Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 08:13 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
I actually work in SF, but I don't want to live there. My partner and I could afford to rent a semi-decent place in the the city, but we never once considered it. I've lived in Oakland for way too long to even think about it at this point. We didn't pick an apartment in JLS because we couldn't afford to live in SF, we picked it because we couldn't secure a bid on a house in Oakland LOL. Oakland, warts and all, has a very different vibe than SF and lots of people prefer it. It's a much slower pace, the weather is better, it's less congested, it's less expensive, the list goes on and on. They really are a lot more different than they are alike. Just because Oakland has some trendy new places opening up doesn't mean that the owners got priced out of the city. A lot of them are from Oakland and don't see the allure of the big crazy city just across the bay. By the same token, I have friends who live and work in SF that would NEVER dream of living in Oakland. For them, they HAVE to be in SF where all the action is, and Oakland just can't compete in terms of size and excitement. I don't think it's as cut and dry as you've made it out to be. Oakland isn't SF lite- it's Oakland!
I completely agree. Oakland has never tried to be like SF at all throughout it's history, right down to the way the port area and JLS were built. When/if Oakland gentrifies, it will do so in a way that quite likely will widen the gap between it and SF. Right now is probably as close as those two cities ever will be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 08:14 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,161,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I don't think all of this "new" stuff is a directly because of "yupsters."
I do. Oakland was not getting hyped out for squat until middle class, white, yupsters, joined the ranks of those who (in 18montclairs words) don't deserve to live in sf, since they are less affluent.

Now all of a sudden the oakland zoo, first fridays ( nice job stealing sacramentos second saturday concept), and a's games are cool places to be. Even though this stuff has been around for days.

Oaklands cool seems to be directly related to how many bitter people get priced out of sf. Oakland is more lively and filled with young, while sf becomes older, crankier, and more racist. This does not strike me as an organic turn around like what is happening pittsburgh

Old 08-12-2013, 08:40 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
I do. Oakland was not getting hyped out for squat until middle class, white, yupsters, joined the ranks of those who (in 18montclairs words) don't deserve to live in sf, since they are less affluent.

Now all of a sudden the oakland zoo, first fridays ( nice job stealing sacramentos second saturday concept), and a's games are cool places to be. Even though this stuff has been around for days.

Oaklands cool seems to be directly related to how many bitter people get priced out of sf. Oakland is more lively and filled with young, while sf becomes older, crankier, and more racist. This does not strike me as an organic turn around like what is happening pittsburgh
I don't know who pioneered first Friday, but it wasn't Sacto. I have heard about this concept since I was 12 or 14 and I am in my 30s.

I think a big range if things have hit critical mass which is driving growth in Oakland.

The hype is hipster driven, but the overall shift is largely generational.

1. CA is more diverse, especially young people
2. More people want to live in denser areas
3. And the hipster part Is really the search for authenticity
4. Priced out of SF
5. Downtowns are being revitalized all over the US

All of this combined an is impacting Oakland

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:20 AM

343 posts, read 444,867 times
West Oakland gentrification makes the WSJ - Investors Help Fix Up Oakland Neighborhoods - WSJ.com

You can google the title to get around the paywall

Old 08-14-2013, 11:39 AM

296 posts, read 625,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post

The Oakland Zoo?

Old 08-14-2013, 01:31 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,277,565 times
The Oakland zoo has ALWAYS been nicer than the SF zoo, so I'm not sure how it suddenly became hip. Who wants to stare at depressed animals by foggy Ocean Beach when they could go to the Oakland zoo instead?

Old 08-17-2013, 10:00 AM

1,380 posts, read 2,397,877 times
Why do people not want Oakland to improve? So people can feeling better about their town? Afraid of rents skyrocketing? Beyond that, this thread doesn't make any sense to me.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:57 AM

3,098 posts, read 3,784,958 times
the gentrification of temescal and uptown was led by restaurateurs setting up shop and bringing people into the areas. I did not think west Oakland would gentrify very much but I just noticed I have been dining a lot at fusebox and b side bbq the last few months. Believe me I never thought i would go to west Oakland so often

Old 08-18-2013, 04:15 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,631,069 times
First Friday (the Black version) has been around for at least 30 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I don't know who pioneered first Friday, but it wasn't Sacto. I have heard about this concept since I was 12 or 14 and I am in my 30s.

I think a big range if things have hit critical mass which is driving growth in Oakland.

The hype is hipster driven, but the overall shift is largely generational.

1. CA is more diverse, especially young people
2. More people want to live in denser areas
3. And the hipster part Is really the search for authenticity
4. Priced out of SF
5. Downtowns are being revitalized all over the US

All of this combined an is impacting Oakland

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:56 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
First Friday (the Black version) has been around for at least 30 years.
Oh right! My parents went to that one.

And the art one has been around for a long time too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland