Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 09:59 AM

2,518 posts, read 4,010,977 times

Advertisements

That's nice, but when someone calls in because they're hiding in the closet and three men are ransacking their entire home, it's pretty difficult to get online and fill out a form. People like that need immediate assistance and in Oakland, that's not a given with 911, or any emergency call.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:15 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Some calls receive no physical response and the caller has the option to go online or OPD will send out a form for the caller to fill out and return.

In the middle of the night... someone unloaded a pick-up full of trash in front of a property I manage... the residents had arranged for Bulky Pickup with Waste Management... everything over 3 yards is billed as excess.

I took pictures and called the police and was told to go online and fill out a report...

Waste Management came, removed all the trash, even though I had left a sign saying it was illegal dumped and reported to OPD

About a month later, I get a bill for several hundred dollars for excess trash... thankfully, I had my police report and the charge was dropped...

We didn't put out the trash and it wasn't on the property I managed... it was on the street...
Interesting, thank you for telling about your actual experience with OPD rather than making up scenarios you've never actually dealt with like some suburbanites on this forum.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:23 AM

Yeah I agree, it's always good to talk about real life experiences instead of made up stuff.

Oakland woman talks about harrowing attack, slow 911 response | www.ktvu.com

Quote:
An Oakland woman who was recently robbed and pistol whipped in her own garage talked about the brutal crime Wednesday and criticized what some have called a slow response from police and paramedics.

"What happened to me could happen to anyone," said the woman. "It was in the middle of the day. It was in broad daylight."

Despite calls to 911, the woman said it took police 20 to 30 minutes to arrive. Even though firefighters were nearby, policy kept them from coming to her aid any sooner.

"Two men walked down the driveway and into the garage and threatened me with a gun and began beating me," the victim remembered. "It was a horrific thing. My son, at a very young and tender age, witnessed the entire thing."

She said it was neighbors who came to her aid.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:25 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanilee View Post
Wait a sec, so are you saying that 911 is too slow? That if it's an emergency you should not call 911? If so they need to update all their messaging about what 911 is for.
No matter where you are, cell phones get routed in different ways, so access to your local emergency system is hampered.

Here in Oakland, San Leandro and Alameda -- very probably everywhere, but I haven't checked -- have seven digit emergency numbers that route you into their own 911 system. That is what you should plug into your phone and give it a speed dial number.

The time wasted dialing 911 on your cell, getting routed to the CHP emergency line, and then routed again (I've done this -- they literally dial up your local 911 to patch you through) connected to your local 911 might not be much, but when seconds count, seconds count....

Also keep in mind -- cells phones (as far as I know) aren't hooked up to the 911 tracking system, so when you use a cell phone, dispatch has no idea where you are. I still have a landline because I panic and I've been unable to tell them where I live. I can't imagine after 25 years I can't come up with my address, but as I've said -- I've called 911 in a panic twice and both times I couldn't remember my addresses. Them knowing has been wonderful. The other times I've called 911 I haven't been in a panic and could answer their questions.

The OPD cell phone emergency number is 510-777-3211

Public Safety ~ City of Oakland, California

Old 02-28-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
Yeah I agree, it's always good to talk about real life experiences instead of made up stuff.

Oakland woman talks about harrowing attack, slow 911 response | www.ktvu.com
It's even better when you can actually talk about your own experiences rather than rely on news articles for 100% of your posts about a city

Old 02-28-2013, 10:34 AM

While I agree that all emergency systems are linked in various ways, I think response times are a clear indicator of whether emergency services are adequate or not.

When you're getting pistol whipped in your own home, and getting robbed under threat of death, it would seem to me that the police would consider that a priority. A 30 minute response clearly shows Oakland's emergency services are completely inadequate.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
It's even better when you can actually talk about your own experiences rather than rely on news articles for 100% of your posts about a city
Yeah, it probably is "better" in certain circumstances like someone dumping garbage in your yard, but I think you would find it hard for homicide victims to come onto City-data to post about their experiences in Oakland. Therefore, news articles do have their use.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
news articles do have their use.
Clearly, what would you do without them given that you don't actually live in Oakland and do not speak from any sort of actual experience?

Old 02-28-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Clearly, what would you do without them given that you don't actually live in Oakland and do not speak from any sort of actual experience?
What are you talking about? I've actually been jumped in West Oakland by thugs.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
What are you talking about? I've actually been jumped in West Oakland by thugs.
Sure.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland