Now that I'm living in NYC, I'm missing good Mexican food. Can't get good Mexican food in NYC. Or at least California quality.

Overall, I could pretty much find anything I needed while in SF. As far as souvernirs to bring back from NYC for your SF friends, That's a tough one. NY has such an eccentric feel to it, you can bring back anything from a small sculpture or piece of art, to some sports memorabilia, that's a tough call.
I AGREE! Pizza in California just can't touch NY pizza!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland