Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 08:07 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,136,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
I've been in a minor crash and have done Search and Rescue for Civil Air Patrol. So many more people would be saved if all they did was pay attention to the FA's during the safety briefing. I've talked to crews about this and they tear their hair out trying to get people to be responsible for their own safety. One of the solutions by various airlines has been to try the humor approach. They plan these comments - they want you to enjoy your flight, and they want you to get home in one piece.
I don't doubt that they care about safety and I admit I regretted what that statement implied after posting. I don't agree with their methods, though, and they give me the impression that they would be less competent in a situation like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 08:07 PM

1,374 posts, read 2,435,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
I'm not saying that's the case here, because it sounds like the airport rolled emergency equipment moments before the incident occurred. But, it's one more thing to consider.
No, if you watch the short clip on CNN.com. A passenger from this flight was complaining it took 20 minutes for the ambulance to show up after he jumped off the airplane.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott456 View Post
No, if you watch the short clip on CNN.com. A passenger from this flight was complaining it took 20 minutes for the ambulance to show up after he jumped off the airplane.
The recording of the tower communication seems to say that emergency equipment was dispatched immediately after the plane was cleared to land. Perhaps it is an edited clip, though.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
The recording of the tower communication seems to say that emergency equipment was dispatched immediately after the plane was cleared to land. Perhaps it is an edited clip, though.
I also heard that in the recording of the tower communication. But this recording does not says what point in time this conversation is taking place. The tower was simply saying "emergency crew is on the way" in respond to the pilot's statement "we got problem". It is not clear if this is pre or post crash landing.

Last edited by Scott456; 07-06-2013 at 08:40 PM..

Old 07-06-2013, 08:21 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Unfortunately, Dal, airplanes are now busses in the sky. People get on sit down and go. It's every one else's responsibility to keep them safe. (It's not just in the sky -- I'm a janitor and people tell me about all sorts of things and when I ask if they told management, they look at me like I'm crazy, like it's my fault that door has been broken for five weeks, when all I do is clean the glass.)

I am a horrible flyer, and therefore for my own crazy reasons I only take Southwest. The puddle jumping aspect makes me feel better -- if I had to spend 5 or so hours on a plane.... well -- it just might get ugly for me. Very anxious.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:27 PM

6,904 posts, read 8,275,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
All of the updates have 2 fatalities only so far. That is amazing. Most injuries appear to be minor.

I am waiting for word on my sister, as she was due into SFO and is being re-routed to LA and not the Bay.
Many SFO flights had been diverted to Sacramento Int'l. I was waiting to pick-up my nephew from SoCal and was chatting with a Berkeley family who find out their child's Paris flight was diverted to SAC so they drove up to SAC to pick her up. Apparently, there were 14 fights diverted up here from Paris, Singapore, Copenhagen, Tokyo, and several domestic flights.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:33 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,448,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
According to the thread on this topic in the Aviation forum, injured passengers were sent to hospitals all over the Bay Area. It's a lot more than "under 10" in critical condition.
At the time they were stating the 10 based on what SF General had reported to the news.

I knew there would be more. I was a flight attendant for Continental Airlines who had a fleet of 7 different aircrafts at the time of my employment with them. I was trained on all 7 of them and when I observed the crash from CNN's live stream I knew this was far more serious than what was being reported with respect to injuries. We were trained that landing was the most critical time for errors to occur...vs. for take off.

I feel so badly for everyone on that plane...this type of thing happening to me is my worst fear...and I ride a motorcycle go figure! I think the flight attendant training is what put that fear in me. We learned about every single tragedy and horror story of all the flights in current history that crashed and what caused the crashes.

Anyway my heart goes out to every single soul that was on that plane.

Last edited by TVC15; 07-06-2013 at 09:04 PM..

Old 07-06-2013, 08:49 PM

Quote:
I also heard that in the recording of the tower communication. But this recording does not says what point in time this conversation is taking place. The tower was simply saying "emergency crew is on the way" in respond to the pilot's statement "we got problem". It is not clear if this is pre or post crash landing.
My point is, the tower gives the plane "cleared to land" which would typically take place on long final approach. Then, immediately thereafter, there is talk of rolling emergency equipment. What is not clear is whether or not this recording is edited in any way. The way it was presented on TV seems to suggest it was a single exchange between the tower and the pilot, which would suggest the pilot was aware of a problem.

There is no way to tell at this point.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:22 PM

37 posts, read 91,208 times
Quote:
If the passenger was capable of jumping off the airplane, then he was able to wait the twenty-plus minutes since there were people in more critical condition.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelle_SF View Post
If the passenger was capable of jumping off the airplane, then he was able to wait the twenty-plus minutes since there were people in more critical condition.
Obviously you did not watch the clip on CNN.com, this passenger was talking about the ambulance in general, not specifically for himself.
And Channel 4 has a aviation expert to interpret that recording of tower communication this evening. That communication was after the crash landing. There is nothing indicating the emergency crew was dispatched at the time the tower gave 214 clear to land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland