Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2013, 09:35 PM

10 posts, read 11,365 times

Advertisements

It's been a while since I last posted here, I was in the process of deciding whether or not I would be moving out and where I'd consider living. I wanted to say thank you to those of you who provided valuable insight for reasons as to why living in the city may be a good/bad idea. If you'd like context, feel free to look at my initial thread - warning it's a bit of a kerfuffle.

I managed to find a wonderful group of people to share an [affordable] apartment with in the Mission and I couldn't be more excited.

I'm actually really excited about taking in the city's culture and making it my new home. I had a few questions though, what's the best way of really getting acclimated with the city and really making it feel like home? Besides the fact that there are a lot of taquerias and hipsters what other useful information is there to know about living in the Mission? And how's the overall area around SF General?

If you have any suggestions for home goods within the Mission or surrounding neighborhoods they would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 09:56 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,298,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich blackman View Post

If you have any suggestions for home goods within the Mission or surrounding neighborhoods they would be much appreciated.
Take the Bart train to San Bruno and shop at Tanforan Mall and Target. Or maybe the Big Lots at 29th & Mission.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:44 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
You'll have roommates, so they should be able to answer your questions about where to shop, and where to hang out.

The Mission is a higher-crime area, just take precautions.

You're the lawyer who's doing writing, or something, on a consultancy/temp basis for a tech company, aren't you? I'm really curious to see how your career turns out. If you manage to make the leap to something permanent, or even a law firm.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:02 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,076,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich blackman View Post
And how's the overall area around SF General?
It's kinda dumpy. Generally. Well, it's not as bad as right on Mission Street or areas further north.

These days there's actually some decent stuff east of Mission on and around 24th Street, and it's not as sketchy as it used to be. There's also some decent bars east of Mission in the middle of nowhere, like the Rite Spot. Hopefully that place is still open.

Best way to get to know the nice part of the Mission is to go west of Mission and hang out on Valencia, Guerrero, and west of Mission on 18th and 16th Streets. Dolores Park is always nice.

IMO if you wanna really experience the Mission, go to the Balompie Cafe which is a Salvadorean restaurant on Capp by 18th, I used to live right by there. Really good food and nice people there. Definitely part of the heart of the Mish.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:15 PM

10 posts, read 11,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You'll have roommates, so they should be able to answer your questions about where to shop, and where to hang out.

The Mission is a higher-crime area, just take precautions.

You're the lawyer who's doing writing, or something, on a consultancy/temp basis for a tech company, aren't you? I'm really curious to see how your career turns out. If you manage to make the leap to something permanent, or even a law firm.
My roommates are either transplants or from the peninsula area so they might be of minimal help.

I'll be working for a tech company as part of a 'fellowship' for a bit, most people who finish the program stay with the company or move on to a competitor, very few make the jump to startups. But thanks! I'm confident things will work out in the long run .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland