Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 11:45 PM

3 posts, read 10,569 times

Advertisements

I am a 61 year old woman who has lived in the S.F. Bay Area most of her life...it is extremely expensive and anyone who tells you otherwise in being unkind to you. You would certainly need a roomie....a big part of the "fun" of S.F. is eating at the great and varied restaurants...that takes $$$$$$$$$
Forget a car as most places don't have garages with the monthly rent...public transportation is pretty good but not free....my son has a VERY well paying job in NYC, his wife is a college instructor, they would LOVE to move back out here to be near family..they could NOT buy in a decent part of "the city" any more than they could in NYC!!! But they do spend A LOT of their income on eating out at this point...if your are young and I 'm guessing that you are, then find a good, reliable room-mate and get a reasonably priced apt. in a NON trendy area....if that job has a future in it then go for it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 12:55 AM

30,286 posts, read 51,837,829 times
I agree with most of your post, Colorado Dreamin', except for the car part... I have a garage AND driveway included in my rent, since we're in a row-house (which all have them). Apartments & condos are a different story, but you can usually rent parking spaces for between $150-250 a month. That might get me to consider ditching the car, but honestly it's a necessity since I'm driving to the Peninsula 2-4 times a week. It also depends on what neighborhood you're living in, since some (like mine) are farther from good public transit - and have more street parking available. For instance Potrero Hill, where I do most of my shopping, has surprisingly EASY street parking! So while it's a great idea to depend on Muni & BART, it really depends on exactly where you're living and/or working.

Old 11-07-2007, 05:12 AM

175 posts, read 730,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Dreamin' View Post
I am a 61 year old woman who has lived in the S.F. Bay Area most of her life...it is extremely expensive and anyone who tells you otherwise in being unkind to you. You would certainly need a roomie....a big part of the "fun" of S.F. is eating at the great and varied restaurants...that takes $$$$$$$$$
Yes, going out to restaurants CAN be expensive, however it depends on the type of restaurant. I ate at incredibly good Thai restaurants where the food was only about $8 a meal. Also, they say that the food in the Mission is quite inexpensive. So, it depends on the types of places a person goes to. Lots of great inexpensive choices. Hmm.. Chinatown comes to mind etc.

Speaking of Chinatown... I was shocked at how cheap the fruits and vegetables were there. .49 cents for a pound of grapes!!.. Here in the Midwest, it is a big deal if you see them for $1.49 a lb.....So food can be found cheap in San Francisco when grocery shopping.

Old 11-07-2007, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by music7lover View Post
Yes, going out to restaurants CAN be expensive, however it depends on the type of restaurant. I ate at incredibly good Thai restaurants where the food was only about $8 a meal. Also, they say that the food in the Mission is quite inexpensive. So, it depends on the types of places a person goes to. Lots of great inexpensive choices. Hmm.. Chinatown comes to mind etc.
That's very true! I know quite a few good "cheap eats" around the city, especially in my out-of-the-way neighborhood... two favorites are the $3.50 lunch special at Ling Ling's (lemon chicken & rice is yummy!!), and the giant New York-style pizza slices for $1.75 at the Pizza Joint - both on San Bruno near Silver. And yes, the Mission has some great cheap food, but also some more expensive places... I love Spicy Bite at Mission & Cortland, and Cha Cha Cha, which are slightly more pricey.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:30 AM

23 posts, read 172,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I agree with most of your post, Colorado Dreamin', except for the car part... I have a garage AND driveway included in my rent, since we're in a row-house (which all have them). Apartments & condos are a different story, but you can usually rent parking spaces for between $150-250 a month.
May I know where I can find sth similar with garage at extra $$$?

Any names you'll have?

Thanks,

Old 11-07-2007, 12:53 PM

36,644 posts, read 67,332,308 times
For people not to preoccupied with materialism and having "stuff", 60K is just fine for 1 person.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ile Flottante View Post
May I know where I can find sth similar with garage at extra $$$?

Any names you'll have?

Thanks,
I can't recommend anyone specific (don't know & not allowed on here ), but you can read the listings on craigslist or other rentals. They always mention if parking is included, since that's a big deal here! Your best bet is to rent a HOUSE rather than apartment, since they have a garage or driveway that you won't share... but of course that's pricier, so for me it meant getting a roommate. Though I mainly chose a house because of my dog & cats, who REALLY appreciate our tiny backyard. You're also more likely to find parking in certain neighborhoods, generally the ones farther from downtown - Sunset, Excelsior, Ocean View, Vis Valley, Potrero Hill, etc.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:33 AM

23 posts, read 172,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
You're also more likely to find parking in certain neighborhoods, generally the ones farther from downtown - Sunset, Excelsior, Ocean View, Vis Valley, Potrero Hill, etc.
Thanks for all your information. At least these areas are where I can start from.

Of all these areas, which ones are in good neighbourhood? I totally had no clue and can you pls explain further? If it's possible, ranking them from the best to the worst?

Old 11-08-2007, 11:32 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,107,018 times
Visitacion Valley is one of the roughest parts of SF, particularly around Bayshore & Sunnydale, and Excelsior is a bit marginal though I personally prefer that Outer Mission area over some of the 'nice' neighborhoods. Potrero Hill, Ocean View/Ingleside, and the Sunset are considered desirable, depending on how much sunshine you want.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:33 PM

4 posts, read 8,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
For people not to preoccupied with materialism and having "stuff", 60K is just fine for 1 person.
So for a family of 4 (husband, wife, 7yo daughter and 2yo son) given the taxes are smaller bec. of dependents, it is not sufficient? . Thanks in advance for any reply...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland