Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 02:00 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,868,827 times

Advertisements

NoMoreSnowForMe... you are gravely mistaken. If you have not been to San Antonio or further down south it may very well be the reason why. But even still go to Taqueria Vallarta and they have barbacoa there. But it is made out of goat.

You are probably also not of Hispanic origin so that is also a reason of why you may never have heard of it. Although I have met plenty Hispanics who've never tried barbacoa, but they have heard of it.

And as mayorhaggar says, Chipotle certainly does have barbacoa. All it basically is, is slow cooked roast beef. The barbacoa from South Texas is softer and has a very distinct flavor. It is my favorite thing in the whole world... and apparently my boss is also a big fan of it too. We're gonna try it out and see how it all works. Making some breakfast tacos with blue bottle coffee.. mmmmm mmmm mmm! It's also inexpensive. Tacos are probably going to be about $3. These tacos are way better than breakfast burritos on so many levels. Trust me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 08:11 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,446,309 times
Migol do you know how to make Tex Mex? Please make me some!!!!

Old 07-15-2013, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Migol do you know how to make Tex Mex? Please make me some!!!!
Hah! Not really lol.... I got a few things that I learned from my momma though and a few recipes that she will give me once I have the time to work on this project. I've just been too busy lately working two jobs. I really miss homemade flower tortillas... the fluffy warm ones that you warm over the skillet and sometimes they come out crispy and brown. I really wanna give this breakfast tacos a shot and see if it takes off.

Its hard to find papas con chorizo around here. Its something that I'm going for.

http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/...X_1655b590.jpg
Or something like this...
http://tacotopia.net/wp-content/uplo...chos-Tacos.jpg

Old 07-16-2013, 10:27 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,997,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
Hello my good people of San Francisco. I work at a little deli and the owner is having a bit of tough luck getting more customers. In our conversations we've talked about different foods from back home. He's from Paris. I'm from Texas. I've always commented how I miss South Texas Barbacoa and now since he's trying to get more business he's thought of giving some barbacoa a try.

He's asked me to make it and we'll test it out. Now the thing is South Texas Barbacoa is made with beef (cow's head) and the barbacoa made here in California is made from goat (?). So my question now is if any of you know of a butcher, or a carniceria where I can buy this meat specifically. I have asked around in the Mission in certain carnicerias and I've had zero luck since this is quite unpopular here, or perhaps I'm just not looking hard enough. I'd figure the bay area is big enough for me to find something like this.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

This is the meat in question here...

Texas Cookin' at Home: Barbacoa

Oh yeah... sorry vegetarians.
I am a So Texas native and I do miss a tasty, tender barbacoa taco at times, but this is California. We should leave those unhealthy foods back home and eat healthier foods.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:28 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,987,173 times
Not sure if you're familiar with Monument Blvd in Concord but there are plenty of places that serve Mexican breakfasts like the ones you're describing. El Molino is a tortilleria and makes tortillas (all kinds) fresh every day, all day (still warm when you buy them!). There are also plenty of markets/butchers (Los Rancheros for example) along the street as well...you may want to take a trip to see if there's anyone that can help you find what you need for your restaurant.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:29 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,997,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
NoMoreSnowForMe... you are gravely mistaken. If you have not been to San Antonio or further down south it may very well be the reason why. But even still go to Taqueria Vallarta and they have barbacoa there. But it is made out of goat.

You are probably also not of Hispanic origin so that is also a reason of why you may never have heard of it. Although I have met plenty Hispanics who've never tried barbacoa, but they have heard of it.

And as mayorhaggar says, Chipotle certainly does have barbacoa. All it basically is, is slow cooked roast beef. The barbacoa from South Texas is softer and has a very distinct flavor. It is my favorite thing in the whole world... and apparently my boss is also a big fan of it too. We're gonna try it out and see how it all works. Making some breakfast tacos with blue bottle coffee.. mmmmm mmmm mmm! It's also inexpensive. Tacos are probably going to be about $3. These tacos are way better than breakfast burritos on so many levels. Trust me.
$3 barbacoa tacos?!!!! Are you crazy?

Old 07-16-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
$3 barbacoa tacos?!!!! Are you crazy?
Texas prices homie... a pound of barbacoa costs you no more than $15. Obviously $4 will probably be more ideal though. All made from scratch... homemade tortillas. You don't find that here in the City, but from others are saying perhaps in other parts of the Bay. I have to go rent myself a car and check those places out.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I am a So Texas native and I do miss a tasty, tender barbacoa taco at times, but this is California. We should leave those unhealthy foods back home and eat healthier foods.
As if there aren't unhealthy foods here. There is just as much plenty food here as anywhere else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
Not sure if you're familiar with Monument Blvd in Concord but there are plenty of places that serve Mexican breakfasts like the ones you're describing. El Molino is a tortilleria and makes tortillas (all kinds) fresh every day, all day (still warm when you buy them!). There are also plenty of markets/butchers (Los Rancheros for example) along the street as well...you may want to take a trip to see if there's anyone that can help you find what you need for your restaurant.
Thank you! I will check those places out.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:46 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,807,332 times
Barbacoa is cow cheeks and there's loads and loads of taquerias and taco food trucks here in Houston selling them. Not the healthiest thing on the menu though.

Old 07-16-2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
Barbacoa is cow cheeks and there's loads and loads of taquerias and taco food trucks here in Houston selling them. Not the healthiest thing on the menu though.
But having at least one place here in San Francisco would be nice. I want to serve it as a specialty rather than a place where you'll get it at a taqueria. We'll take time in preparing it.

We get a lot of pedestrian folks on their way to work nearby where there are plenty of offices, hospitals or just people on their way to catch the bus to work. They always ask for any breakfast options and the only thing we serve are an egg sandwich. They're okay and it costs $4. I'm thinking of having sort of a little setup where we just have the tacos already prepared and people will just come and grab them as they go.

I want to have barbacoa as an option, as well as vegetarian options like fried avocado, egg and cheese or soyrizo (vegetarian chorizo) egg and cheese, or soyrizo, potato and cheese. I want to make them all with homemade flour tortillas as well as our own salsa. I showed my boss the photos on here and he seemed pretty excited... so we shall see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland