Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 11:57 PM

140 posts, read 239,485 times

Advertisements

Fremont, I agree borders on higher crime areas (and certainly parts of Fremont are blighted). Plus no downtown (though one has been planned for years). My attraction to Fremont was proximity to Santa Clara County. I agree it's stupid to commute almost an hour each way to work, from a neighborhood you don't really care for.

Foster City, though, would be a bit more appealing, given it's uniformly nice and safe - and close to many other nice towns. Plus reasonable drive to Palo Alto etc on weekends. I know Redwood City has some sketchy areas but somehow I feel generally more comfortable throughout the Peninsula (vs East Bay). I admit it's not grounded in reason. Just that I lived for a decade in and around SJ and have never lived in the East Bay (just occasional visits to Berkeley).

Anyone try the Foster City to Emeryville commute?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 12:06 AM

By the way, this spotcrime site is great!

Old 07-19-2013, 01:32 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorvitz View Post
Thank you everyone! This is why I love city-data!

I thought about Dublin, Mill Valley (or anywhere else close in Marin), as both have walkable, nice (set away) downtowns. Seems from athleticsfan's comment, Dublin is no longer viable.

---Has anyone ever done the Mill Valley (or nearby) to Emeryville commute?

Alameda is very nice but (and I know this is irrational) I want to be further from grittier areas - eg, to give me more options to do things in nearby towns). That's what I like about the South Bay, Penninsula.

--I assume Fremont or Foster City (either driving or bus) commute to Emeryville would be 1 hr+?

Otherwise I'll focus on WC, take BART to Emery-go-round, and try to find a nice apartment walking distance to WC BART (maybe would give me a 15-20min walk to the downtown area but that's ok). It seems that's easier said than done, according to other threads, which say that most of the nice (BART-adjacent) apartments are in Pleasant Hill.

Thanks again,

Todd
Mill Valley's a great place to live, but I wouldn't want to commute from there to Emeryville. Too long a commute, and would involve 2 bridges.

Have you considered neighborhoods in the Berkeley hills? North Berkeley is nice, and walkable. Great views in the hills, walkable to grocery and everything else if you locate a few blocks down from the hills. Safe. Close to either El Cerrito BART or N. Berkeley BART. The Claremont area of Berkeley is also nice, and walkable to grocery depending on your location, though I'm not aware of any condo options there. Rockridge is the closest BART station.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:46 AM

4,315 posts, read 6,277,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Mill Valley's a great place to live, but I wouldn't want to commute from there to Emeryville. Too long a commute, and would involve 2 bridges.
Would think its quicker just to go across the Richmond - San Rafael bridge than going through the city on the GG/Bay Bridges.

Old 07-19-2013, 12:38 PM

Thank you both. Seems either way, it will be 45-1hr commute from Marin. Better stick with East Bay.

Still holding out hope someone will tell me Foster City or Fremont is doable!

Old 07-19-2013, 01:14 PM

Fremont is definitely doable. It's not the most scenic part of the Bay, but if you don't mind cookie-cutter houses/neighborhoods, and don't mind going outside the community for entertainment/nightlife, it's definitely do-able. You could even take BART to Berkeley, then transfer to a local bus to Emeryville. Or drive. Either one is doable.

Old 07-19-2013, 01:32 PM

4,315 posts, read 6,277,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorvitz View Post
Thank you both. Seems either way, it will be 45-1hr commute from Marin. Better stick with East Bay.

Still holding out hope someone will tell me Foster City or Fremont is doable!
I honestly don't understand why someone would want to live in Fremont, if their job is up in Emeryville. Fremont is very bland and cookie cutter. Its more of a place to live if you work in the Silicon Valley and can't afford San Jose or one of the other cities.

If you think Walnut Creek or Marin are too far, maybe look at Orinda or Moraga? Those are both very beautiful towns, just across the tunnel from Oakland.

Old 07-19-2013, 01:32 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Play around with the trip planner/traffic estimates to E-ville from Fremont or Foster City. But it is around 45 minutes no traffic from either place. Well maybe only 35 no traffic from Foster City. It can be a little congested on 880 in the AM, and the last 3 miles to E-ville will definitely be congested from any direction.

If taking BART, you'll want to use the Macarthur station as there is a free E-ville shuttle that will drop you in front of your office.

Old 07-19-2013, 04:56 PM

Fremont is a far cry from Marin, Walnut Creek, or Palo Alto in atmosphere. Are you sure you have your priorities straight?

Old 07-20-2013, 12:55 AM

I'm conflicted. Ideally I'd like to live in the Valley (impossible). My next thought was to live "adjacent" to the Valley (e.g., Peninsula near 92 or in Fremont). This would mean living in a characterless, sprawling town--though fairly safe. I could then easily drive to SJ/Palo Alto on weekends. Of course I'd have no attachment whatsoever to my 'hood. And a crappy commute to boot.

The other smarter route is to embrace where I work (East Bay) and live somewhere where I'll be content (Walnut Creek)--safe, walkable, hot summers, and leafy. I don't feel for it (nor feel as comfortable there) as I do the South Bay. But could change over time with the right attitude. Treking an hour to Santana Row every weekend probably won't help!!! :-)

I want to explore ALL my options here-thus all the commute questions-- to wrap my head around this and make a smarter decision. I've admittedly spent very little time in the East Bay--just a few trips to Rockridge & downtown Berkeley when I was younger and maybe once or twice to WC/Concord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland