Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 12:24 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,444,381 times

Advertisements

As much as it may suck to be in that place right now, it would be a lot worse to be here and homeless. Being gay is fine; being homeless is not. It is not an easy, blessed life; it's a wretched existence that is very hard to escape once trapped in it, and it only leads you down dark paths that dwindle in the quality of life you can experience. I see these people here, and they live heart-wrenchingly desperate lives. So you have to be keep your eyes on the longer-term goal. Finish your education, find your calling, work your way into financial independence, and then come be gay and successful, not homeless, in San Francisco - or wherever else. It's not easy, but patience and determination is worth it. Many others in many walks of life have had to invest a long time to execute their game plan and put themselves in a position where they overcame hard challenges; you can, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 06:40 PM

43 posts, read 65,489 times
Default SF for gay black dude?

On the surface San Francisco seems like a liberal paradise with jobs, culture, etc...but after a recent visit I don't think I'd move there especially if I was black, gay or homeless.

The city is not really that diverse and there are almost no black people there. SF is mostly white with a large Asian presence and a glut of highly paid tech workers who are skyrocketing rents. I think the artists and gays are getting pushed out. Read about it. SF is more geeky straight than diverse gay.

The homeless situation in SF is shocking compared to NYC, LA, Chicago, or Miami because SF is only 46 square miles so you see them or their feces everywhere. So per capita there's less homeless in SF than in other cities but it feels like they are everywhere and they are.

SF homeless are also crazier than any I've seen. I'm talking banging shopping carts in to walls crazy. Here in Miami, homeless-except for the one dead Zombie-are pretty chill because its too hot and we don't have nearly the same levels of meth, heroin,etc..as out West. We also don't have taxes that pay for services or shelters near good areas so you generally don't see them all over.

If I was gay and black I'd live in Miami.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:44 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,273,283 times
Oh please. Miami proper is a DUMP! Miami Beach and Fort Lauderdale have nice areas for gay people (exceedingly white), but Miami itself? Ha. If anything Atlanta is the mecca for black gay culture.

And SF is still gayer than ever. Maybe it's changed from when it used to be blue collar gays back in the 60s/70s, but the city is replete with nerdy tech gay guys who don't want to live in SJ.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:30 AM

1,318 posts, read 3,553,620 times
While there are very few blacks in San Francisco, and that demographic keeps shrinking in SF, but the idea that there are no gay tech workers sounds outright homophobic to me, is the idea now that gays are not capable of technical work?
Either way demographics still say that gays make up about 15% of the population of San Francisco.

Old 11-14-2013, 03:05 AM

620 posts, read 1,198,074 times
Did not read. What did you expect people to say lol. If you do so, there will be plenty like you, plenty. That doesn't mean you should come here and be homeless.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:21 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,457,345 times
I was just wondering about the OP the other day. I hope he's sticking it out in flyover-land to earn a degree so he can get a good job once he comes here.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post
While there are very few blacks in San Francisco, and that demographic keeps shrinking in SF, but the idea that there are no gay tech workers sounds outright homophobic to me, is the idea now that gays are not capable of technical work?
I know dozens of gay tech workers. Tech companies are famously gay-friendly.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:28 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,273,283 times
Did anyone actually say there were no gay tech workers? I said 'replete', which means chock full...

Old 11-14-2013, 11:31 AM

1,318 posts, read 3,553,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
I know dozens of gay tech workers. Tech companies are famously gay-friendly.
I know plenty of gay tech workers myself, my old boss, and my boyfriend included, in fact my boyfriend is a black gay tech worker. With how famously tech companies stick up for gay rights you would think such a negative gay stereotype (that they don't or can't work in tech) wouldn't exists. I guess we still have ways to go as a society.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post
I know plenty of gay tech workers myself, my old boss, and my boyfriend included, in fact my boyfriend is a black gay tech worker. With how famously tech companies stick up for gay rights you would think such a negative gay stereotype (that they don't or can't work in tech) wouldn't exists. I guess we still have ways to go as a society.
It's safe to say I know more gay people who work in tech companies than in restaurants, hair salons, and flower shops COMBINED.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland