Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 10:13 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times

Advertisements

Not sure how I feel about this, but this limbo is annoying!

San Jose sues MLB over A's blocked move - SFGate

Old 06-18-2013, 10:31 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,598,964 times
San Jose shot themselves in the foot.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:47 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,343,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1110 View Post
San Jose shot themselves in the foot.
Explain.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:05 PM

14,669 posts, read 14,631,326 times
This needs to get resolved one way or the other, so I don't see the lawsuit as a bad thing, even for the pro-Oakland side of the issue.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:18 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,598,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Explain.
More legal complications, more delays + MLB animosity.

Quote:
"The lawsuit is an unfounded attack on the fundamental structures of a professional sports league," [Vice President] Manfred said. "It is regrettable that the city has resorted to litigation that has no basis in law or in fact."

Old 06-19-2013, 12:02 AM

Quote:
- There has been no progress, only delays. This is at least another jumpstart toward some kind of fate.
- The legal complications, as you call them, can only become settled by this being handled in the court. Selig and the owners saw no need to sort out **** themselves.
- MLB has previously been sued by St. Petersburg and Seattle on the same grounds, with expansion franchises that followed, but that's no guarantee of anything. Who knows what the hell goes on in the olde boy's club.

If San Jose doesn't get a ballpark, things will still move forward with the Diridon redevelopment area. That's why a decision is needed now, not later ( or never).

Old 06-19-2013, 01:13 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
This needs to get resolved one way or the other, so I don't see the lawsuit as a bad thing, even for the pro-Oakland side of the issue.
I agree. I'm so sick of waiting around for a new ballpark. I prefer the A's to stay in Oakland but prefer them to get a new ballpark even if it's in San Jose at this point. It's ridiculous how long this has dragged on.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:29 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
I liked what some of the A's players had to say about this issue/story:

Quote:
“Nothing against the Coliseum, but you get tired of hearing complaints about it from opponents coming in,” outfielder Brandon Moss said. “It’s not the most aesthetic place to play. But the fans that come to the Coliseum are the best, they’re rowdy like football fans, and they’ve been supporting the team since 1968. It would be great for the Bay Area and San Jose and Major League Baseball to have a nice new stadium, it would make money and the place would be packed, but you also have to remember who got you there.”

Moss said he hopes that if and when a stadium is built – wherever it is built – that there is reasonable pricing so longtime fans can still attend as many games as they usually do.

“Don’t outprice your loyal fans,” he said. “You’ve got to keep those blue-collar fans there. They’ve been the ones supporting us all this time. They’ve been there every night in the ugliest stadium in baseball, and they should be there even if we have the nicest stadium in baseball. But I do think a new stadium would be good for the team and for the area. ”
http://blog.sfgate.com/athletics/201...d-other-notes/

I would love to see Oakland do something like Petco Park in San Diego. That is a really nice stadium AND it's affordable, I believe the Padres actually have the lowest average ticket price this season in MLB.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:29 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Yes, in my opinion this actually helps Oakland's case. When SJs mayor came out a while back threatening a lawsuit it didn't sit well with Bud Selig.

And their lawyer on the news yesterday said that by virtue of being the 10th largest city in the country, SJ therefore has the 'right' to have a baseball team and MLB doesn't have the authority to block it???

That was soooo laughable. Having a sports team is NOT an inalienable right guaranteed by the law regardless of how big a city is otherwise this same lawyer should be suing the NFL on behalf of Los Angeles . LMAO.

I think(well, as an Oaklander I mean I hope(LOL)) this is going to blow up in their faces and we get to keep our team.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:34 AM

Seriously, how does it help Oakland's case? That has sadly been Oakland's plan this whole time: wait for everything to happen around them. Regardless of this lawsuit, that dolt Quan still needs to figure out which site they'e going to study and they need to move forward with doing so. Amazing that so many think the status quo will suddenly be acceptable to MLB if San Jose is not approved.

And "right to compete" for a sports franchise/business is not the same as "right to a team."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland