Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 09:57 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Unions are really not needed in this day and age. The workplace should be all managed by the free market.
Unions are needed, though there is a marked difference between public- and private-sector unions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 10:20 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
They actually picked a good week to strike. There is lower traffic, many people are taking the week off due to the mid week 4th.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:13 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
I think unions are good. We have swu g the balance ce a little too far in favor of employers and not employees. But I have little sympathy for BART workers who have it pretty good. Although muni has it better.

Just another reason we need to consolidate transit agencies in the region. We have far too many.

On an autocorrecting iDevice.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:37 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I think unions are good. We have swu g the balance ce a little too far in favor of employers and not employees. But I have little sympathy for BART workers who have it pretty good. Although muni has it better.

Just another reason we need to consolidate transit agencies in the region. We have far too many.

On an autocorrecting iDevice.
This is exactly the reason why we should NOT consolidate all transit agencies... they could shut down the entire Bay Area and have even more bargaining power than they already do.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:40 PM

460 posts, read 982,088 times
The BART union embraces greed. Greed is good!

BART fares are one of the highest in the nation when travelling from a SF suburb into downtown SF while fares are far cheaper intra-SF. This price gouging comes from high BART wages and benefits. Heck, we still have carpets on many trains. Nothing like 1980s nostalgia in 2013.

Here is the standard script between BART unions and BART management:

Unions demand 7% increase each year for the foreseeable future. Management offers 1%. Then the unions strike. Then after lots of wrangling they would come to something reasonable on both sides - the "Duh offer". Meanwhile, the union leaders look great for getting more than management offered, while management looks great for getting less than union leadership wanted.

Last edited by AngusHsu; 07-01-2013 at 02:07 PM..

Old 07-01-2013, 12:56 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
This is exactly the reason why we should NOT consolidate all transit agencies... they could shut down the entire Bay Area and have even more bargaining power than they already do.
I think Bart union is jealous of munis bd provision that guaranteed them top five highest wages in the nation. They get raises whenever other agencies do to stay on the list. I think less competition and agencies to compare with would be better. When was the last time you heard about an NYC transit strike?

And less overhead means more money that could go to workers

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:01 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,552,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusHsu View Post
BART fares are the highest in the nation when travelling from a SF suburb into downtown SF while fares a far cheaper intra-SF.
At the risk of thread derailment, BART fares are distance-based, so the reason intra-SF trips are cheaper is because they happen to be shorter. Also, BART's fare policy is not very relevant to this labor dispute.

Secondly, your comment about "highest in the nation" didn't sound right to me. I checked one example, Stamford CT to Manhattan (35 miles) which costs $13.75 at peak period and $10.25 off peak. Fremont to downtown San Francisco (36 miles) costs $5.65.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:10 PM

460 posts, read 982,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentobox34 View Post
At the risk of thread derailment, BART fares are distance-based, so the reason intra-SF trips are cheaper is because they happen to be shorter. Also, BART's fare policy is not very relevant to this labor dispute.

Secondly, your comment about "highest in the nation" didn't sound right to me. I checked one example, Stamford CT to Manhattan (35 miles) which costs $13.75 at peak period and $10.25 off peak. Fremont to downtown San Francisco (36 miles) costs $5.65.
BART's fare policy is not directly linked to the labor dispute. My main point was that fares are high largely because of union negotiations in its favor over the years. A station agent without a college degree making $71K will cause fares to be higher, and I haven't even discussed benefits yet.

So fares are not necessarily the highest. It is a complete rip-off though coming from the inner suburbs into SF, say in Daly City station or Lake Merritt station into downtown SF. Those are short rides with hefty fares. You can go from Coney Island into lower Manhattan for 2.50.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:16 PM

64 posts, read 235,978 times
There was an NYC transit strike in 2005. I was there and it sucked.

Quote:
I think Bart union is jealous of munis bd provision that guaranteed them top five highest wages in the nation. They get raises whenever other agencies do to stay on the list. I think less competition and agencies to compare with would be better. When was the last time you heard about an NYC transit strike?

Old 07-01-2013, 02:19 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:

And less overhead means more money that could go to workers

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.
The work ethic and culture is very different in NYC. It's the land of handouts and entitlements in SF, which is not the attitude in NYC. I don't think enough will ever be enough here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland