Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 02:37 PM

7 posts, read 10,183 times

Advertisements

Has anyone done it? Do you have any tips?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 04:21 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayLag View Post
Has anyone done it? Do you have any tips?
I've driven the opposite direction: from Seattle to Bay Area. It took 14 hours. It depends on if you're planning to do it all in one day, or with stops. It could be quite scenic if you take your time about it.

Old 08-04-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I've driven the opposite direction: from Seattle to Bay Area. It took 14 hours. It depends on if you're planning to do it all in one day, or with stops. It could be quite scenic if you take your time about it.
I want to do it all in one day, one very long day I assume. Stops will be kept to a minimum (bathroom stops/2-3 meals) because I don't have a lot of time to make the trip. What is the traffic like? My thinking is that once we hit 505 the traffic will be minimal.

Old 08-04-2013, 04:36 PM

Now that I think about it, we are going to pass through Portland and I may want to stop there for a few hours on the way back.

Old 08-04-2013, 06:56 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
I want to do it all in one day, one very long day I assume. Stops will be kept to a minimum (bathroom stops/2-3 meals) because I don't have a lot of time to make the trip. What is the traffic like? My thinking is that once we hit 505 the traffic will be minimal.
I did it a long time ago. I don't recall traffic being a problem at all. Once you get out of the "inner" Bay Area, you should be free and clear. You can time your trip so that you don't hit Portand during rush hour. When I drive long-distance, I take food with me, so I can have one meal in the car while I'm driving, and don't have to stop. Let us know how long it takes. My guess, to Tacoma, is about 13 hours.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:51 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,067,970 times
I have probably done the trip over 100 times, but adding an hour to Seattle and east a bit. From Tacoma 13 hours if you don't stop except for gas. Depending on the timing you will have the usual traffic in the bay area, then again around Portland, and finally from Olympia to Tacoma. In winter the passes through the
Siskiyous can get nasty and cause long delays in snow, but this time of year it's a breeze unless you run into a forest fire near I5 or road construction. Normally we try to split it in half with kids along, stopping in Roseburg OR for the night, but have driven straight through a lot by myself. If you do get tired there are plenty of rest areas, in OR and WA most have free coffee but it tastes horrible.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:23 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,388,424 times
The only tip would be, do not try to drive through Portland during the PM rush hour. You'll thank me.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:02 PM

578 posts, read 1,294,320 times
Quote:
My first NorCal to Seattle trip was at 17. <-- only way to get up there with not a lot of $$ for plane tickets (LOL)

If you're really insistent on doing the whole stretch at once, don't keep stops to a minimum. I'm a long-distance driver and still need to get out of the car every few hours for a leg stretch, so it doesn't hurt towards the end of the trip.

The drive up 5 is super rural, with select towns on the way up. Very pretty, but very boring. Bring something to keep you entertained ... radio show, SOMETHING. Even with another person in the car it gets old pretty quick.

Here are the towns I would stop at: Redding, CA; Grants Pass, OR; Portland, OR

It gives you a break and you don't spend too much time. I personally like the Panda Express in Redding.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:29 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,049,484 times
OP, are you the only one driving or do you have someone to help you. You will certainly get tired. I see your comment about wanting to stop in Portland. I'd recommend stopping in Portland for the night, then continuing on the next morning.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:25 AM

29,094 posts, read 25,994,583 times
Harrier has traveled from L.A. to Tacoma by car several times - and even starting from SF is a long haul.

From southern California, Harrier has usually stopped somewhere between Sacramento and Grants Pass.

For your trip, you might consider a stop somewhere between Eugene and Longview.

It is doable in a day, but it will be a long day.

Take your time if you can and make some stops to see the small towns and magnificent natural scenery along the way.

Steve Miller goes from Tacoma to Northern California, 1:18-1:23 - with a stop in L.A.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHr50SiLTXs

Last edited by Harrier; 08-08-2013 at 12:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland