Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 05:55 AM

4 posts, read 5,818 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm moving to SF in early September and am looking for a 1-bedroom that is accessible to the Financial District and Caltrain (for me and my boyfriend). Ideal rent would be <$3000 (ideally mid $2000 would be amazing). Can also do a studio if needed.

I've done some research and feel like the following may work - however, do any of these NOT make sense or make particular sense? I'm not extremely familiar..:
SOMA
Nob Hill
Telegraph Hill
Civic Center
Fin District
Downtown
Hayes Valley
South Beach
Potrero Hill

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2013, 11:01 AM

296 posts, read 624,310 times
I used to live in the Nob Hill area, and it is very convenient to the Fin District - one can walk to work (walking back up the hill can be fun ).. As far as Caltrain, I believe one of the bus lines (30 Stockton?) passes by Caltrain. Check 511.org for bus routes.

Old 07-04-2013, 11:26 AM

102,125 posts, read 107,381,087 times
Top picks would be SOMA, Nob Hill & Telegraph Hill. Fin Dist & Downtown are abandoned at night & get invaded by all kinds of sketchy people. No grocery stores or other amenities, either. Potrero Hill is a bit sketchy, too. Though parts of Nob Hill border on the Tenderloin, and aren't so great, either. Civic Center is full of homeless.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:27 AM

Awesome, thanks so much for the helpful feedback! Will definitely focus on SOMA, Nob Hill and Telegraph Hill.

Old 07-05-2013, 04:50 PM

296 posts, read 624,310 times
Russian Hill should be doable as well.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:17 PM

102,125 posts, read 107,381,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSLGal View Post
Russian Hill should be doable as well.
Definitely Russian Hill. Nice area.

Old 07-09-2013, 04:36 AM

Thanks!

Old 07-09-2013, 07:02 PM

15 posts, read 20,614 times
I second not living in the Financial District or downtown. They are neighborhoods geared primarily to people who work there and do not really function as residential areas. Out of the neighborhoods you list, Potrero might be the most pleasant to live in and is a quick commute to the Financial District and CalTrain.

Old 07-11-2013, 03:36 PM

569 posts, read 777,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcitysf View Post
Awesome, thanks so much for the helpful feedback! Will definitely focus on SOMA, Nob Hill and Telegraph Hill.
One more thought: Be careful with what people call "SOMA". The nicer parts are going to be East of 5th Street. West of that is much dicier.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:12 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,054,023 times
Financial District is what we call downtown. Nobody lives there other than in a very small number of very very expensive condo buildings. "Downtown" is often used as a euphemism for the Tenderloin, which is by and large a notorious dive. See also "Civic Center," "Lower Nob Hill," and "Union Square" which are often used by shaaaady landlords trying to hide the fact that their apartments are in the Tenderloin.

Frankly nowhere in SF is very convenient to Caltrain other than Potrero Hill which is high-priced now (I'd say overpriced considering how quiet and slightly dumpy it is) due to techies wanting Caltrain access at 22nd Street Station, and the eastern end of SOMA which really only has very expensive newer condo buildings.

If you live elsewhere in SF, there's really no easy way to get to Caltrain because it's so far out on the east edge of the city. The 22 bus is a pain in the ass to depend on at rush hour and takes a long time just to get from the Mission to Caltrain, and the Muni N and T are a pain in the ass to deal with too. You can take BART down to Millbrae and transfer to Caltrain but that takes a long time too.

Frankly the most convenient thing would be to live in Millbrae so one person can take BART to downtown SF (30 minute trip) and one person can take Caltrain south. But then you're living in the burbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland