Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 02:47 AM

32 posts, read 53,619 times

Advertisements

I don't know what your transportation situation is, but Skyline College in San Bruno is Excellent, and there is plenty of affordable parking lots on the School's property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2013, 03:11 AM

3,244 posts, read 6,298,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
lol
now, my question- why do people go to community college in sf at all? its more expensive to live there, expensive to commute from elsewhere- so why go to community college there at all when there are so many community colleges in the less-expensive suburbs and yet-less-expensive beyond?
Where should high school students in SF go after they finish high school if they cannot qualify for or afford a four year college? Most of them go to City College. Also the main campus of City College is next to a Bart staion and a Muni train line making it convenient for people without a car. City College also has unique programs not duplicated by the much smaller community colleges in the suburbs such as Biotech,Aircraft maintenance and Culinary Arts.

Unfortunately CCSF has been incredibly mismanaged. Example:"At City College of San Francisco, full-time academic employees who have worked for the district for five years and have reached age 55 are eligible for lifetime district-paid health benefits when they retire."

SF college spends 92 percent of budget on salaries, benefits | California Watch

Old 07-04-2013, 11:24 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,741,992 times
Surprised they don't have to go on Medicare at 65 like the State employees do.

Old 07-04-2013, 03:04 PM

767 posts, read 1,743,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Where should high school students in SF go after they finish high school if they cannot qualify for or afford a four year college? Most of them go to City College. Also the main campus of City College is next to a Bart staion and a Muni train line making it convenient for people without a car. City College also has unique programs not duplicated by the much smaller community colleges in the suburbs such as Biotech,Aircraft maintenance and Culinary Arts.
Yeah, I suppose.

What I had in mind when I posted was the paucity of late teen/early 20-somethings living in SF due to its being a heavily yuppie city, but you're right, those young people are there and they need some (comparatively) affordable community college nearby.

Quote:
Unfortunately CCSF has been incredibly mismanaged. Example:"At City College of San Francisco, full-time academic employees who have worked for the district for five years and have reached age 55 are eligible for lifetime district-paid health benefits when they retire."

SF college spends 92 percent of budget on salaries, benefits | California Watch
Wow.

But at least the teachers pay out of pocket for classroom supplies! That offsets their compensation, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Surprised they don't have to go on Medicare at 65 like the State employees do.
That's for plebians.

These CCSF people characterize SF in their transcendence of what "other" employees deserve.

Yes, they're that much better than their counterparts outside of SF county. I hope.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:39 PM

1,374 posts, read 2,434,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
lol

now, my question- why do people go to community college in sf at all? its more expensive to live there, expensive to commute from elsewhere- so why go to community college there at all when there are so many community colleges in the less-expensive suburbs and yet-less-expensive beyond?

*shrug*

way back in my day, one reason people went to community college was because it cost less than the universities. i guess that no longer applies!
Those who already live in San Francisco, and perhaps still live with their parents in SF (free room and board). This offset a lot of cost of going to other community college.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:50 AM

1 posts, read 616 times
How does voting for more City College funding mean that current SF voters don't care about City College? Some of these commentators seem to have more of a chip on their shoulder about being left behind by the tech industry than about the welfare of City College. I'm one of those people who moved to SF 20+ years ago to pursue an education and am staying to raise my family. I voted for the parcel tax because financial shortfalls were one of the issues threatening City College's accreditation. In other words, I voted to pay more taxes in order to save City College. Anyone who sees that as not caring about public education in SF needs to go back to school and get a brain.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:13 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,071,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott456 View Post
from the above article: "City College is expected to appeal the decision."
They will get the necessary accreditation. No worries.
They will make the changes. The appeal goes back to the accreditation board that stripped their accreditation - it doesn't go to a neutral 3rd party (at least, that's my understanding from an article in the chronicle).

Old 07-12-2013, 02:55 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,916,693 times
Default misleading headline

CCSF has *not yet lost* its accreditation, and it may never happen. It's a serious threat, but please do not post as "news" something that might happen.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:54 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,298,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
CCSF has *not yet lost* its accreditation, and it may never happen. It's a serious threat, but please do not post as "news" something that might happen.
Their accreditation has been revoked. They might appeal and get it back but that seems doubtful considering the attitude coming out of City College. Did you read the article? "City College of San Francisco will lose its accreditation a year from now"

Or this article:"A group of City College SF students, faculty, and supporters are gathering today to rally outside the Department of Education's offices at 50 Beale Street in protest of the school's loss of accreditation, announced last week."

City College S.F. Students And Faculty To Protest Accreditation Loss: SFist

"SF City College to lose accreditation"

SF City College to lose accreditation - AP State News - The Sacramento Bee

"City College of San Francisco, the largest community college in the state and one of the largest in the nation, will have its accreditation terminated in a year for failing to correct a series of financial, management and governance problems"

Commission votes to revoke City College of San Francisco accreditation | EdSource Today

"City College's accreditation was being revoked."

Who killed City College? | SF Bay Guardian

Old 07-12-2013, 01:31 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,908,243 times
Quote:
Their accreditation has been revoked. They might appeal and get it back but that seems doubtful considering the attitude coming out of City College. Did you read the article? "City College of San Francisco will lose its accreditation a year from now"

Or this article:"A group of City College SF students, faculty, and supporters are gathering today to rally outside the Department of Education's offices at 50 Beale Street in protest of the school's loss of accreditation, announced last week."

City College S.F. Students And Faculty To Protest Accreditation Loss: SFist

"SF City College to lose accreditation"

SF City College to lose accreditation - AP State News - The Sacramento Bee

"City College of San Francisco, the largest community college in the state and one of the largest in the nation, will have its accreditation terminated in a year for failing to correct a series of financial, management and governance problems"

Commission votes to revoke City College of San Francisco accreditation | EdSource Today

"City College's accreditation was being revoked."

Who killed City College? | SF Bay Guardian
I think his point was that they haven't lost it *yet* since it isn't scheduled to be lost until 2014.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland