Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 06:19 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,628,423 times

Advertisements

CCSF will lose accreditation in 2014 - SFGate

To me, this is a perfect example of how lazy San Francisco voters are. The board of directors of CCSF are elected. In the last elections, the intelligent San Francisco voters all voted to raise the parcel tax (I am not necessarily opposed to that), BUT they also voted back in EVERY incumbent who was up for reelection. The voters literally said - "Oh you lead CCSF to the brink? Here is MORE money to you and as a reward, we will REELECT YOU.

Congratulations SF. We now no longer have a community college. When the need is possibly the greatest.

Thank you for screwing the students, folks. Go back to patting yourself on the back about how progressive you are and playing Candy Crush

Next time we have a local election, maybe we can have even fewer than 120k people vote. And if you vote, make sure you do no research what so ever. That way the cycle can continue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 08:20 PM

46 posts, read 80,149 times
first thought was woah that changes my plan a bit... although I am still undecided If I am going to finish college after all, there is no worthwhile major that interests me that much anymore. just in case, any other good CCs in the area? that really sucks tho, deff a step in the wrong direction. why?

Old 07-03-2013, 08:43 PM

2,123 posts, read 3,287,686 times
Lots of good community colleges in the area - use this website to find those which are close to you (since you are unsure of your major) - Find A Community College

Old 07-03-2013, 08:51 PM

1,374 posts, read 2,423,283 times
from the above article: "City College is expected to appeal the decision."
They will get the necessary accreditation. No worries.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:04 PM

3,981 posts, read 8,953,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinCali View Post
CCSF will lose accreditation in 2014 - SFGate

To me, this is a perfect example of how lazy San Francisco voters are. The board of directors of CCSF are elected. In the last elections, the intelligent San Francisco voters all voted to raise the parcel tax (I am not necessarily opposed to that), BUT they also voted back in EVERY incumbent who was up for reelection. The voters literally said - "Oh you lead CCSF to the brink? Here is MORE money to you and as a reward, we will REELECT YOU.

Congratulations SF. We now no longer have a community college. When the need is possibly the greatest.

Thank you for screwing the students, folks. Go back to patting yourself on the back about how progressive you are and playing Candy Crush

Next time we have a local election, maybe we can have even fewer than 120k people vote. And if you vote, make sure you do no research what so ever. That way the cycle can continue.
OF course...San Francisco voters of today are not at all interested in what happens to locals/natives and, families of the City prior to their own arrival . Why would they? Most are educated in other states, come here to make their money... party, live out their 20's/early 30's and then ultimately leave or rag on families and kids!. They don't care. Only natives or wealthy transplants with children that aren't destined to leave give a cra* on these issues.

I actually attended CCSF. If I still lived in the City or had any say so, I would have certainly voted and made my voice heard. I'm sorry...very sorry, is all I can say.

Good schools = residents that care about the future of their families and community. Perhaps CSM? DVC? I think you'll find a lot of good options. Consider demographics! I wish you well!

Old 07-03-2013, 09:14 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,628,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroFresh View Post
first thought was woah that changes my plan a bit... although I am still undecided If I am going to finish college after all, there is no worthwhile major that interests me that much anymore. just in case, any other good CCs in the area? that really sucks tho, deff a step in the wrong direction. why?
I have heard good things about Cana'da College down in the Valley, but definitely do your own research.

Check out www.baccc.net

It is the web-site for a consortium of bay area community colleges

Old 07-03-2013, 10:33 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,288,846 times
I am actually quite shocked by this outcome. When the SHTF a year or so ago I thought that it would serve as a wake up call. I thought that both the administration and the teaching community would find a way to overcome differences and pull together. However, my spirits darkened and slid downward as I witnessed the severe acrimony on every related discussion thread on the Chron's site. It was clear that "labor" and "management" wanted to fight each other and if something did not change they would fight all the way to the cliff then over it.

Well, they went over it.

Goodbye, idiots.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:57 PM

14,640 posts, read 14,509,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroFresh View Post
Laney College in Oakland and its parent system the Peralta Colleges (located in Oakland, Berkeley & Alameda) have very good instructors and deserving reputation.

Old 07-04-2013, 12:14 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,507,779 times
Hey as long as there are new trendy (and usually bad) restaurants opening and wannabe entrepreneurs are starting their stupid startups then all is good in SF. Education for those who can only afford community college, affordable housing and all these pesky issues are simply not cool enough for SF residents to indulge! They can get rid of the entire education system from the city and convert those buildings to million dollar condos to cater to the only class of people this city cares about and suitable for.

Old 07-04-2013, 02:05 AM

767 posts, read 1,736,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
Hey as long as there are new trendy (and usually bad) restaurants opening and wannabe entrepreneurs are starting their stupid startups then all is good in SF. Education for those who can only afford community college, affordable housing and all these pesky issues are simply not cool enough for SF residents to indulge! They can get rid of the entire education system from the city and convert those buildings to million dollar condos to cater to the only class of people this city cares about and suitable for.
lol

now, my question- why do people go to community college in sf at all? its more expensive to live there, expensive to commute from elsewhere- so why go to community college there at all when there are so many community colleges in the less-expensive suburbs and yet-less-expensive beyond?

*shrug*

way back in my day, one reason people went to community college was because it cost less than the universities. i guess that no longer applies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland