Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2007, 06:25 PM

227 posts, read 1,357,004 times

Advertisements

What is life like in Santa Rosa??

-How are the schools?
-How is the crime?
-How is the economy?
-How is the diversity?

It looks like a really nice place. Except when i search youtube, a bunch of illegal immigrant marches show up. Does Santa Rosa have a problem with illegals? Are there a lot of illegals there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 08:53 PM

875 posts, read 1,092,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvanripe10 View Post

-How are the schools?
-How is the crime?
-How is the economy?
-How is the diversity?

It looks like a really nice place. Except when i search youtube, a bunch of illegal immigrant marches show up. Does Santa Rosa have a problem with illegals? Are there a lot of illegals there?
Yes there are a lot of illegals in Santa Rosa. I moved "from" Santa Rosa in 2003.

I had nothing but trouble with the schools there when my sons attended. The year after my boys graduated, they were supposed to "finally" impliment a program making sure students had actually learned something before they were automatically graduated, which they had done in the past. I don't know how that worked out. I know they sure let both of my sons down.

Shopping as far as clothing isn't very diverse. I'm not sure what the economy is like now, it was okay when I lived there.

When we sold our house in 2004, it was pretty much at the end of the big Real Estate surge. Property skyrocketed mostly due to people moving in from the bay area - which was good for us.

I love Sonoma County. The area is beautiful, it's just turned into yuppieville to the max.

There is also a fair amount of gang activity.

Old 11-22-2007, 08:01 AM

188 posts, read 989,063 times
Yes. LOTS of illegals... fair amount of gangs and crime the comes along with it. I've heard that the schools are pretty bad also.

Old 11-23-2007, 07:02 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,449,437 times
On the whole, I can't recommend Santa Rosa as a place to live. To elaborate on the schools (and I confess my wife and I don't have kids--yet), I've heard good things about Santa Rosa Christian School and Rincon Valley Christian School. Stuart School near downtown seems good too. None of the public middle schools and high schools give me a good impression. Montgomery High School has had newsworthy gang activity in the past.

Santa Rosa's real estate prices are coming down quite a bit and will probably continue to do so for awhile. It is still expensive, and the main streets are always choked with traffic and stoplights that have a maddening tendency to turn red at the worst times. When your light turns green, the next traffic light 300 feet away immediately turns yellow. There are never any flashing yellow lights even at 3 am. If you're trying to make a left turn onto Brookwood Avenue from Second Street, the light will not change until another car approaches the intersection. Meanwhile, our gas prices are in the $3.35 per gallon and higher range. On the brighter side, the Highway 101 construction project through the middle of Santa Rosa is 70 percent completed. We really need a second north-south freeway that skirts the west side of town but it will never happen.

Economy is OK except for the serious real estate slump. The problem with illegals will continue to worsen. Right now, gang activity is becoming a major problem in Petaluma, 15 miles to the south. In Santa Rosa, you want to avoid the Apple Valley area around West Steele Lane and Apple Valley Lane and Apache Street. I would say the best part of Santa Rosa is north of Highway 12 and west of Stony Point Rd. and Marlow Road for the money. There are big homes off Fountaingrove Parkway with hilltop views if you can afford them!

My last gripe about this area, and then I'll be quiet: If you're an allergy suffer, late April through the end of June are hellish with the off-the-charts grass pollen counts.

I've lived here 21 years and my wife and I want to move back to Missouri. Harsher weather, yes, but it's so much more affordable there, and it just seems like a far better place to settle down and raise a family.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:12 AM

5 posts, read 30,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvanripe10 View Post

-How are the schools?
-How is the crime?
-How is the economy?
-How is the diversity?

Comment above about which schools are good, is correct.
There is increasing crime but not as bad as other bay area cities. Petaluma is much worse in my opinion. The economy suffers from the housing prices, completely unaffordable. It is very diverse in recreation with the ocean, lakes, and Sierras so close, many ethnic cultures and especially diverse restaurants. People with allergies will suffer greatly, and I don't think of it as yuppie-ville. There are many older retirement age people and many young people. There are illegal immigrants however no more than anywhere else in California. it is an agricultural and hi-tech community with horrendous traffic problems. But the weather is a plus and it's what has kept me here for 27 years.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:31 PM

170 posts, read 982,950 times
What is the average home price in Santa Rosa? Does the economy make up for it?

Old 01-30-2008, 11:30 AM

10 posts, read 13,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfingiskewl View Post
What is the average home price in Santa Rosa? Does the economy make up for it?
The search feature is your friend.

Santa Rosa, California (CA) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

Old 01-31-2008, 03:15 PM

114 posts, read 818,799 times
I've lived in Napa and Sonoma Counties all my life (33 yrs) and currently live in Santa Rosa. I am moving to St. Louis in June because I just can't live here anymore. While I love the food, scenery, things to do, proximity to skiing, ocean, SF, diversity, etc., its not worth it. Depending on your career field, its unlikely your income will cover a new home and allow you to live comfortably.

I am not pleased with the schools either. I compared the SR schools to STL schools and even though people complain about the latter, they are FAR better in terms of funding, student-teacher ratio, extras like counselors/music/art. Comparing the curriculum of my girls' grades (3rd and 5th) they will be far behind when we move (and they are at the top of their respective classes in a 'good' district!).

As for the crime, yes, its a big city and very diverse. My biggest gripe is the graffiti (and home owners are REQUIRED to pay for graffiti clean up here or face huge fines). That being said, I disagree that its the 'illegals' as the core problem. The city has few jobs and wages are low. But its not directly related to immigrants. Case in point: migrant workers have created a union that advocates NOT undermining the prevailing wage. I love the diversity but it seems that the long-time residents don't and its showing. There is a lot of racism here, both covert and overt. Don't know which is worse. I fully support the marches and love to see them take their political involvement to a level few of us do anymore. As a white woman, I've never had a problem with the new arrivals. Its the punk teenagers that scare me and I've seen both brown and white kids equally culpable for bad things. What you'll find with the immigrant issue is what you'll find in any economic downturn: trying to find a scapegoat, ie: Nazi Germany and the Jews. Personally, I love that my kids are in school with kids from other countries and most parents I've met really try hard to learn the language and get involved. Be warned that some posters will adamantly disagree with me but keep an open mind and don't let this point hang you up.

Another issue is the traffic. Its impossible to get anywhere on time and we have perpetual highway/road construction. A commute to Marin (where most jobs are) can take over an hour on a good day. I won't mention the Cotati Grade or the Corn Maze off 101...total hell from Sept. to Nov. Gas is expensive, food is expensive (but Trader's has eased the pain!)

I'm not sad to leave at all. I will always come back to visit and I will miss the weather but that's not a good enough reason to remain here. You should also consider that jumbo loans are very hard to secure, even with good credit unless you have 20% to put down. But right now, even with the downturn, you will be hard pressed to find a home for under $400k. I think I found a $350k condo but it needed some fixing.

All this being said, if you and your partner have secure, high-paying jobs in the immediate area and a good savings, then you will be happy here. There are some good private and Catholic schools but they are around $10-20k/year. I wouldn't send my kids to a public middle or high school here.

Are you set on moving to Northern CA or do you have other areas that interest you?

B

Old 09-24-2008, 03:10 AM

3 posts, read 12,456 times
lol. drugs, gangs and graffiti are increasing rapidly. the schools blow and gave me hell all through high school. ridgway cont. high school is he only school that made a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland