U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 08:04 PM

2 posts, read 1,990 times

Advertisements

Hello! I'm going to be relocating from Texas this December or January. I'd like to rent a place. I've spent a handful of weeks in the Bay Area over the last year and know a few areas that seem nice (Rockridge, select parts of Berkeley, Jack London District, and Point Richmond), but I don't know the feasibility of living in these areas. I'm 26 and would like an area with fellow young professionals. I'll be working in Richmond, would like to live fairly close to a BART station(not essential- just would be nice), not married, no kids, would like parking included, want a safe area, and would really like to keep rent for a 1 bed 1 bath to around $1500 with a max of $1800. I'd also like a place that is not a dump. Is this possible? Are there areas I'm not considering (San Rafael? Walnut Creek?). Any feedback is appreciated! Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 09:28 PM

6,183 posts, read 7,774,154 times
Jack London Square is great. I just moved here a few weeks ago and I couldn't be happier. I think you can definitely find a nice 1 BR within that budget if you know where to look.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:18 PM

5,242 posts, read 12,651,951 times
Albany would be an easy commute to Richmond, assuming you're driving to work. It's not too far from the N. Berkeley or El Cerrito BART stations though. It's kind of a quieter, slightly more suburban version of Berkeley.

Rockridge is definitely really nice, if you can find a place there that you can afford then imo it's one of the best places in the East Bay to live. It would be an ok commute by car but taking BART would be a bit incovenient because you have to go one station over to Macarthur, then transfer to another train north. It's not a big hassle though.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:58 AM

18,814 posts, read 30,235,201 times
Crime has been bad lately even in jack London Square from what I've read.

Alameda is a really safe area, but don't know how convenient it would be to get to work.

It's close to Oakland, etc., but known for being safe.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:18 AM

47 posts, read 268,949 times
interesting to know our job market is so great now that we're recruiting from TX. Wow.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:28 AM

343 posts, read 425,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Crime has been bad lately even in jack London Square from what I've read.
What exactly have you been reading?

Old 08-09-2013, 09:50 AM

28,234 posts, read 35,130,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obamadon1 View Post
What exactly have you been reading?
Nosnowforme appears to jump into all Oakland threads to discuss Oakland crime and recommend Alameda. It is interesting.

OP, Alameda is nice but a little too family. I'd say pass until you are older or "settled." You'll have more fun in Oakland. Albany, is kinda the same story. There is a little bit of night life in each. Albany would be a bit better than Alameda only because it does get some spillover from Cal, so there are more students. Cal's family housing is in Albany. And grad students tend to head north to places like El Cerrito and Albany.

If proximity to work is really really critical, than look at El Cerrito and Albany. Even though Oakland isn't far from Richmond, if you have to drive, Oakland can add 15 minutes do to the back up on 80 between Oakland/Berkeley that happens for most of the day on most days of the week. (It really doesn't clear until about 9pm any day of the week).

If you need something a little cheaper, try the neighborhoods around the Lake. These areas are packed with young people, and are convenient. I would not live past approximately the Lakeshore exit in Oakland, only because your commute would be longer, and that location and north is a pretty quick hop on the streets to get to the 80 ramps in Emeryville to skip some of the traffic. Also the Temescal area (god amount of young people, easy access to the 80 ramp near E-ville.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:47 AM

Yeah, not sure where in JLS crime has been bad? I live here and the most exciting thing that seems to happen is Art Murmur once a month, or a new restaurant opening...

Old 08-09-2013, 12:22 PM

28,234 posts, read 35,130,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Yeah, not sure where in JLS crime has been bad? I live here and the most exciting thing that seems to happen is Art Murmur once a month, or a new restaurant opening...
I do think a few blocks are a little quiet to walk by myself. (Those ones right by the freeway, and in the middle of the produce district).

I have had two memorable "incidents" in JLS area that I can share.

1. I was parking near the freeway, around 5th on a quiet and secluded street (surrounded by a private parking lot and the freeway). A man collecting cans in a shopping cart stopped me and told me I should park on another block because this block had lots of car break-ins. We were joking that maybe that guy was doing the break-ins. :P It was a little odd. We re-parked since he kept insisting. (I always see cars parked over there with no issues)

2. Another time, a few years ago, I was walking, and a guy around my age approached me and said: "It is dangerous over here, you shouldn't be walking by yourself. How about I walk with you right now, and you give me your phone number so you can call me next time you need company." I think the perception of fear was masquerading as chivalry in that case.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:35 PM

Those are certainly interesting (and weird!) incidents, but I was wondering when a murder, rape, armed robbery, or car jacking took place here recently? Oakland has a really bad reputation for violent crime, so if that's spilling over into JLS, I'd really like to know when/where this has happened and where I can read about it in the news..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland