Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 12:25 AM

163 posts, read 249,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by never-more View Post
Your 2nd theory is very confusing. 1) How is it "right"? Are you connecting it with the 1st thing you said?
2)Pilots with a major airline, much less flying a 777, have thousands of hours flying this plane. If the pilot was as describing them, they should have crashed a plane the first time they flew

3)What is your point?
It sounds right because of what I said in point 2. The merit based system of the 20th/21st century in the West is far ahead of 'face', 'appearance' and 'power circles of influence' that runs rampant throughout east asia and many other parts of the world. The fact that the lady dragged her suitcase out of the aircraft is another example of this. Just who the hell would do that?

There are huge differences in culture - thats the point - if you havent worked it out. I wouldnt want to go to hospital over there - that's another point - take it from me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 12:40 AM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRooter View Post
It sounds right because of what I said in point 2. The merit based system of the 20th/21st century in the West is far ahead of 'face', 'appearance' and 'power circles of influence' that runs rampant throughout east asia and many other parts of the world. The fact that the lady dragged her suitcase out of the aircraft is another example of this. Just who the hell would do that?

There are huge differences in culture - thats the point - if you havent worked it out. I wouldnt want to go to hospital over there - that's another point - take it from me.
If a lot of the luggage fell from the bins and was totally in the way of others, I would grab what I could take to clear the aisle. The idea is to not only get off the plane, it's to help the other passengers off the plane, too, and suitcases blocking the aisle will only cause all sorts of problems.

How do you know it was "her" suitcase?

Old 07-13-2013, 12:44 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,982,352 times
Here is something relating to the plane crash. KTVU the Fox affiliate in the Bay Area makes a MAJOR Gaffe. Advance the Youtube video to 43 seconds. The station later apoligized for the error.

'Ho Lee ***': San Francisco TV Station Pranked Into Reporting Fabricated Names Of Asiana Pilots FULL - YouTube

Old 07-13-2013, 12:46 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,982,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
suuuure. way to blame it on the 'intern', NTSB. typical
Either way, you can bet Sum Won Gon after this goof up.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:15 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,043,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funksoulbro View Post
Or in the news anchors mind?

If she had even a scintilla of common sense, she would've halted that story after "Wi Tu Lo" and jumped ahead to the next item. It was painfully obvious these were all fake names.
I work in a newsroom too. I suspect these fake names passed through at least four hands, giving KTVU ample opportunity to spike it before reaching air. An assignment editor or a reporter had been calling the NTSB daily. The producer would have written the copy. A graphic artist made the full screen graphic. After all that the anchor should have read it beforehand to make sure she could pronounce the names.

But I shouldn't cast judgment. We were fooled by the fake name Tess Steckle once.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:26 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,659,817 times
Unfortunately, we live in a society today where there will always be someone who will make bad jokes in a serious situation. This should be expected, and KTVU was the last line of defense. They failed.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:24 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,444,381 times
Former Asiana Pilots Say Manual Flying Secondary to Automation - SFGate

Quote:
As the Asiana Airlines Inc. jet neared Los Angeles International Airport, Captain Vic Hooper told his Korean co-pilot to make a visual approach, meaning he’d manually fly instead of letting automation do the work.

The co-pilot froze, leaving them too high and off course, Hooper said about the incident, which occurred several years ago. Hooper said he had to take over the controls to get the Boeing Co. 777 back on track.

“I don’t need to know this,” Hooper said the co-pilot told him later, explaining why a maneuver that’s second nature to most U.S. airline pilots rattled him. “We just don’t do this.”

Ross Aimer, a retired United Airlines captain who trained crews at Korean Air Lines Co. for Boeing subsidiary Alteon Training in 2008 and 2009, and Kenneth Musser, of Roswell, Georgia, said they also noticed that many Korean pilots struggled with visual approaches. Musser, a former Delta pilot, flew 777s for Asiana for almost four years until 2009.

“You will never hear an Asiana pilot request a visual approach,” said Hooper, who flew for the Korean carrier from 2006 to 2011 after ending his U.S. airline career. “That happens all the time here” in the U.S.
And that's why they crashed.

The Korean airlines effectively decided long ago that it's no longer important for pilots to have manual flying skills that they should stake everyone's life exclusively on the premise that automation will always be there to land them.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:37 PM

3,884 posts, read 4,534,690 times
Default ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
Either way, you can bet Sum Won Gon after this goof up.
Stealing that!

Old 07-16-2013, 03:34 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Former Asiana Pilots Say Manual Flying Secondary to Automation - SFGate

And that's why they crashed.

The Korean airlines effectively decided long ago that it's no longer important for pilots to have manual flying skills that they should stake everyone's life exclusively on the premise that automation will always be there to land them.
That is so shocking to me. And also one of the reasons I worry about the driverless cars. Computers are smart, but we aren't smart enough to program a computer to react to every possible scenario.

Old 07-27-2013, 11:52 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,517,875 times
Default Asiana air crash story

Asiana crash: Report says girl killed by firetruck was put on ground, run over by late-arriving firefighter driving solo - San Jose Mercury News

Events leading to air crash victim being run over - SFGate

Can the fire dept be any more shameless? They should fire her without pension right away instead of offering her counseling and rewarding incompetence. If anything, she should be tried in court for criminal negligence and manslaughter. Very conveniently she was not tested for drugs and alcohol even though SFFD has a track record of drunk driving and getting into accidents. Also, why can't these entitled self-proclaimed heroes bring their lunch to work just like us regular folks instead of wasting their $200k/yr wage in buying lunch or at least have it delivered.

I hope the victims family hires the best law firm on planet and sues the SFFD to bankrupcy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland