U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2013, 09:31 AM

68 posts, read 225,701 times

Advertisements

Any opinions from any point of view welcome. Need brainstorming and allpoints of view.
I am currently out of work (but still comfortably living off the savings sonot desperate yet). There is an opportunity in Oakland, that would put ourtotal income at $98,000. (Huge in Utah, but I get the impression that isminimum wage in Alameda County) We have a big family: myself, stay at home mom,7 children. Because my wife stays home, commuting etc. is a non-issue asidefrom fuel and vehicle maintenance expenses. We are a cash only family and willhave no bills aside from mortgage/rent related expenses.
We currently live in Utah County UT which has a very visible very homogenous predominantculture which we are a part of and crime is almost nonexistent. I am a retiredpoliceman from a major metropolitan area and worked lousy neighborhoods most ofmy career so I’m used to getting around anywhere. My wife and kids (re-married atrophy wife late in life) know nothing but their little Utah County Leave it toBeaver Lifestyle. I know there has to be more to Oakland than the crime ridden ghettoportrayal it gets in the media but I also know it is not little ole Mormontownlike out here.
Will probably have about $150,000 to $200,000 to put down on a home if we buybut would likely rent until we see if Alameda County is a fit.
Root question, am I as insane to even be considering this as I think I am?
The only reason I am is because the job itself would be killer fun. I haveno desire to relocate and am not desperate for work, this is just anopportunity that will not come around often from a professional point of viewand will never present itself here in Utah.
Any input at all welcome.

Last edited by panacasummit; 07-10-2013 at 09:39 AM.. Reason: fix HTML
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 01:51 PM

91,085 posts, read 87,833,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by panacasummit View Post
[font=Times New Roman]
[font=Times New Roman]Root question, am I as insane to even be considering this as I think I am?
With 7 kids on the one income you gave? Yes. You can't afford to rent on that income, let alone buy.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:01 PM

5,968 posts, read 7,333,426 times
Don't do it.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:15 PM

227 posts, read 505,522 times
What type of home would seven children be able to live in? I suppose if your kids are used to sharing rooms (like three deep), then a four or five bedroom home out in the suburbs might suffice. I'm assuming you're homeschooling your kids though. If not, I'd be hard pressed to come to Bay Area, because even if you got into a great school district (so private school wasn't a factor), the fundraisers, and keeping up with other families' activities would be daunting on that income.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:21 PM

91,085 posts, read 87,833,916 times
hm... it's true that in someplace like Livermore, you might be able to rent a house big enough for your kids, and decent schools. But you'd have a commute to Oakland, definitely do-able on BART, but still--a commute, and it would involve transferring train lines, too, if I'm not mistaken, so it wouldn't be quick and easy. And all the back-to-school expenses for all those kids, clothes (unless the SAHM sews their clothes), activities, as someone pointed out--not doable.

Living in Oakland or Berkeley with all those kids on that income? Impossible. Not even Fremont or Albany.

btw, where would health insurance for your wife come from? The kids could get on a federal program, but what about your wife?

Old 07-10-2013, 06:29 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,390,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by panacasummit View Post
Any opinions from any point of view welcome. Need brainstorming and allpoints of view.
I am currently out of work (but still comfortably living off the savings sonot desperate yet). There is an opportunity in Oakland, that would put ourtotal income at $98,000. (Huge in Utah, but I get the impression that isminimum wage in Alameda County) We have a big family: myself, stay at home mom,7 children. Because my wife stays home, commuting etc. is a non-issue asidefrom fuel and vehicle maintenance expenses. We are a cash only family and willhave no bills aside from mortgage/rent related expenses.
We currently live in Utah County UT which has a very visible very homogenous predominantculture which we are a part of and crime is almost nonexistent. I am a retiredpoliceman from a major metropolitan area and worked lousy neighborhoods most ofmy career so I’m used to getting around anywhere. My wife and kids (re-married atrophy wife late in life) know nothing but their little Utah County Leave it toBeaver Lifestyle. I know there has to be more to Oakland than the crime ridden ghettoportrayal it gets in the media but I also know it is not little ole Mormontownlike out here.
Will probably have about $150,000 to $200,000 to put down on a home if we buybut would likely rent until we see if Alameda County is a fit.
Root question, am I as insane to even be considering this as I think I am?
The only reason I am is because the job itself would be killer fun. I haveno desire to relocate and am not desperate for work, this is just anopportunity that will not come around often from a professional point of viewand will never present itself here in Utah.
Any input at all welcome.
Definitely not here with seven kids on that income....I have four myself (which is a lot by Bay Area standards)...we make quite a bit more. Don't chance it! Too much culture shock and cost of living issues! Sounds like you have it really good already!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland