Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 08:51 PM

6,400 posts, read 8,229,157 times

Advertisements

I think this is a great idea, but given the ineptitude of the police and city government, they will somehow manage to make things worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 09:02 PM

21,642 posts, read 24,775,047 times
Has Oakland even figured out how to make the radio work yet? It does seem a bit ambitious.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:41 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,703,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Has Oakland even figured out how to make the radio work yet? It does seem a bit ambitious.
I do agree, it would be better to fix the police radios in the downtown buildings.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:02 PM

6,793 posts, read 8,989,886 times
For all those who say there is no privacy in public... would it be OK if I follow you around and write down the text of cell phone conversations, look over your shoulder if you sit outside at a coffee shop while you type on your laptop, watch as you use your ATM etc? After all, you're in public and there is no privacy, right? Right?

Old 07-31-2013, 01:12 AM

3 posts, read 2,689 times
sounds like something out of george orwell's 1984. bad idea

Old 07-31-2013, 01:18 AM

14,848 posts, read 21,387,903 times
New age technology, welcome to 2013.
I like this idea.
There are arguments giving credit to city wide survalince cameras for the declining crime rate of NYC.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:32 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,752,537 times
How about...a change in mayors?

Unless Oakland can somehow elect a mayor worse than Jean Quan, this alone will save millions of dollars by not requiring some citywide surveillance system. In fact, once Quan is gone, I hope the new mayor actually will not create strife with the police and take great steps to improve their morale.

I don't even live in Oakland and I can't stand Quan. Now, Chuck Reed of San Jose is the toughest and most "balanced" mayor in the Bay Area, even if he has absolutely no personality. Ed Lee is very intelligent and a good mayor, but San Francisco is also anymore an affluent white and Asian city that doesn't have such serious cultural, demographic and economic issues to address. If mayors could sign contracts like police chiefs and coaches, I'd say that Oakland could recruit Chuck Reed.

Old 07-31-2013, 02:09 AM

179 posts, read 410,908 times
If it deters crime a little. And is used where it can do some actual good. (And I am not talking the hills or other well to do areas of town.) I would be in support of it. As long as it is used fairly and respects peoples rights. But frankly. I think it might be a good idea to first make sure the radios work in the police cars. And there are of course police officers available to respond. Given how well shot spotter worked to suppress illegal fire works on the forth... (Which was a real joke. Sounded like I was in the middle of London during the height of the German bombing raids in WW-2... Drove me crazy! I pretty much spent the entire holiday sleeping with a fire extinguisher! Worrying if my apartment was going to go up in smoke.) Frankly I think emphises needs to be put on better coordination between the different depts of city services. And mastering the use of the equipment they already have in hand. Before they toss another expensive gadget into the mix...

Old 07-31-2013, 10:21 AM

18,962 posts, read 32,433,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
For all those who say there is no privacy in public... would it be OK if I follow you around and write down the text of cell phone conversations, look over your shoulder if you sit outside at a coffee shop while you type on your laptop, watch as you use your ATM etc? After all, you're in public and there is no privacy, right? Right?
That's stalking. You're focused on a specific person, not a public place.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:48 AM

68 posts, read 116,345 times
If it's been proven to work in the past for other cities, I am definitely all for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland