Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 08:26 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhugeLiang View Post
It's a darn good thing that Wal-Mart is the only retailer where this sort of thing occurs.
How many stores do you know of where cashiers and other staff don't know from one week to the next whether they'll be working 40 hours or 36 hours or 32 hours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 09:08 PM

119 posts, read 233,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
You guys will tolerate lunatics urinating and defecating everywhere, aggressive panhandlers in the Tenderloin and in the Haight, experimental social policies funded by and foisted on the taxpayers,
anti-(real eastate)growth policies which keeps the cost of real estate and rentals sky high...

And you don't want a Walmart in SF?

Walmart which will provide jobs for so many of the poor- who you guys express sympathy for- and save shoppers money with reduced prices- which will reduce the COL for the poor who you express sympathy for?

Fools.

You deserve yourselves.
Great point. There is no end to the hypocrisy of this region. I don't shop at Walmart but they fill a need for millions of poor people - which this city has more than they care to admit

Old 06-30-2013, 09:20 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,136,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
They'll also save on stuff like milk, bread, toilet paper, diapers, etc...

I personally don't care for Wal-Mart but if people want to shop there let them. Target seems to do well in SF.
Are they cheaper than Safeway? If they are, at what ultimate cost?

Old 06-30-2013, 09:25 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
as opposed to unemployed, poor on food stamps and medical
Your rolling eyes miss the point so I won't waste time "pointing" it out to you.

Old 06-30-2013, 10:16 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Are they cheaper than Safeway? If they are, at what ultimate cost?
Yes they are cheaper pretty much overall. Not that i disagree about Wal Marts questionable labor practices but some people are bit more concerned about paying for essentials and rent than stuff like that.

I have to agree with some others, this thread kind of reeks of stereotypical SF hypocrisy and elitism.

Old 06-30-2013, 10:47 PM

767 posts, read 1,743,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
...and keep them poor and on food stamps and Medi-Cal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
as opposed to unemployed, poor on food stamps and medical
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Your rolling eyes miss the point so I won't waste time "pointing" it out to you.
Well if you won't point it out to him, then point it out to me.

I'd like to see your reasoning that Walmart "keeps" these people poor as opposed to.. what? Releasing them from their state of bondage the absence of which would result in their all becoming doctors & lawyers?

Is Walmart the oppressor here?

Old 06-30-2013, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Yes they are cheaper pretty much overall. Not that i disagree about Wal Marts questionable labor practices but some people are bit more concerned about paying for essentials and rent than stuff like that.

I have to agree with some others, this thread kind of reeks of stereotypical SF hypocrisy and elitism.
What happens when Wal-Mart artificially lowers its prices below market value to unfairly compete against local businesses for market share, only to raise prices once the locals are driven out?

Are you also aware the Wal-Mart accomplishes this by pressuring manufacturers to make inferior "Wal-Mart-only versions of their products that look so similar to their versions sold elsewhere that they trick consumers? I have first-hand knowledge of this happening.

Old 06-30-2013, 10:59 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,278,655 times
Oh noes a Wal-Mart in SF???

Don't like Wal-Mart? Don't shop there or don't work there.

Old 06-30-2013, 11:07 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
I don't think WalMart's going to be able to open a bricks and mortar store in the city of San Francisco, and I doubt they want to do so. Land is scarce, expensive, and probably unavailable for the footprint required for a SuperStore.

Typically, WM asks for a lot of concessions from city governments, such as exemptions from zoning, planning and environmental requirements, and I don't see that coming from the City of San Francisco. A few years ago, voters in Inglewood, CA rejected a WM superstore.

Finally, SF has a living wage ordinance, which is goes against WalMart's economic model, so to say. Retail doesn't necessarily mean one has to pay rotten wages and benefits. Costco actually pays fairly well for a retailer, and they have a pretty stable workforce - which has paid off in profits for the company. And yes, SF has a Costco.

Old 06-30-2013, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Oh noes a Wal-Mart in SF???

Don't like Wal-Mart? Don't shop there or don't work there.
This is exactly the advice I gave. Wal-Mart is not opening a store in SF yet, they are attempting to enter the market through grocery delivery in cities like SF and NYC, where their model doesn't traditionally work.

This article is from 2010:

Walmart sets sights on San Francisco - SFGate

Apparently, they have been unsuccessful to this point inside the City. However, lately, there has been some grocery delivery activity, trucked in from outside SF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland